War Appreciation Thread.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
I am still in shock after reading somebody say that they hate War in another thread, anyway War is my fave U2 album and I guess that I just want to know that I am not alone in my love of this album and I mean fanatical love- I just love this album sooooo much, every song on it is just gorgeous and it reminds me so much of 1993 as this is when I got into this album which was also the year that I first saw U2 live in concert, so in a way the whole ZooTV era actually reminds me of the War album, I remember playing Surrender and Seconds over and over again so many times- anyway where are all the other War lovers, please leave your opinions here:)

oh and do the poll too, please:)

I forgot to put the poll in, anyway just state what your fave song is from this masterpiece of an album, my vote goes to surrender

Last edited:
Ah man! ignore those who hate it or say its over-rated.
How can you hate the album that has the best, uncut version of new years day?!?!?
40 in itself is a wonder of a u2 song that gives me chills everytime.

Two Hearts Beat as One is a classic.

The only song on it that had to be an aquired taste was Refugee.
the intro just irked me a lot by once it gets going its cool.

[color=royal blue]"War" has a few good songs on it, but as a whole album, I personally don't like it. But this thread is not for that! I apologize...

CHEERS for "Two Hearts" and "40"!

Say I'm a fool
You say I'm nothing
But if I'm a fool for you
Oh, that's something

I think that's the sweetest thing :)
[/color]

Believe me or not OzAurora, when I read that post in SkeeK?s poll Most Overrated Album bashing War I thought of you. I tend to have a good memory and I do remember a very beautiful post you wrote once about War.

That said I wouln?t say it?s my fave, because in fact it?s not. But I do recognize some of the best U2 anthems came from War, the obvious ones being SBS and New Years Day. I absolutely love Two Heart Beat as One (although I prefer the remix from SBS single) and Drowning Man. I see nothing wrong with Refugee, I like the martial drums in that song. War is definitely Larry?s album. And of course it contains the best closer ever...40.
But...it also contains the only U2 song I could say I dislike...you got it, it?s Red Light. I gave up on that one already, LOL

:p

War is my third favorite U2 album, after The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. How can anyone hate an album that contains Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day and 40, not to mention Two Hearts Beat as One, Seconds and Drowning Man? I love the way the songs fit together to create a unified whole. The placement of the songs is perfect, with SBS as the opener and 40 as the closer. This album is as powerful an anti-war statement as anything ever released in the 1960s. It's an incredible achievement for a bunch of guys in their early 20s.

The other night I heard New Year's Day on the radio when I was driving, I was so excited! So I went home and listened to War. It had been awhile.

I love that album. It's U2 at their sterotypical best. Young, loud, political, ready for the world... It's a fabulous album. It's also my thrid favorite behind Achtung Baby and The Unforgettable Fire.

Wow...I remember when I first became a U2 fan, back when I was 13...first album I heard was R&H...then I got JT...then I went to buy my 3rd U2 album. I went to the store, and I found Zooropa and War. I couldn't decide, so I bought both of them. I listened to Zooropa first, and then I listened to War...and I discovered what contrasting albums they were! *lol* After having mellowed out to "The Wanderer", SBS hit me hard! Such raw passion! That's how the entire album struck me. I still love it so much. I listened to it once...and started to listen to it again when my dad came into my room. He asked me if I'd bought a U2 CD. I told him I actually bought two, and he got mad and said I should be saving money, blah, blah, blah...but then he stopped and said, "Hey! Isn't this 'New Years Day'? I love this song!" *lol* So Dad sat and listened to the rest of the song with me and forgot to finish his lecture on money. :D

"Surrender" is in the top 10 maybe even the top 5 for most under-rated U2 songs

"Seconds" has one of the best basslines of any U2 song

"40" is the tied with "Love is Blindness" as the best album closer

but I hate "The Refugee" and "Red Light," the presence of those two songs on the album keep War from ranking among my top 5 U2 albums, because they are really the only two U2 songs that I absolutely abhor, oh well...

I liked what you had to say about Surrender Wanderer and I thoroughly agree with you- the guitar in that song is amazing and I love the chorus at the end with the female voices......

and I can never understand why so many people dont like both red light and the refugee, now I know that they are not the stand out tracks on the album but they are not bad, not by a long shot, I guess I never follow trends or go with norm as I used to always wonder why so many people used to dislike Trip through your wires from J-tree, I thought it was a great song and then was so amazed as to how many people did not like it- anyway......:)

i love war!

I love War, how on earth could anyone hate it! It's not my fav album, but it's definately in my top three. New Years Day is one of U2's best songs, not to mention SBS, seconds, two hearts beat as one, and 40. My least favorite song on there is surrender, but i still like it. I've liked the song refugee from the first time i heard it, i guess it's the energy in it.

War's release vaulted U2 from a band I liked to my favorite band, surpassing The Who. I was 18 when it was released, and it has been my favorite album since.
As for underrrated U2 songs..."Like a Song" is tops on my list.

War is a great album. I love it! Personally, I don't think I could use the words "hate" and "U2" in the same sentence ever, except if it was something to the effect of, "I hate when people say they hate things about U2!"

War was the first U2 album I bought, in 1994, at the age of 15, though it wasn't the first U2 album I was exposed to--that was JT, my brother had it. It was a top three U2 album for me for a long time, though perhaps not any more. I'm not sure. I would have to say that New Year's Day is my favourite but I dearly love SBS, Seconds, LIke a Song, Two Hearts, and 40. I like all the songs, though Refugee is my least favourite. I really like Red Light and I have always been at a lost to understand why it is so utterly despised. I do have to say, though, that I've never liked Drowning Man nearly as much as I feel I "should." It's never moved me all that deeply, though the lyrics are wonderful.

Hewson said:
War's release vaulted U2 from a band I liked to my favorite band, surpassing The Who. I was 18 when it was released, and it has been my favorite album since.
As for underrrated U2 songs..."Like a Song" is tops on my list.

The Who was my favorite band before U2 too! :D Oh, and it was during the War tour that I noticed and fell in love with U2!

right on wertsie! Or another example of an acceptable sentence containing both "U2" and "hate" is....."I hate Henry Rollins because he talks shit about U2" hehehhehe :yes:

War I think is a good album, but Bono's singing wasn't the greatest. I think the Joshua Tree album was the first album where he really sounded good, and he sounds the best on Achtung Baby I think. I like the early 80's stuff, but to listen to War all the way through, I don't know, by the end of the album Bono's voice gets on my nerves. I love most of the songs, just not Refugee and sometimes Drowning Man. It depends on my mood. I would love to see Two Hearts Beat As One played live again. I mean, THEY HAD A HEART SHAPED STAGE ON THE LAST TOUR!!!!!! Why wasn't it played? It's not like it is an obscure song.

It's ironic that this thread should come up just as I got my War CD back from a friend whom I'd loaned it to. I haven't had it for MONTHS!! :scream:

War for me is a special album. Initially as I began to explore U2's music, I was lent JT and AB from a friend. I listened to them and I enjoyed them, but the problem was that they were on CD and at the time I was not near a player much. I was extremely busy...working full time, college full time, working out at the gym, so I never had time to sit down and absorb music.

However, I checked my local library to find out more about "this U2 band" and not only borrowed the U2 bible (Flanagan), but also an old tape of War. It stayed with me in my car and I listened to it over and over and over and over while I drove to all the things I had to do. And it was really there that I started to get addicted to U2. The passion and the energy of the songs moved me and the lyrics caused me to think and ask questions. And there's nothing quite like driving down the road playing Like a Song and hitting your steering wheel as if you were Larry Mullen Jr himself. ;)

So, simply put...I owe a great debt to War for getting me hooked on U2. And I will always love it for that reason. :)

i loooooooooooooooooooooove this album. i looooooooooooooooooooooooooooove seconds even more.

i love new year's day also. and like a song. and drowning man. and the refugee. and two hearts beat as one. and red light. and surrender. and 40. the only song i could do without is sbs, only because it rocks the house live, esp. back in the day before they decided on doing it acoustic. :no:

oh, and i got "two hearts beat as one" written in my husband's wedding band. :D cheesy, eh? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom