war appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanadaRhodes

Paper Gods
Staff member
you don't really hear people talk a lot about this album. this was the album that, along with the live album under a blood red sky, closed the first chapter of U2. some of the songs on here were insprired by bono's new bride, ali. it also showed U2 taking a more political stance, and looking outside of themselves, and not just writing songs about them.

this album is flawed in some ways, as many would note it has the refugee and red light on it. i don't hate these songs as much as some do, i don't see what's wrong with them, really. but it has seconds on it, one of my top five U2 songs. and it has classics like sunday bloody sunday and new year's day. what more could you want?

And for the third time today: That album is brilliant. :yes:

Boy, October and War are a big chapter in U2's history and I could hardly live without Like A Song... . It showed already pretty early that U2 CAN do real and better music than other artists in this age.

These appreciation threads rule. :up:

War was the first U2 album I bought (that was in 1994, when I was 15, by the way). The sound is kind of harsh, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Year's Day are powerful, spine-chilling classics. Seconds is simply eerie. Like a Song is incredibly powerful, loud and beautiful. Two Hearts is romantic, dancey, fun, heartbreaking. Surrender, another great eerie song. And 40--U2 will never have a better concert closer. As for Refugee and Red Light, for starters, I think Refugee is notably worse than Red Light. The classification of Red Light as the worst U2 song ever is another one of those stupid traditions among U2 fans. It's not bad at all, and the trumpet solo is sexy :drool: I don't seem to listen to this album as much as I once did, but it will always be important to me. After all, Sunday BLoody Sunday and New Year's Day, combined, were the songs that pushed me over the edge from being a U2 appreciator of several years to being a major U2 fan.

In my opinion War doesn't have a single weak track. I even like Refugee and Red Light! This album was an amazing accomplishment for four guys still in their early 20s. It was a huge step forward for them. Up until that time they were just a promising young band, but War showed what they were truly capable of.

I love War. I can listen to it from Sunday Bloody Sunday through "40" without feeling tempted to hit the skip button.

So many great songs, especially NYD, SBS, and "40."

A masterpiece!

I love War and it is my favourite U2 album, I bought it in 1993 after lending my friend's copy that she had on vinyl and this album really reminds me of the lead up to the Zoomerang concert that I saw in November of that year, I love every song on this album and I have never understood why Red Light and the refugee get so much of a bagging a lot of the time, I think they are great songs- Drowning Man in my opinion is a better ballad type of song than 'One' and Surrender is just awesome- the sweeping Edge guitar is beautiful....I love everything about this album from the cover artwork right through to the end and '40', what more can I say this is a masterpiece :up:

I:heart:war

After hearing some of U2's very early stuff from this album, along with "Boy", "October", and "The Unforgettable Fire"...I gotta say...their early stuff was really good. And there's lots of great songs on "War". "New Year's Day" is a classic, as is "Sunday Bloody Sunday"-man, the lyrics in "Sunday Bloody Sunday" are just...:shocked:...wow. There's so much anger and passion and worry and sadness in those lyrics...it's an incredible song (my dad says that's his favorite U2 song-it's definitely one of my absolute favorites). It's one of those songs that I listen to and go, "My sentiments exactly".

"Seconds" is very interesting, as is "Like A Song". And "Two Hearts Beat As One" and "Surrender" are just plain cool. And "The Refugee"...I like that song. Kinda neat.

Yeah..."War" is just awesome. That's all there is to it.

Now I'm gonna have to go listen to those songs.

Angela

My dad loves New Year's Day. And he likes SBS too.

This is important because anything else I ever listen to (including all other U2) is crap to him.

But he loves New Year's Day (especially the bass line).

This instantly classifies War as a classic.

war appreciation

My addiction to U2 all started with this album. Once I heard it, well, there was no going back!

Bunz.

I love War! It's such a hard driving album! Those who are starving for anger and angst from U2, this is your album! NYD and SBS are among the greats of history! Bono looked damn hot in those Red Rocks boots!

Bono's shades said:
In my opinion War doesn't have a single weak track. I even like Refugee and Red Light! This album was an amazing accomplishment for four guys still in their early 20s. It was a huge step forward for them. Up until that time they were just a promising young band, but War showed what they were truly capable of.

I agree. I remember the first time I really sat down to listen to War. I knew the obvious songs like New Year's Day and SBS, but beyond that it was all new for me. I was completely bowled over. Seconds, Drowning Man, Like a Song, Surrender, Drowning Man, Two Hearts, 40, Drowning Man, hell, all of them (did I mention I like Drowning Man?). This is what great rock & roll sounds like. One of my favorite U2 albums, as well as one of my favorite albums period. Love it. :heart:

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

I agree. I remember the first time I really sat down to listen to War. I knew the obvious songs like New Year's Day and SBS, but beyond that it was all new for me. I was completely bowled over. Seconds, Drowning Man, Like a Song, Surrender, Drowning Man, Two Hearts, 40, Drowning Man, hell, all of them (did I mention I like Drowning Man?). This is what great rock & roll sounds like. One of my favorite U2 albums, as well as one of my favorite albums period. Love it. :heart:

I love Drowning Man too! I think that song is just gorgeous in it's simplicity.

New Year's Day is also a favorite of mine. I would have to say it took me longer to get into "War" then say, "The Joshua Tree" but I really do admire it. There's some amazing music on there.

Elisabeth

War is awesome! It's my third favorite U2 album!

I especially enjoy New Year's Day, Two Hearts Beat as One, Drowning Man, and (of course) Sunday Bloody Sunday.

DaveC said:
My dad loves New Year's Day. And he likes SBS too.

This is important because anything else I ever listen to (including all other U2) is crap to him.

But he loves New Year's Day (especially the bass line).

This instantly classifies War as a classic.

Really?

Wow.

My dad's not like your dad-my dad likes U2's music in general.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom