War vs Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

War vs Bomb

• War

Votes: 59 48.0%
  • Bomb

Votes: 64 52.0%

• Total voters
War side A is probably the greatest run of songs U2 have ever strung together on an album.

SBS
Seconds
NYD
Like a Song
Drowning Man

They're all ace. Then side B goes right down the toilet, only Two Hearts Beat As One propping the whole thing up.

HTDAAB has a strong start, not as strong as War's 1-5, but still good. What HTDAAB does have is Crumbs, OOTS, and Yahweh to hold up the second half of the record.

That tips the scale for me: HTDAAB

MrBrau1 said:
War side A is probably the greatest run of songs U2 have ever strung together on an album.

SBS
Seconds
NYD
Like a Song
Drowning Man

They're all ace.

This is a killer run as well from ATYCLB (probably my fav run):

1.Beautiful Day
2.Stuck in a Moment
3. Elevation
4. Walk On
5. Kite
6. In a Little While

Or this from Joshua Tree:

Where the Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With or Without You
Bullet the Blue Sky

MrBrau1 said:
They're all ace. Then side B goes right down the toilet, only Two Hearts Beat As One propping the whole thing up.

Nah...Side B has Two Hearts, Surrender, and "40" :) Great stuff.

Neither is my favourite, War has 2 of the best U2 songs but only half of the album is worthwhile..some of it has dated terribly (eg The Refugee). Bomb is an album I'm not as fond of as I used to be, but I think its a more solid album overall.

Zootlesque said:

To me, it's not about which album has more good songs!

I think the Bomb is a good album. But War is great!

While I agree that an overall "feel" to the album is always important, I feel War cannot be seen as a superior album when it has maybe 2-3 standout songs and like someone else said, 3 of the worst U2 songs ever..its not like the non-standouts are all solid tunes.

Sleep Over Jack said:

I feel War cannot be seen as a superior album when it has maybe 2-3 standout songs and like someone else said, 3 of the worst U2 songs ever..its not like the non-standouts are all solid tunes.

That's where we disagree. :wink: I think NYD, Like A Song, SBS, Surrender, Drowning Man, 40 and Seconds are all brilliant! And I do like to an extent.. The Refugee and Red Light. Two Hearts is probably the only song I don't care much about.

If you seriously think Drowning Man is one of the worst U2 songs ever, I feel sorry for you.

It is gorgeous.

namkcuR said:
If you seriously think Drowning Man is one of the worst U2 songs ever, I feel sorry for you.

It is gorgeous.

I wouldn't say gorgeous but for sure it is highly underrated. No way it can be one of U2 worst songs.

red Light and The Refugee are the songs that make War stay behind of Boy or HTDAAB in my rankings. I never liked Surrender too, but is much better than these two :yuck:

Behind these three, the other seven tracks are classic, but it's not enough

MacPhistoPT said:

I wouldn't say gorgeous but for sure it is highly underrated. No way it can be one of U2 worst songs.

red Light and The Refugee are the songs that make War stay behind of Boy or HTDAAB in my rankings. I never liked Surrender too, but is much better than these two :yuck:

Behind these three, the other seven tracks are classic, but it's not enough

SBS
Seconds
NYD
Like A Song
Drowning Man
Two Hearts
Surrender
"40"

are classics imo.

We'll have to agree to disagree because I think 8 classics are more than enough :)

namkcuR said:

SBS
Seconds
NYD
Like A Song
Drowning Man
Two Hearts
Surrender
"40"

are classics imo.

We'll have to agree to disagree because I think 8 classics are more than enough :)

The difference it's only Surrender, we're almost equal.

I use to rank War at #6, behind HTDAAB but they are almost tied.

War has 7 great tracks, 1 skipper and 2 vomit-inducing
HTDDAB has 8 great tracks, 3 hit and miss and 1 vomit-inducing.
It's close

Oh...

can't forget

IMO :wink:

namkcuR said:

SBS
Seconds
NYD
Like A Song
Drowning Man
Two Hearts
Surrender
"40"

are classics imo.

The only song we can't see eye to eye on is Two Hearts, it seems.

namkcuR said:

It is gorgeous.

i don't think we agree on much, but i'm right with you here. drowning man IS gorgeous.
:yes:
i don't feel like voting or choosing anymore. but running through all this stuff reminds me how many really good songs they've written.

cjboog said:
You can't beat the Bomb. Bomb beat Boy, Bomb beat Zooropa, Bomb is beating War, Who's next!? Stand in line!!

Bomb vs Achtung or JT would be no contest. Bomb vs Pop, well it's the Christmas season and I don't think we should go there. Blood will be spilled.

HTDAAB is an amazing album! The quality never drops. War is a great classic album, but it does not stand up to the BOMB.

War is U2 finding their political voice while maintaining and expanding upon their spiritual themes. It also has real passion and urgency.

HTDAAB is U2 saying, "Oh, gee, I guess it's time to release another album. Let's see what we can do to make ourselves sound as familiar and marketable as possible."

Bono's shades said:

HTDAAB is U2 saying, "Oh, gee, I guess it's time to release another album. Let's see what we can do to make ourselves sound as familiar and marketable as possible."

:lol:

You hit the nail on the fucking head right there! :up:

Yep. God forbid a band come up with a sound and style all their own. And then actually play it.

Yet a trend jump on a grand scale is called "innovative", "brave", and "creative."

Start that Pop poll.

Last edited:
I think if there's a Pop-Bomb poll it should be a poll only, without comments or it might not last 3 pages.

Then again nothing else is going on right now
:shrug:

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:
I think if there's a Pop-Bomb poll it should be a poll only, without comments or it might not last 3 pages.

Then again nothing else is going on right now
:shrug:

Negative threads get all the attention.

Start a positive threat about actually liking the music, and nobody cares.

MrBrau1 said:

Negative threads get all the attention.

Start a positive threat about actually liking the music, and nobody cares.

amen :up:

but it can turn into "YOU'RE NOT A TRUE FAN IF YOU LIKE/DISLIKE THIS"

not everyone's like that, but the few that are can be very verbal

It's a tossup for me so I can't vote

You HAVE to be kidding!!!
On "New Years Day" "Sunday Bloody Sunday" "Like A Song" "Drowning Man" and "40" WAR WINS HANDSDOWN!!!
Nothing on Bomb comes even close to these gems. Nothing I tell ya!!!

Back
Top Bottom