War and October remastered details bonus disc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sandc

The Fly
From u2.com:

Tracklisting for War:

1. Endless Deep 2. Angels Too Tied To The Ground (Previously Unreleased Track) 3. New Year’s Day (7” single edit) 4. New Year’s Day (USA Remix) 5. New Year’s Day (Ferry Corsten Extended Vocal Mix) 6. New Year’s Day (Ferry Corsten Vocal Radio Mix) 7. Two Hearts Beat As One (Long Mix) 8. Two Hearts Beat As One (USA Remix) 9. Two Hearts Beat As One (Club Version) 10. Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete The Chop)

Tracklisting for October:

1. Gloria (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) 2. I Fall Down (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) 3. I Threw A Brick Through A Window (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) 4. Fire (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) 5. October (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) 6. With A Shout (Richard Skinner BBC Session) 7. Scarlet (Richard Skinner BBC Session) 8. I Threw A Brick Through A Window (Richard Skinner BBC Session) 9. A Celebration 10. J. Swallow 11. Trash, Trampoline And The Party Girl 12. I Will Follow (Live at Paradise Theatre, Boston) 13. The Ocean (Live at Paradise Theatre, Boston) 14. The Cry/Electric Co. (Live at Paradise Theatre, Boston) 15. 11 O’Clock Tick Tock (Live at Paradise Theatre, Boston) 16. I Will Follow (Live From Hattem, Netherlands) 17. Tomorrow (Bono & Adam Clayton, Common Ground Remix)

kind of figured that October would have no new material...I don't have the common ground remix so I like that. I am looking forward to the "angels" song. I was hoping "be there" would make the list. A lot remixes and couple rare ones...hopefully the remastering of the tracks will be worth the purchases. It will be interesting to hear the BBC sessions as well.

Both interesting discs. Not all that fantastic really but not bad. Angels Too Tired To The Ground actually sounds like a song title Bono would come up with now not back in 1983. Interesting. War could have more stuff though, live versions or outtakes would have been awesome. Why the never release outtakes of those songs on their initial stages? That would be really cool. Adding another I Will Follow to the October release was not necessary. A live version of Celebration would have been much cooler.

War is very disappointing, I have to say. Surely there was something better in the vaults than some (no doubt) shoddy and pointless remixes? THREE versions of NYD, really? I suppose the problem with live tracks and demos is that a great many have been circulating for years as bootlegs, but it's still nice to have things officially released and properly mastered etc. Having said that though, October doesn't look too bad.

Why is it that JT got the super deluxe treatment though, whereas these ones (and Boy) aren't? I'd happily trade any bonus discs of easily obtainable audio tracks for some concerts in full DVD quality. I take it only the 'landmark' releases will be getting the more extravagant sets perhaps - like Achtung Baby? I'd love a Rattle+Hum set with some of the film outtakes. (I have them already but with compromised quality.)

Remixes on War :confused:

The good part is Red rocks will have a separate DVD release.

These bonus discs look like such a hopeless mishmash cobbled together by a babboon that I actually thought this was a prank at first. And given U2.com's track record, it's still hard to believe.

Now, I knew there was never going to be much in the way of unreleased material for either of these albums, and in fact, I'm pleasantly surprised to find out about Angels Too Tied To The Ground. But it looks like next-to-no thought went into the track order for October's disc and that songs were actually ripped out of their setlist positions (IWF --> Ocean --> TEC?!), and the overdose of remixes on War's disc is just unnecessary. Early versions, showing how the songs developed and providing a different take on them, would be a lot more interesting than a bunch of remixes.

I'm still excited about these remasters, since they're from the era of U2 I like, but they could have been substantially better.

Really disappointing. These reek of tying up loose ends. I can only imagine that the band haven't been as hands on with these as they were with the Joshua Tree.

Like Axver I would have much preferred early takes, rehearsals, demos etc. We already have 90% of these tracks. Still, i've got high hopes for the quality of the remaster, seeing as the JT remaster was excellent IMO.

Why all the NYD remixes??? All one after the other, that's piss poor guys and makes the disc pretty unlistenable as a whole...

I'm surprised at the number of remixes on the War disc as well. I was actually expecting the October bonus disc to be the lame one, but it's actually more exciting.

At any rate, the JT bonus disc proved that the band is willing to offer demos/rehearsal tracks that they consider release-worthy. Clearly they didn't feel that there was enough quality demo material from the War sessions to warrant inclusion on the bonus disc. More power to them. We know that Edge has written liner notes explaining all the bonus tracks, so it will be interesting to read what he has to say about the numerous New Years Day and Two Hearts remixes.

I'm surprised at the number of remixes on the War disc as well. I was actually expecting the October bonus disc to be the lame one, but it's actually more exciting.

At any rate, the JT bonus disc proved that the band is willing to offer demos/rehearsal tracks that they consider release-worthy. Clearly they didn't feel that there was enough quality demo material from the War sessions to warrant inclusion on the bonus disc. More power to them. We know that Edge has written liner notes explaining all the bonus tracks, so it will be interesting to read what he has to say about the numerous New Years Day and Two Hearts remixes.

If they didn't like enough stuff, then the second disc should have just been a previously unreleased show from the War tour.

Ah, well. I'm sure I'll still buy them, and with sales, I doubt the prices will be that much different.

OK, this is just to prove that October is a mishmash compiled by a babboon.

Tracklisting for October:

1. Gloria (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) 2. I Fall Down (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) 3. I Threw A Brick Through A Window (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) 4. Fire (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) 5. October (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) 6. With A Shout (Richard Skinner BBC Session) 7. Scarlet (Richard Skinner BBC Session) 8. I Threw A Brick Through A Window (Richard Skinner BBC Session) 9. A Celebration 10. J. Swallow 11. Trash, Trampoline And The Party Girl 12. I Will Follow (Live at Paradise Theatre, Boston) 13. The Ocean (Live at Paradise Theatre, Boston) 14. The Cry/Electric Co. (Live at Paradise Theatre, Boston) 15. 11 O’Clock Tick Tock (Live at Paradise Theatre, Boston) 16. I Will Follow (Live From Hattem, Netherlands) 17. Tomorrow (Bono & Adam Clayton, Common Ground Remix)

TRACKS 1-5
Hammersmith Palais setlist: http://www.u2gigs.com/show997.html

Note that the order of the songs in the set is actually 14th, 11th, 4th, 16th, 12th. What's more, ITABTAW is stripped of its segue into ADWM (I hate to think how forced this will sound) and October is stripped of its segue into NYD. The songs are devoid of context and just thrown together nonsensically. The tracklist quite literally jumps all over the show!

TRACKS 6-8
Skinner sessions set: http://www.u2gigs.com/show790.html

Note that on this release, Scarlet and ITABTAW swap spots to the set given on U2gigs. There may not be an issue with this, however, as the setlist on U2gigs is just the order it was broadcast and not necessarily a reflection on the order played. Still, I think WAS --> ITABTAW --> Scarlet makes more sense sonically than inserting Scarlet between those two drum-heavy tracks.

TRACKS 9-11
Wait, we suddenly have a chunk of three studio tracks breaking up live material? Did anybody actually think about this? Did nobody remember how badly this FAILED on Rattle And Hum?

TRACKS 12-15
U2 have played three gigs at the Paradise, all on the Boy Tour (yeah, what?), and these songs will undoubtedly be taken from this gig: http://www.u2gigs.com/show133.html

This gig is butchered even worse than the Hammersmith Palais one. The order on the night was 12th, 1st or 15th, 7th/8th, and 2nd or 14th. The Ocean always preceded or succeeded 11OTT when it was played live in the early days. Yet here, it is ripped out of context as either opener or closer and forced between IWF and TEC! Seriously, please put down the braindead babboon that made this tracklist. I just hope that they are using the first performances of The Ocean and 11OTT from the night, because if they're using the second ones - they segued seamlessly together, so ripping them apart is astonishingly illogical!

TRACK 16
Why do we need TWO live performances of a BOY song on a bonus disc for OCTOBER? I can understand ITABTAW twice. I could understand another October song twice. But I WILL FOLLOW? When Rejoice and Tomorrow are both missing in action despite soundboard performances of them being in common circulation? Baffling.

TRACK 17
Aaand a studio track tacked onto the end. See comments for tracks 9-11.

I don't think its that bad. As others have said I wasn't really expecting much if any songs we hadn't heard before from either of these albums. They used most of what they recorded on the albums or as B sides. So I'm pleasantly surprised there is a new song. Other than that, I got my wish, A Celebration is on the October bonus disc. So I will have remastered clean copies of all of the early songs I like. :up:

Oh, and someone asked why Joshua Tree got the super deluxe treatment? Because its their biggest selling album and it was the 20th anniversary of its release.

I'm REALLY looking forward to the Achtung Baby bonus disc. That has a lot of potential as they recorded a lot of material for that album. I just hope we don't end up with a bunch of Hansa session demos that most of us already have on bootleg.

Why all the NYD remixes??? All one after the other, that's piss poor guys and makes the disc pretty unlistenable as a whole...

This is a good point. Three mixes of NYD and three mixes of THBAO in a row is good for a single listen, then you just file the CD away and never play it. Poor value for money.

At any rate, the JT bonus disc proved that the band is willing to offer demos/rehearsal tracks that they consider release-worthy. Clearly they didn't feel that there was enough quality demo material from the War sessions to warrant inclusion on the bonus disc.

I'm actually surprised there is actually an unreleased song from War at all, as it's no secret 40 was recorded at the last minute since they were both 1. short on material and 2. needed a closer urgently.

However, JT did not prove that they are willing to offer demos or early versions of already released songs. All I see are complete tracks left off the tracklist back in the day. There are no insights into the creative processes of how the tracks developed and evolved. We know early versions of War songs exist and demos of songs like SBS and Surrender could have been quite interesting, and certainly much better than endless remixes.

But even if they don't feel any of the demos are of a quality that they wish to release, like phanan says, there are unreleased War gigs lying around. 30 May 1983 and 20 August 1983 are two prime cases in point. They would both fit comfortably on one CD as complete shows and would have been much more preferable to NYD/THBAO over and over again.

But even if they don't feel any of the demos are of a quality that they wish to release, like phanan says, there are unreleased War gigs lying around. 30 May 1983 and 20 August 1983 are two prime cases in point. They would both fit comfortably on one CD as complete shows and would have been much more preferable to NYD/THBAO over and over again.

I don't get why hardcore fans that have easy access to shows as mentioned above want to be able to purchase them again or buy them over the burned copies they have already??? The shows mentioned are widely available in top notch quality. Honestly, I would rather rather purchase something I don't already have even if its a remix. :shrug:

Not to mention, they appear to be releasing the Under A Blood Red Sky album also. My guess is there is going to be all kinds of live stuff on that bonus disc. So another live War show on the War disc when they are releasing another War show later doesn't make a ton of sense either.

OK, this is just to prove that October is a mishmash compiled by a babboon.

TRACKS 1-5
Hammersmith Palais setlist: U2 London, 1982-12-06, Hammersmith Palais, War Tour - U2 on tour

Note that the order of the songs in the set is actually 14th, 11th, 4th, 16th, 12th. What's more, ITABTAW is stripped of its segue into ADWM (I hate to think how forced this will sound) and October is stripped of its segue into NYD. The songs are devoid of context and just thrown together nonsensically. The tracklist quite literally jumps all over the show!

Unless you're a brainless donkey, you can see that the order follows the order of the October album (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th). What more, if you add the first 2 tracks of the next batch, you also have the 8th and 10th song on that album. So the tracklist gives a (partial) live view of the album!

TRACKS 9-11
Wait, we suddenly have a chunk of three studio tracks breaking up live material? Did anybody actually think about this? Did nobody remember how badly this FAILED on Rattle And Hum?

Chill out! This isn't an album, it's a bonus disc. Besides, it might even flow well. Not every mix of studio and live tracks will be a failure. And oh, I don't think it failed that badly of the R&H double album (with most of the time a full side either dedicated to live or to studio material)

TRACKS 12-15
U2 have played three gigs at the Paradise, all on the Boy Tour (yeah, what?), and these songs will undoubtedly be taken from this gig: U2 Boston, 1981-03-06, The Paradise, Boy Tour - U2 on tour

This gig is butchered even worse than the Hammersmith Palais one. The order on the night was 12th, 1st or 15th, 7th/8th, and 2nd or 14th. The Ocean always preceded or succeeded 11OTT when it was played live in the early days. Yet here, it is ripped out of context as either opener or closer and forced between IWF and TEC! Seriously, please put down the braindead babboon that made this tracklist. I just hope that they are using the first performances of The Ocean and 11OTT from the night, because if they're using the second ones - they segued seamlessly together, so ripping them apart is astonishingly illogical!

I agree that the tracklisting of these live tracks (and unless you're a brainless donkey you know that those tracks were released as extra tracks on singles pulled from October) doesn't make sense. I really hope this is a mix-up in the reporting of the tracklist.

TRACK 16
Why do we need TWO live performances of a BOY song on a bonus disc for OCTOBER? I can understand ITABTAW twice. I could understand another October song twice. But I WILL FOLLOW? When Rejoice and Tomorrow are both missing in action despite soundboard performances of them being in common circulation? Baffling.

Hey! Nice! A previously vinyl-only track of that rare Dutch single! Recorded on 14 May 1982 (so from the October tour) (U2tours.com - concert details) So I think all vinyl-only tracks released around October have been included on this disc. :up:

Last edited:
I don't get why hardcore fans that have easy access to shows as mentioned above want to be able to purchase them again or buy them over the burned copies they have already??? The shows mentioned are widely available in top notch quality. Honestly, I would rather rather purchase something I don't already have even if its a remix. :shrug:

Because I'm thinking of the broader market here, not bootleg collectors. The majority of people buying this remaster would not own 30/05/83 or 20/08/83. It makes the shows much more readily - and officially - accessible to all fans who want to hear them.

Not to mention, they appear to be releasing the Under A Blood Red Sky album also. My guess is there is going to be all kinds of live stuff on that bonus disc. So another live War show on the War disc when they are releasing another War show later doesn't make a ton of sense either.

Valid point; we'll have to wait and see what's on UABRS.

Unless you're a brainless donkey, you can see that the order follows the order of the October album (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th). What more, if you add the first 2 tracks of the next batch, you also have the 8th and 10th song on that album. So the tracklist gives a (partial) live view of the album!

Yes, let's rip songs out of their performance context to force them back into an album context. Edit out segues and all that. Top idea! :happy:

And it's still patchy anyway. No Rejoice? No Tomorrow? Despite the fact they're readily available? Woops ...

Chill out! This isn't an album, it's a bonus disc. Besides, it might even flow well. Not every mix of studio and live tracks will be a failure. And oh, I don't think it failed that badly of the R&H double album (with most of the time a full side either dedicated to live or to studio material)

I think RAH is rather demonstrably patchy and does not provide a cohesive listening experience with the way it skips around from live to studio and back again. Obviously this isn't so extreme, and it is indeed a bonus disc, but just because it's a bonus disc doesn't mean they shouldn't try to give it some cohesion. It wouldn't exactly be hard.

Back
Top Bottom