Was Bono the first?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AvsGirl41

New Yorker
I stumbled on this quote from Bono:

"I would certainly consider myself to be one of the inventors of the mullet. I think it comes down to Patrick Swayze or me."
- Bono

DID Bono invent the mullet? He certainly must have had one of the earliest mullets, but was he the first?

It's a historical debate.

lol, Bono just had the PERFECT mullet, you know, the one around the time of Unforgettable Fire? It doesn't get any better (or WORSE) than that!!!

I don't know who did it FIRST (probably some drunk person cutting their friend's hair), but I would say David Bowie was the first celebrity to popularize it.

adamswildhoney said:
I have no idea if Bono was the first with a Mullet but I do know he had the best Mullet ever :laugh:

:yes:.

I hate mullets for the most part...I think, on most people, they look pretty dumb.

But Bono's was an exception. He's the only person I've ever seen whose mullet looked good. :D.

It just worked with his young face...

*Avoids turning this into a PLEBA-esque discussion...*

Angela

AvsGirl41 said:
Mullets in The Illiad!! Even David Bowie loses the prize then. Sorry, Ziggy.
Yeah, I'd say that's the winner until someone finds a cave painting of a mulleted hominid hunting a woolly mammoth in western Asia or something.

You know, having grown up in the 70's and 80's, I don't see what's so bad or so funny about a 'mullet.' Back in the day, they were just normal hair, and were known as 'shags.' The shoulder length ones were short shags, the ones down the back were long shags. It was just a normal thing to do if you wanted to keep your hair long but didn't want it in your face. The only ones I don't like are the ones that are shaved in places, then the rest of the hair is bushy, that looks weird. Bono's only true mullet was in the UF days, really just 1984 in the early days of the UF tour into early 1985 when he made the UF video. It had grown out some by Live Aid, and I don't consider that an actual mullet. It did take him awhile to grow it all out into the long JT hair- the Amnesty International tour of 1986 was an example of his 'in between' stage.

fringepretty.jpg

True mullet in all its glory:

posterbonolivemullet.jpg

Oh dear, now I have officially turned this into a PLEBA thread :eek:

One more word in defense of the "mullet," joke all you want, I'd much rather see a "mullet" than a crewcut or one of those gelled to the max shaved spike looks going around today. I can't wait until that look finally goes out and then we can all laugh at it!;)

yertle-the-turtle said:
Headache's post was brilliant

if we had some sort of Oscars it would win best post

i'd like to thank the accademy, my mom, dad, and most importantly, i'd like to thank joe dirt. thank you joe! this one's for you!!!

maybe someone can find a biblical reference to a mullet... on the 5th day, god created adam's hair, which doth be short in the front, and flowing like the river tigris in the back. and so it was, and it was good.

im embarrassed to show my friends things like rattle and hum because of that damn mullet :no:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i'd like to thank the accademy, my mom, dad, and most importantly, i'd like to thank joe dirt. thank you joe! this one's for you!!!

maybe someone can find a biblical reference to a mullet... on the 5th day, god created adam's hair, which doth be short in the front, and flowing like the river tigris in the back. and so it was, and it was good.

:lmao:

Yes, UF was definitely the classic mullet. I always thought it was cool when he couldn't decide between a shag and a mullet, like so:

paul_jeanshirt.jpg

Still, I don't look down on Bono for it. I think Adam's fro was worse. :uhoh: (But that may just be me.)

AvsGirl41 said:
I think Adam's fro was worse. :uhoh: (But that may just be me.)

No, it's not just you who feels that way. I'm not a fan of the fro, either.

And yay to the UF look Bono had. :up: ("Pride" video is a great example of how good it looked on him).

Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

:lol:. :D.

"Joe Dirt" was an interesting little movie.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom