Was ATYCLB recieved this well? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:56 PM
Was ATYCLB recieved this well?

Were the thoughts on ATYCLB this positive when the album first leaked?

Old 11-06-2004, 05:34 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:56 AM
I'd like to know that too!

Old 11-06-2004, 05:36 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:56 AM
i really don't know the answer to that.

but i think it's going to be hard for anyone to say that A Bomb isn't lightyears beyond ATYCLB.

amazing
Old 11-06-2004, 05:37 PM   #4
Refugee

From what I can remember NO! I personally love ATYCLB but there was a hell of a lot of knockers! This place didn't go mad as it did today! Yeah I know more people are online now then 3-4 years ago, it still got slated!
Old 11-06-2004, 05:37 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I was around back then. I think we all tried to put a good face on it, but many of us were disappointed.

I didn't really like any of the songs. The only one that has really grown on me is Beautiful Day.

I like Elevation, Kite, and Walk On live, but I really don't listen to the rest that often.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:38 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I think it was well recieved but I don't think words like 'masterpiece' and such were thrown around like with this album?

I wasn't on Inteference at the time though...so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:42 PM   #7
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:56 AM
I highly doubt ATYCLB would have had the absolutely PHENOMENAL reception Hut Dab is having right now. This is how I imagine it would have been for people playing The Joshua Tree for the first time. "HOLY SHIT! This is a classic, isn't it?"

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-06-2004, 05:44 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah ... HTDAAB has already gotten me some.

Thanks boys.....
Old 11-06-2004, 05:44 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
Yeah ... HTDAAB has already gotten me some.

Thanks boys.....
I think that's a little more than we wanted to know.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:44 PM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 06:56 AM
Feck no. We liked it but not this much. There were far more haters than now.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:55 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:56 AM
ATYCLB was welcomed with praise and a little derise. I think most people liked it initially, of course you have that segment of U2 fans that would like it if it were Bono farting for 4 mintues, but also to be fair any new U2 is going to be exciting, unless it's downright poor.

The detractors of ATYCLB were loud and remained loud, and for all intents and purpposes are still loud, it's just that it seems that there are more now than there were then. The album (ATYCLB) didn't seem to age well. Very digestable, but ultimately it was only about 5 or 6 songs strong. This is highly subjective, but I think that is a fairly accurate consensus opinion. It's a good album, maybe not as strong as their other work, considering some of the songs weren't maybe as strong. Again, this is very subjective, just putting together an opinion on what I've seen on this board over the last 4 years.

As for HTDAAB, it's too early to tell, people were praising ATYCLB too, and as I said it didn't seem to age well with a lot of people.
My guess is that HTDAAB is much much stronger on a whole for the entire fanbase. I can't really offer my opinions on the whole album, I've just downloaded the 5 songs that were already leaked in some fashion or another (have to look forward to something) so I'll wait for the official release for the other 6 tracks. And I'll be downloading Fast Cars as soon as it's available, I live in the US so I won't be getting it officially anyways.

My personal opinion is that the 5 songs I've heard from HTDAAB are far and away, clearly better than the 5 weakest tracks from ATYCLB.

But overall, I would say that ATYCLB met a lot of praise when it was leaked. I guess HTDAAB is too, it's much too early to tell.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:11 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

no, it wasn't received as well as this, by a mile.

atyclb was given it's due, but this is different altogether.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:22 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:56 AM
I just wanted to add that I havent really read all the threads and such, so maybe I don't appreciate the extent of the lovefest that HTDAAB is receiving right now, but was just saying people loved ATYCLB a lot too.

I think a great song comparison might be WILATW> which is a good song, but could have been so much better had they maybe reworked it a little and put a better vocal track etc.

It seems as if U2 might have had a good record back in the winter '03, and went back in with Lillywhite to make it a great record. Early indications are that they succeded maybe where ATYCLB failed. That's just what it seems like at this point. I think POP got better with age, ATYCLB didn't and maybe HTDAAB is good from the start like the earlier work up until Zooropa.
Sure, that's just my take, but that's what we do on this board.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:29 PM   #14
Acrobat

A lot of people were saying ATYCLB was their 3rd masterpiece when it leaked. But most of the time, that declaration depended upon different track listing, song deletions, additions, and what not...meaning it wasn't much of an "album," but we liked a lot of the songs.

HTDAAB doesn't have as many variables to deal with. It's a stronger album with plenty of great tunes.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:46 AM   #15
War Child

I was around here when ATYCLB broke, and it WAS enthusiastic (coming as a follow up to the disappointment of Pop)...but I think it was generally acknowledged that ATYCLB was a safe "insurance-policy" kind of album, though the glorious return of soaring U2 anthems were welcomed warmly. But THIS album...who honestly expected U2 still had THIS level of artistic depth to draw from???

They should just skip the tour and KEEP MAKING ALBUMS...make 2 more albums in the next three years and then do one last super tour, come home, make one last album and quit in their early 50's. (my unsolicited advice)
Old 11-07-2004, 09:51 AM   #16
The Fly

I don't know about everyone here because I didn't know about this site, but I can say that while I love ATYCLB now, it didn't blow me away. This album has.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:53 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:56 PM
No.
I have yet to see a post saying I don't like/hate the album - and there were a few of those right away with ATYCLB.

I think U2's albums tend to get weaker in second half and have 1 or 2 songs that "kill" the album. JT hat Trip through your wires, AB had Tryin', Zooropa had Some days... and Daddy's gonna pay, POP had Miami, ATYCLB had (IMO) WILATW and Grace.

Should be interesting to see how HTDAAB deals with it.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:35 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 02:56 PM
well it was very well received by critics and also by fans. also on this website! especially the first couple of days everyone was pumoped, but soon a lot of people became mor critical and it got bashed quite a bit also.

having said that; htdaab is welcomed a lot better and deservingly so.
right now, when you compare both albums, it'd say only beautiful day wins it from vertigo (by far), but almost all other songs from atyclb are squashed by their equivalences (in track order) of htdaab
Old 11-07-2004, 11:41 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:56 AM
i can only speak for myself on this matter, because i wasn't around these parts when ATYCLB came out. i was pumped for ATYCLB, but i was a little disappointed. some of the songs grew on me, some still haven't. but then, i just really got into pop, so there's still time.

as for the bomb, i am in love. i tried to keep my expectations in check because i didn't want to be disappointed this time out, but there was no need. i am blown away. pure genius.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:56 AM   #20
War Child

I was a lurker on interference back in those days, and I agree with the insurance policy description. Most everyone felt then as they do now. First half was strong, but then you got a lot of arguements about the strength of the second half. Grace, Peace on Earth, etc.