War Vs. Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which is the better album?

• WAR

Votes: 33 47.1%
  • POP

Votes: 37 52.9%

• Total voters

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I of course pick WAR, but after seeing WAR get pounced by ZOOROPA, I wanted to see how it would do against POP on this forum.

How was it surprising to see Zooropa preferred over War? As a cohesive whole it is much better. War has some gems and I do enjoy the disc, but it just ain't quite like Zooropa. :D

Interesting. There seems to be a tie right now (3-3) even though Zooropa beat War in a recent poll, and Pop beat Zooropa in a recent poll. I still think Pop's going to win this one. If it doesn't, these poll results won't make one bit of sense and it will be impossible to get an overall ranking of the albums by this forum's members.

Actually I listen to both records as often, but I voted for PoP cos I'm in the mood for a long sad night of Velvet Dress right now. :(

Desire4Bono is right

War

Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Drowning Man
Two Hearts Beat as One
Surrender

that's already more than half the album
gets my vote

WAR! it is my favorite album. Sunday bloody sunday, new years day, two hearts, 40..my god people war (the album) kicks major ASS!! It's the whole thing like carson daly said how U2 was great.."the beat of every heart....a kick in the balls, a fist in the air" That is epitomized (is that an word?) on war. I listen to it with repeat on all the time..as soon as 40 is over, SBS starts it right back up! you know that chill you get when you hear or play really great music? I get that with war. I don't know about some people here..how can you not like war! Even the cover kicks ass!

Desire4Bono said:
I voted for War, but it won't win. Pop will beat anything but AB on THIS board. There are just too many Pop obsessed people here.

:( And what's wrong with that?

That's one possible drawback to these polls...It's like a war (no pun intended) between the albums.

The way I see it...They're all U2 albums. U2, imho, is the best band there ever was. No one can ever top them for me. I love all their albums, but in different ways. :happy:

I go for WAR! As much as I love POP, I don't tend to skip any songs and can listen to it non stop without skipping a song! Great album!:cool:

POP.....i'm much more of a 90's u2 fan than 80's stuff and it has my fav song on it ......."GONE" :D

AdamsMango said:
WAR! it is my favorite album. Sunday bloody sunday, new years day, two hearts, 40..my god people war (the album) kicks major ASS!! It's the whole thing like carson daly said how U2 was great.."the beat of every heart....a kick in the balls, a fist in the air" That is epitomized (is that an word?) on war. I listen to it with repeat on all the time..as soon as 40 is over, SBS starts it right back up! you know that chill you get when you hear or play really great music? I get that with war. I don't know about some people here..how can you not like war! Even the cover kicks ass!

I couldn't of said it better myself- WAR is superb, I think that the reason why a lot of the newer albums do well is that it seems that a lot of the people who post here are more into 90s U2, whilst I love the newer stuff and Zooropa is my second fave album, you just cant beat the power of WAR and when you place it up against Pop, well for me there is just no comparrison, War is just so much more better:)

Gah! This is hard!!!! These are the two albums that are hardest for me to choose between! I like War just a little bit better though! I still love Pop a lot though (they are my #3 and #4 albums)

WAR, Pop is my least favorite U2 album.

Sting2, how could you subject our great classic to such humiliation? :grumpy:

WAR ROCKS

WAR RULES

and always will

that's why its songs are played on the radio every day 19 years after its release

and none of Pop's are 5 years after its release

the music will live forever

the legacy speaks for itself

WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Desire4Bono said:
Pop will beat anything but AB on THIS board. There are just too many Pop obsessed people here.

I agree with you 100%. Alot of the fans in this forum seem to have become U2 fans because of POP. Discotheque and Miami over SBS and New Year's Da! Yep, that makes so much sense.

Seconds said:

I agree with you 100%. Alot of the fans in this forum seem to have become U2 fans because of POP. Discotheque and Miami over SBS and New Year's Da! Yep, that makes so much sense.

Who said Discotheque and Miami over SBS and NYD? How about Gone and Please? Or maybe it's just that War has those two amazing tracks, while Pop has a horde of really awesome ones.

I like both albums a lot. War has many many great songs. So does Pop, and I choose Pop because it has more of my all time favourites, and it's also much more interesting.

Desire4Bono said:
I voted for War, but it won't win. Pop will beat anything but AB on THIS board. There are just too many Pop obsessed people here.

Actually, Pop got destroyed by The Joshua Tree in a tournament poll, so that's two albums that can beat it. Not to mention that I'm pretty sure ATYCLB could edge it out as well.

Gypsyheartgirl,

I decided to do this poll after someone else did a poll where ZOOROPA destroyed WAR in the poll. It was like 75% to 25%. This poll is much closer though, still it looks like WAR is going to lose which is a shock.

Sula,

I like ZOOROPA a lot better now, more than my friends, but when it came out in 1993 several of my friends stopped being U2 fans when they heard it and the rest of us thought U2 had made a drastic mistake. I like the album and understand a lot more today, but it is still after October, my least favorite U2 album. Most of my friends can really stand it except for Stay. The fact that it beat WAR in a poll here is incomprehensible. WAR could possibly be U2s finest album. Nearly every track on there is a classic. 3 of them still get airplay after 19 years. I have not heard anything from ZOOROPA on the radio since 1993-1994.

Its to bad, but fans on this forum simply do not appreciate early U2. I'll do some polls to see if WAR can beat ATYCLB or Rattle And Hum, and if it can't, it means that people here only consider WAR to be superior to the prior albums Boy, and October, and in my opinion, an obvious sign of brand new fans failing to appreciate one of U2s most important periods. Because the albums are old, new fans put those albums to the back of the shelf. What a mistake.

STING2 said:

Its to bad, but fans on this forum simply do not appreciate early U2. I'll do some polls to see if WAR can beat ATYCLB or Rattle And Hum, and if it can't, it means that people here only consider WAR to be superior to the prior albums Boy, and October, and in my opinion, an obvious sign of brand new fans failing to appreciate one of U2s most important periods. Because the albums are old, new fans put those albums to the back of the shelf. What a mistake.

I agree! Of course there are exceptions, but this is for the most part sad but true. :(

STING2 said:
Its to bad, but fans on this forum simply do not appreciate early U2. I'll do some polls to see if WAR can beat ATYCLB or Rattle And Hum, and if it can't, it means that people here only consider WAR to be superior to the prior albums Boy, and October, and in my opinion, an obvious sign of brand new fans failing to appreciate one of U2s most important periods.

I wouldn't want you to waste your time with pitting War up against ATYCLB because there's no way it would win. Just check my latest polls to see where it ranks. When all's said and done, your probably right about where War will rank. It will definitely beat UABRS, B-Sides 1980-1990, Boy and October. However, it's behind every studio album that was released after it in this forum's album rankings. I can't really agree with you on the old vs. the new at this forum. The Joshua Tree is the second most liked album here, and as of right now The Unforgettable Fire was beating Zooropa in a poll. You have to remember that the band has such classic albums like JT, AB and ATYCLB, along with UF, which most consider to be better than War, that War is going to be overshadowed by at least a few albums here. I don't really think that there's many here who write off the 80's as the band's weaker decade. I'm a newer fan and my top 6 albums are varied in fact between all three decades (JT, ATYCLB, AB, Zooropa, UF, War), so I don't really think there's that many people that are simply blindly voting for the 90's albums here due to their age. Age has nothing to do with it, it's all about the music.

And to make you feel better, this was the easiest poll ever as Pop=the band at their worst. There. I said it.

Yet POP is beating WAR in this poll. When I say old U2, I mean anything before the Joshua Tree and more specifically the first three albums, considered by many including the band, to be their first era or phase. Growing up, the term "OLD U2" or "EARLY DAYS" always refered to their early 80s stuff. I have been a fan since 1987, but even in 1992, the two songs that all concert going fans wanted to hear the most were SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY and NEW YEARS DAY. If we had been doing these polls in early 1992, I'd say WAR would be beating everything out, except maybe the Joshua Tree. Although people held Unforgettable Fire in high regard, back then WAR by most people was viewed as the superior album. Part of this may be do to the Under A Blood Red Sky Video that was often shown on TV prior to 1992 and featured many songs from WAR in their explosive live context. In addition, despite only going Gold in its first of year release compared to the Platinum achieved by UF in its first year in the USA, in 1995 WAR hit 4 times platinum while UF was certified at the lower 3 times platinum. WAR had sold a full 33% more than UF.

To sum up, when I say "old U2", I was refering to the first 4 U2 studio albums. So in that context, I think I have a point. In addition, I remember how popular these albums were among U2 fans 10 years ago, and most of them would look in horror at what ZOOROPA has defeated in these Polls. In 1992 WAR was the top classic U2 album with the exception of Joshua Tree. People were still studying Achtung Baby at that point.

Interesting to see that War started off with slower sales, but somehow managed to eclipse UF. I think that those older fans that you refer to who didn't like Zooropa and probably didn't care much for Pop, are either not fans anymore, or don't have access to the internet, which is why they aren't voting in this poll. I mean, just judging by record sales and hit singles alone, War was twice as popular in both categories. So, you do bring up a good point about how the audience here didn't witness the band around the War period to truly appreciate the album.

BigMacPhisto said:
Interesting to see that War started off with slower sales, but somehow managed to eclipse UF. I think that those older fans that you refer to who didn't like Zooropa and probably didn't care much for Pop, are either not fans anymore, or don't have access to the internet, which is why they aren't voting in this poll. I mean, just judging by record sales and hit singles alone, War was twice as popular in both categories. So, you do bring up a good point about how the audience here didn't witness the band around the War period to truly appreciate the album.

It's not that the older fans aren't fans anymore or don't have access to the internet, many of them don't know about this site or don't have time to surf the net. I know many U2 fans of all ages and most of them just can't into hanging around here. It's just not their thing like it is ours, but they still buy the stuff and love the band and are no less fans than we are here. As a matter of fact, in the GA lines I stood (and sat and slept) in, I met loads of people, but none of them were interferencers! I met a couple from wire and one from u2list. So there are literally thousands, maybe millions, of U2 fans out there who are not here voicing their opinions. Add that to the fact that the vast majority of the users here are lurkers who just don't post or vote. Ever read the members list? About 80% of them have less than 100 posts, over half probably have none or only a handful. I do think that on this board, there are more fans who started liking the band around Pop and are partial to it than any other type of fan, though that may just be the minority in fans overall. There are older fans who came in at different albums, and even some, many I think, who just came to love the band at ATYCLB. So what we get here is only the opinion of about 50-100 people who happen to be here and happen to push the button.

What does it matter though? I don't get why people get so over-worked about what people here in this board like? So some like the old stuff and some LOVE POP! WOW is that a crime? It's annoying sometimes! I'm sure there's tons of people out there who love POP and have been fans since the "80's" and don't vote here either! But like who cares! :huh: Ok, at least I don't! :p

The way I see it people are going to love something because shoot they just do! I don't think you had be "around" the war era to fully appreciate that album. Nor does it matter that you became a fan in the 90's! There's tons of fans who became fans in the 90's and love the 80's stuff more and vice versa!
I don't know. I't gets annoying sometimes!:tongue: Don't me an to sound all rude but I just don't care really why people love/hate or when they started liking and why they like this album, its like OKAY! :)

Maybe I'm just weird!:huh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom