War is crap.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Their 5th best album, after AB, JT, UF and Zooropa, in my opinion!

I rate it ahead of Pop, HTDAAB and ATCYLB.

In other words at the age of 23 U2 put out an album better than any of their three most recent ones, IMHO.

Consider how tracks from War are still being played on the radio - do people think tracks from Pop, HTDAAB or ATCYLB will be getting radio play in 20 years time? I'm sceptical!

Last edited:
I think War is great not sure where i would rate it amongst U2 albums seems to really depend on my mood....

...and to Financeguy i think Beautiful Day is going to be around for an awful long time:yes:

Beautiful Day is quite honestly one of my least favourite U2 songs. I fail to understand why it is so highly regarded.

My favorite U2 album. However I was around when it first came out and it was the best music of the time. Music changes as people change. It will always be my favorite album because it was the best in the time. You really mean to tell me that when you hear NYD or SBS in concert you don't get excited???

:shame: on you for starting such a horrific thread.

financeguy said:
Beautiful Day is quite honestly one of my least favourite U2 songs. I fail to understand why it is so highly regarded.

Because a lot of people like it an awful lot?:wink:

I just think its a brilliant pop/rock song...i loved singing it in the rain coming home from school on one of my last days:drool:

boystupidboy said:
It sounds so dated to me,an album of its time.Whereas i feel UF has aged far better than war ...

In a way i agree that War is abit dated, but it still is a brillant album, the lyrics on some songs sound abit out of date eg Seconds, but I don't understand how a album with SBS and NYD is crap. They are 2 of u2's best. NYD my top 10 and SBS my top 20.

War is amazing, one of their best

SBS, Seconds, NYD, Like a Song, Drowning Man. One of the best starts to a u2 album.

Also two hearts, surrender and 40 are amazing.

The 2 songs that most dislike - The Refugee and Red Light - I like a lot, there are no tracks I dislike on this album. So IMO War = not crap.

By no means crap maybe slightly over rated due to the fact it has New Years Day and Sunda Bloody Sunday on it, but i feel boy is better and if it had had the same production quality as war, and teh same vocal quality from bono it would be considered a masterpiece by all, imo.

My favorite album. I love the mood that it sets. There's a sense of hope in pretty much every song, even when the subject matter is dark. You can tell by the words of Like A Song (and others) that this band has something to say.

Even though War is my fav album, I'm not highly pissed by this thread. It's actually refreshing to see someone dissing an album other than ATYCLB or HTDAAB. :wink:

Last edited:
War's probably my first or second LEAST favorite U2 album. I think it's great though. The two big ones are fantastic, and 40 is a classic. Seconds is a cool song, and so is Surrender. Other than that though, the rest of the album could not exist and I wouldn't care less.

Exit thru Wire said:
The 2 songs that most dislike - The Refugee and Red Light - I like a lot, there are no tracks I dislike on this album. So IMO War = not crap.

I think I am probaly the only person who thinks The Refugee is a 4.5 star song it is brillant.

Lancemc said:
War's probably my first or second LEAST favorite U2 album. I think it's great though. The two big ones are fantastic, and 40 is a classic. Seconds is a cool song, and so is Surrender. Other than that though, the rest of the album could not exist and I wouldn't care less.

Substitute Surrender for Drowning Man and you more or less have my opinion. :)
An album with SBS and NYD can still be crap when it also has songs on it like Red Light, The Refugee, Two Hearts Beat As One (sorry Martha ;)) and Surrender.

:shrug:

I do think it sounds a little dated at parts, and some of Bono's "singing" (screaming more like it) is a little much. But that doesn't mean the songs are bad. I love Sunday Bloody Sunday, but to me the album version is painful.

Anyway, I think the first four songs are classic, but the second half is pretty weak except for Two Hearts, and Surrender is alright too. I dunno, there's only 10 songs, and not enough of them are that good, in my opinion. Not one of my favs but still some great songs.

Irishteen said:

I think I am probaly the only person who thinks The Refugee is a 4.5 star song it is brillant.

It's great, I'd give it 4/5. I dont understand peoples problem with it. With Red Light okay, people dont like the horns or backup singers, but it is still a good song, 4/5 also. Some of you say you dont like the 'shouting' of Bono- but I see it is as raw passion and emotion for the song. Its good that there are a variety of singing styles on different records. Like a Song vs Velvet Dress for example.

SBS 5/5
Seconds 5/5
NYD 5/5
Like a Song 5/5
Drowning Man 5/5 :drool: My favourite
The Refugee 4/5
2 Hearts beat as 1 4.5/5
Red Light 4/5
Surrender 4/5
'40' 5/5

One of my fav. albums I listen to it all the time.

How can you dislike an album that has SBS, New Year's Day, Drowning Man, Like A Song, Two Hearts Beat As One, Surrender and 40 on it? How can raw emotion ever sound "dated"?

VertigoGal said:
I love Sunday Bloody Sunday, but to me the album version is painful.

I'm listening to War now, perhaps inspired by the thread. SBS sounds as fresh as ever, the album version is amazing.
"there's many lost but tell me WHO HAS WON?!!!"
This album is amazing!

Dunno if you mind, but I feel like this should be turned into a War appreciation thread. I'm on Like a Song now,

REVOLUTION ONCE A-GAAAIN!!

Popmartijn said:
Nah, let's stick with the opinion that it's U2's worst album. :mac:

:sad: I refuse to believe anyone seriously thinks this.
Of course you can if you want to, I just wont believe it.:wink:

GIVE YOU WHAT I HOLD DEEEAAAAAR, HOLD ON TIGHTLY

For What ?, oh well nevermind.

if you were really sorry you'd listen to war and start randomly posting parts of which song you're on :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom