War vs Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

War vs Bomb

• War

Votes: 59 48.0%
  • Bomb

Votes: 64 52.0%

• Total voters

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
You know the drill.

I vote for War, easily. SBS, Seconds, NYD, Like A Song, Drowning Man, Two Hearts, Surrender, 40 :drool:

Definately War. To me, this is the album where the U2 sounds as a coherent group for the first time and yet they already start experimenting (Seconds and Red Light).

War is full of good songs, whereas HTDAAB..... is not.

Regards,
Elmer

Bomb

It's hard to say which is better, I use to rank this two albums in #5 and #6...

War is classic, NYD, SBS, 40, Seconds, Two Hearts Beat as One, Like a Song... but Red Light is too much bad to be true... and Surrender and The Refugee never were favourites of mine too.

Bomb... like I said many times I love many songs from this album (COBL, MD, LAPOE, OOTS, OSC) and IMO it has only one really weak track: All Because of You.

Atomic Bomb. There are some historical pieces in War, obviously like Sunday, New Year's, Drowning Man and 40, but in its overall I think it could've been a better album, maybe a bit more homogeneous. Which in fact became The Unforgettable Fire 1 year later. But it's a good album anyway, the most rebel album of U2

The second half of Bomb < second half of War.

And NOTHING beats New Year's Day. Except for Streets and Bad. :tsk:

amerrydeath said:
The second half of Bomb < second half of War.

And NOTHING beats New Year's Day. Except for Streets and Bad. :tsk:

I've been very high on New Year's Day lately...it's in my top three U2 songs. As much as I enjoy it, however, I still side with Bomb. It's more meaty.

Wow..very tough.

I guess I have to go with WAR because of the many classics that came from it. This is no slight to Bomb, however, as I think it's a great album.

I've been loving the live versions of New Years Day lately. It's gotta be their finest piece of work from a composition point of view. The mix of the awesome bass line, awesome piano riff, and Edge's guitar work is phenomenal......a tremendous song.

By all means-WAR. This was the grunge album of that era. Helicopter guitars, intensity, urgency and more original than anything I could think of at that time.

War is better by far.
About half of Bomb is quite boring to me (AMAAW, ABOY, Yahweh, OOTS, MD). Vertigo and COBL are great hit records, but the album just doesn't have the overall feel of what a great album should be. It doesn't flow like Joshua Tree, UF, or Achtung Baby, or yes, even War.
I could listen (and HAVE listened) to War all the way through over and over.
Surrender is one of their most underrated songs ever and unlike a lot of people here, I don't mind Red Light and the Refugee. Also, keep in mind that in 1983, U2 was unknown to much of the world, and then came out with New Years' Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday and start selling out 10-15,000 seat arenas in the US. It's the album that put them on the map and on the charts, while the Bomb is just another album with a couple decent hits and sing-alongs.

MumblingBono said:
Energetic coming-of-age milestone vs. Latter-era mediocrity: easy for me.

War

Exactly! To me, it's not about which album has more good songs!

War was U2 at their most fiery and political, a band that was bursting at it's seams with ambition to break away from the post punk routine and become larger than life! And boy, did they succeed! ...while the Bomb is U2 doing what they do best, not pushing the envelope with any new fiery passion or inspiration, basically resting on their laurels, thats it.

I think the Bomb is a good album. But War is great!

Zootlesque said:

War was U2 at their most fiery and political, a band that was bursting at it's seams with ambition to break away from the post punk routine and become larger than life! And boy, did they succeed! ...while the Bomb is U2 doing what they do best, not pushing the envelope with any new fiery passion or inspiration, basically resting on their laurels, thats it.

I think the Bomb is a good album. But War is great!

War for all the reasons stated above. I didn't even need to think about it. And how is the Bomb winning??

War is not a good album in my opinion.

It has SBS, NYD, 40 and Surrender, some of the best U2 songs (SBS certainly is) but then it also has The Refugee, Drowning Man and Red Light, maybe the three worst U2 songs ever.

War never really grew on me all that much. Besides Seconds, SBS, NYD, and 40 (which are all terrific, by the way), it's kind of so-so for me. Maybe I just need to start playing it more.

...But until then, my answer is Bomb. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom