War is 20 years old today !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boozyuzi

Acrobat
Well, I know what I was doing 20 years ago today.
Skipping school to go and buy the War picture disc and going to my first U2 concert at Edinburgh Playhouse.

The Alarm were the support act and the concert was awesome.

I am now going to play War all day to celebrate it's 20 birthday.

Happy Birthday WAR !

Last edited:
Coo! That was my first U2 album and this spring marks 20 years of being a fan! I didn't skip school, (age 13) I didn't get it until the spring when I heard SBS and NYD on the radio. You were really cool to know the release date and all way back then. I remember 1983 as being a year filled with War, Red Rocks and U2. The Police Synchronicity was big that year too.

Holy crap! that album doesn't seem that old. In 1983, I was six years old, just got my first album [Thriller] and had no idea that playing an hour away from my home with big flame torches, rain and all, was a band at Red Rocks called U2.

Drowning Man is a great song as is SBS. Of course, I didn't buy the album until 1993 but whatever.

although i was only about 1 back then, which makes me feel I should shut up whenever there's talk of U2 in the 80s, but I bought it in 1995 and loved it.......:p happy B-Day War....LOL

I wasn't even born then. How odd, because my birthdate reads 27-02-1988, which is like what, more or less five years after War. My favourite song off War? I'm going to be very original and say New Year's Day.

I was 5, and I dont think I even knew U2 existed for another 7 or 8 years.

None the less, War definitely moved me when I finally did hear it for the first time. I remember thinking to myself, "Wow, that's one of the most all around solid rock albums I've ever heard." I still think that today, of course U2 really doesnt release inconsistant albums.

Anyways, happy birthday War, thanks for the good music.

War was my first U2 album. I still remember very vividly opening it up and sitting there listening to it from start to finish. The other thing I remember is a friend of mine called and was very jealous that I had gotten it before she did. My favorite off the album is probably New Years Day.

tiny dancer said:
I was thinking there were no CD's back then or could I be wrong? :scratch:

Yeah, I dont think CD's were around in 1983. I dont want to do a research project on it though. I know I had tapes until about 1991.

wasn't there something special about how the joshua treee was released on tape, cd, and vinyl, and was like one of the first albums to sell a huge number of copies in all three types of media?

war is one and a half years older than me. happy birthday, war!

yeah i know i sound dumb saying that too. funny, i was just talking to my brother about that album. he's convinced it's their best album.

I was in high school in 1983 but I had no idea U2 or the War album existed. :reject: It would be four more years before I became a U2 fan, and I didn't even get around to buying the War album until 1992, even though I had heard and fallen in love with Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Year's Day long before then.

I consider War a 5-star, A+ album, along with The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. I was just listening to it the other night and thinking that with the current world situation the lyrics seem just as urgent today as they must have seemed 20 years ago.

(Edited for typo)

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
Yeah, I dont think CD's were around in 1983. I dont want to do a research project on it though. I know I had tapes until about 1991.
Actually, CDs first hit the American market in 1983. I think they began to outsell vinyl in 1988 or so.

Surprised none of you have mention the gem on the album called "Surrender"

I'm celebrating my 20th U2 anniversary as a fan too, I was 17 back then! Do anyone from the UK remember The Tube tv programme? Hosted by Jools Holland and Paula Yates, U2 did a set on it live in the studio under the War Tour banner, white flags as well! Apparently after the show credits finished (The Tube was live TV) the camera men kept the cameras rolling after going off air and this was the first time they had done such a thing out of all the bands that had appeared on The Tube! Not bad eh? even back then they could captivate people!

I wasn't even born yet. But that's very cool! I should pull out my War cd, it's been awhile. :up:

You know War was the most important record U2 ever released. Sure JT and AB were bigger sellers and widely acclaimed, but War kept U2 from going under. Boy was a success and October a mild disappointment. What would have happened had War's sales gone the way of October's?

War gave us SBS, NYD, Seconds, Two Hearts, Surrender and 40. How impressive is that when you look back on it? Sure some songs sound somewhat dated, but for the most part that's a pure rock album, and a great one at that.

I'm officially THE WARCHILD... (just turned that yesterday), born in '83.

War is not much older than me... I can't say I was a fan then; don't remember much about the four months before I was born (but, I was technically around when the album came out)...

Happy B-day War... in another 20 years you'll be 40... man how long must we sing the Birthday song? (now that was lame). You haven't heard that album unless you've heard it on vinyl...
Refugee!!!

Last edited:
i've heard it on vinyl!

yeah...i went to this record store and listened to the whole thing on vinyl and didn't buy it...i bought under a blood red sky on vinly instead cos i already had war on cd...but i stood there and listened to the whole album anyway....i do that quite often at that store though...i'm waiting for them to throw me out someday..but i do buy something when i spend a lot of time listening...usually a really cheap tape, but i do buy SOMETHING...

Great album. It was my first U2 album and I find it interesting that a 20 year-old song like Seconds could ring true in 2003. Also, one of the greatest U2 songs ever - NYD.

Cool! This was my first U2 album! It was actually the Red Rocks video that got me hooked, but of course they were promoting this album.

Back
Top Bottom