WARNING... U2 is "Massified"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyChicken

Acrobat
I was talking to this person who was completely prejudice against U2 because apparently they have been "Massified".

That word doesn't seem to be in any of my dictionaries but I'm assuming it means something along the lines of having mass popularity and record sales, but you're not a brilliant artist (Along the lines of those manufactured bands I assume).

She also said you always know what to expect from U2 because they use the same formula on every album.

She didn't seem to be very knowledgable about the music though.

I think she was just jealous that her favourite band, Blur hasn't achieved as U2.
Hence why she was prejudice against them without knowing a thing about them.

Is there such a word as "massified"?
And is U2 "massified"?

Hmm...are you sure this isn't from the same person who said "strategery"?

------------------
Show a little faith
There's magic in the night

all i know is U2 are brilliant strategarians.
they must be, otherwise they wouldn't be so massified as they are.

Actually worldwide, in terms of total sales, they are bigger than Creed. Then add in Concert Business and Creed is blown out the door. Creed sells out single nights in Arena's in big cities but does not attempt to sell rear or side view seats. Tickets are so cheap around 37 dollars on average. Still their single show in the USA's fourth largest city Philadelphia failed to sellout.
Yes, Creed has big number in USA album sales, but their concert following in the USA is a tiny fraction of that. Go outside the USA and Creed would struggle to fill clubs and theaters, let alone sell albums. Nearly all of the 5 million albums they have sold so far are in the USA. U2 has currently sold 10.5 million of ATYCLB worldwide!

Massified: having mass popularity and record sales without being a brilliant artist.

U2: brilliant artists.

Therefore, U2 are not massified,
smile.gif

Originally posted by Saracene:
Massified: having mass popularity and record sales without being a brilliant artist.

U2: brilliant artists.

Therefore, U2 are not massified,
smile.gif

That's what I meant by Creed being more massivicated.

What I find funny is not the massified part, but her thinking that U2 use the same formula on every album. Is she insane? or just completely unknowledgable of U2's music catalog? Strange

Originally posted by womanfish:
What I find funny is not the massified part, but her thinking that U2 use the same formula on every album. Is she insane? or just completely unknowledgable of U2's music catalog? Strange

No, no... she's right - U2 *do* use the same formula on each album.

On every album, Bono writes some brilliant lyrics and sings some outstanding vocals. On every album, Edge amazes us with his guitar wizardry. On every album, Larry and Adam just prove how they not only build a fantastic foundation for each song, but that they are constantly improving in their techniques. And on every album, U2 look for a change in style and sound.

In other words, U2 are very repititious - if you consider brilliance and a constantly evolving sound as "formulaic."
wink.gif

Originally posted by doctorwho:

On every album, Bono writes some brilliant lyrics and sings some outstanding vocals. On every album, Edge amazes us with his guitar wizardry. On every album, Larry and Adam just prove how they not only build a fantastic foundation for each song, but that they are constantly improving in their techniques. And on every album, U2 look for a change in style and sound.

In other words, U2 are very repititious - if you consider brilliance and a constantly evolving sound as "formulaic."
wink.gif

Exactly! I mean, JEEZ, will they ever make a record that doesn't just repeat all the others?
wink.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
So what was her favorite band then?

And FYI: U2 has not reached the level of massifization as Creed.

I she worships Blur, which I don't think is bad. They've had some good songs.

The whole thing started when she was complaining about there not being enough decent British pop music being produce these days.

I still can't figure out why being the biggest band in the world is a bad thing. Weren't the Beatles "massified" during Beatlemania? I don't understand stupid people.

I don't understand them either. People are so stupid -- they think any band that is in the top 10 or whatever are crap and have sold out. Has it ever occurred to them that GOOD music can be in the charts -- even if it happens only once in a blue moon? My uncle is like that -- the most mainstream thing he'll buy is Tenacious D and that's it. He likes alternative bands and old weird people you've never heard of. I'm not saying that's bad if you happen to prefer it, but he acts like that is where the only good music is.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

wink.gif

Brilliant, brilliant!!!
smile.gif
Thanks for the smile of the evening! This is from here on a classic quote for me to use, if I may?

Originally posted by candyfloss:
I hope you're joking.

No, who are they? Especially if one of their fans is giving a U2 fan shit. Maybe I know who they are, but haven't heard their name. being unknown isn't anything to be that proud of.

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02

wink.gif

I couldn't have said it any better myself!!!

Originally posted by martha:
Who the fuck is Blur?

S'okay, martha--I didn't know who they were either. And people should just kindly answer the question instead of being sarcastic. Not that I'm defensive or anything.
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom