War

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DreamOutLoud13 said:
I never listen to War anymore. There are some great songs on it, I just never feel like listening to them anymore. Maybe I'm going through a phase :shrug:

Can I have it? My CD could use a break. Yeah I could burn another copy but I'd rather have an original. ;)

CTU2fan said:
War kicks ass. I honestly think a lot of the "don't like War" folks weren't alive when it came out.

I wasn't alive when Boy came out, but i like it more than War. Pretty average argument.

For me, War is probably the only U2 album i haven't managed to get into. It suffers for having such a strong start, as the b-side isn't as engaging.

Boy is better.

I love this album. Only things that let it down are Red Light and 40 is a bit uninspiring and lifeless for me (unlike the live version which is an anthem!)

TheQuiet1 said:
What's everyone's opinion on this album? I know if this was a thread about Pop then 99% of people would love it with perhaps just one person popping up to slag it off. But when it comes to War, things don't seem as clear cut. Lots of people love it but then there seems to be hordes of people who can't stand it.

Would you say War tends to be highly regarded among U2 fans or not?

War was an outstanding album for it's time and place. Put in today's musical context it sounds a bit dated. It has three of U2's greatest songs ever: SBS, NYD and 40. However some other songs, Red Light, The Refugee have not stood up as well.

What was so exciting about War when it came out 24 years ago, is that bands like Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, Men at Work and Depeche Mode were playing a distinctly different sort of music that was nothing like the abrasive sound of War.

War should be viewed like an early Beatles/Stones or Who album. An album that might seem dated to some, has a few songs that have stood the test of time for all and was of it's time.

I love this album! I even like Refugee and Red Light! :rockon: Two Hearts and 40 are probably my least fav songs here. 40 is better live.

Zootlesque said:
I love this album! I even like Refugee and Red Light! :rockon: Two Hearts and 40 are probably my least fav songs here. 40 is better live.

Zoot you don't count...:madspit:

Actually you're right 40 was much better live...:yes: I find it funny now that Two Hearts was released as a single. Back in the day it seemed to make sense, but now the song is kinda...:sigh:

Screwtape2 said:

Or Red Light following THBAO and leading into Surrender.

Actually, Red Light --> Surrender seems to flow to me, as they have a strong thematic link. Though I do think they'd work better if it were Surrender --> Red Light.

LemonMelon said:
Many, many U2 albums suffer from lack of cohesion. Actually, very few have any texture at all. The only ones that really succeed in this regard are, to my ears:

Boy
UF
JT
Achtung
Zooropa

:shrug: The other albums just sound like collections of songs to me.

I agree with most of what you say. I've already made my opinion very, very clear in the past with regards to the fact I think Achtung Baby is U2's least cohesive album, and I agree with Screwtape on Zooropa, but otherwise, you're pretty right. U2 seem to be very poor at creating albums as opposed to collections of songs, which surprises me as they are often very good at linking material live.

I'll concur with what LemonMelon said on cohesion, the last two do sound a bit like a collection of songs. A very good collection of songs mind you. And AB is kind of the same, apart from the trinity.

War is very good, but also top heavy.

As far as War is concerned, it's my third favorite album, but is their only album that I like EVERY song on.

As far as cohesion goes, except MAYBE for TUF, I don't think there is one U2 album that has any sort of cohesion, I think that's one of the things that's always bugged me about U2's albums, and is probably why there are so many threads on Interference reordering the tracklistings of the albums.

definitely sounds dated

cant bring myself to listen to it all the way through, gives me a headache.

I've been listening to War a lot lately. I loved it back in the day, and it's like revisiting an old friend.

Seconds... Drowning Man... Like a Song... Refugee

COBL_04 said:
Passengers (excluding EAA) if were including that.

Yeah, if you take out EAA, Passengers is actually an achievement of the whole "cohesive album that flows from start to finish" idea. UF and JT get close but don't quite make it (a pox on TTYW, a pox!).

Axver said:
Personally, I rate War in about the middle of U2's albums. It has some really amazing stuff and the opening five tracks are as good as any other opening five combination that U2 has made, but it stutters a bit from there. As much as I find The Refugee to be fun and one of the best examples of Larry's drumming, it is not exactly a great song. Two Hearts Beat As One is out-of-place throwaway fluff. Red Light is arguably the worst U2 song ever. And while the studio version of 40 has a special charm, I can see why some people don't like it.

I think War is a bit over-rated in the general public by virtue of SBS and NYD, while amongst U2 fans, I think it gets about the right amount of attention.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Chizip said:
definitely sounds dated

cant bring myself to listen to it all the way through, gives me a headache.

The sound is bad. War is one album that reeeeally needs remastering I think. But it still doesn't give me a headache like the opening note of ABOY or the opening to Depeche Mode's Playing The Angel album does. :yikes:

CTU2fan said:
Mine too, love Larry's work on that one. Pity they only played it live the one time.

yea that sucks, and pity the quality of the recording of that event is pretty bad too... oh well, it's better than nothing I guess...

War is absolutely GREAT !! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

The opening intro on NYD ... Bono's high-pitched scream ... that said it all for me. :applaud:

Man, I heard that ... and HAD to know who was behind that voice.
It was the first tune I ever heard from U2 ... which in turn, made me become a fan. :up:

And of course, in second is Drowning Man ... such an emotionally heart-felt song ... I gotta love it !! :heart:

Its stood the test of time well. Ok parts sound a little dated but what album from the 80s doesn't? Seconds still sounds really fresh - I heard it the other day and remembered just what a great song it is.

Drowning Man has always been a favourite of mine - I love the violin in it.

And whatever your opinion of Sunday Bloody Sunday, you can't argue the raw passion of it.

Overall its a terrific album.

Not one of my favourite U2 albums, but I like WAR much more than I used to. I couldn't get into it for a very long time because Bono's raw banshee wail got on my nerves after a few songs. There's a couple of tracks I'm still not keen on and I never really liked the album version if SBS, but songs like Seconds really grew on me with time.

I totally agree about the lack of cohesion on U2 albums BTW. UF and -maybe- Boy are probably the only ones that truly feel like an album experience to me while the rest are mostly collections of songs. Which is not bad in itself, but it also means that the weaker tracks that otherwise would have worked in the context of an album stick out like sore thumb next to its superior siblings.

I guess, it is the U2 album I nearly never listen to in its entirety. Why? Good question, because what I do love about the album is the way, it was recorded, is the way it does sound. A great job done by the producers ...
There are the old (and still beautiful) war horses "New Year's Day", "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "40" plus the more than excellent "Drowning Man" (still waiting for its live debut) – on the other hand there are tunes, that have nice riffs ("Two Hearts Beat as One"), nice drums ("Like A Song"); the rest is surely to neglect. WAR a masterpiece - in my opinion far from that!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom