War

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RavenBlue

Blue Crack Addict
I have to admit, even though I've been listening to U2 since about 1997.. I only recently picked up War. Since then, it has become one of my favourites. I can honestly say that there isn't one song on this album that I truely dislike. It's a masterpiece. Yes, I even enjoy Red Light.

Something that bugs me sometimes is how folks say they only like "old U2". What they consider 'old' is usually The Joshua Tree. It would be great if folks could discover the true 'old' U2, because it's well worth uncovering.

I agree. War is an amazing album. I also agree when you say that every track is good. And I also like Red Light..lol. Songs like The Refugee isn't their usual style and it is really good, and it has become one of my favourite U2 songs. If it wasn't for War, Red Rocks wouldn't be the same.

:yes: One of their best albums. The first time where IMO all the key ingredients to U2 really come alive: the political, the spiritual and the atmospheric.

imo the second half of the album is weak, but the first half is absolutely fantastic. SBS, Seconds, NYD, Like a Song, Drowning Man...what an A-side. I think it's the first album that really got U2 noticed by more than just the underground college radio crowd.

War is fantastic. There's not a single weak moment on the first half, the second half isn't that bad either. The Refugee is amazingly fun to dance to/sing along to. THBAO is a rarity, because unlike the majority of U2 love songs, it's fairly unbitter. Red Light and Surrender are a little... different to listen to. I think maybe it's the fault of the background singers which make the songs feel so strange. But they're not bad songs. And of course "40" is "40" and is amazing.

Love the album! I never understood what people disliked about The Refugee and Red Light sadly. Great songs! I also enjoy listening to a so-called 'expanded' version, with 'Treasure' following New Year's Day and 'Endless Deep' following Red Light before Surrender and '40' close the album as usual. Give it a try, you may enjoy it!

In conclusion, War is excellent. :D :up:

I LOVE War and have to agree about Refugee & Red Light being much better than people say. If you listen to the album straight through, it all works so well. Starting off with all the rage songs, ending with Surrender & 40. :combust:

Thematically, War is one of the best U2 albums to listen to straight from start to finish. :yes:

I love War all the way through, ESPECIALLY Red Light, I love the trumpet :D

And Now I'm listening to it

40 is the best ending of album ever !

About War , Still didnt buy it :reject: waiting for a better price.

BTW People tell me if you didnt have buy yet , between War and UF , what would be ur 1st choice ?

Hey Tuwie:wave: Txs for the songs sent :)

Yeah I also dont have yet JT , but the thing is here JT normally u only find for a high price , like the 90s albums .

Trying to these days to get War or UF , coz they are in cheaper prices , they are almost in a ideal price to buy.

JT would be around 14 dollars , while UF or War 7.

Last edited:
I must have played this album 1000 tmes when i was a kid(the Refugee was my favourite) as it was the only U2 tape I had but I haven't listened to it fully in years.
Any album with Sunday Bloody sunday, new years Day and 40 on it can't be bad!
Two Hearts Beat As One is quite underreated I feel, and should have beeen on the first Best Of.
Like A song isn't exactlt subtle, but who cares, it still rocks!
Drowning Man is one of U2's most beautiful songs, but it barely gets a mention anywhere and I think it has never been played live....??
Red Light and Surrender suffer a little from bad production, but no one who has seen Live at Red Rocks can dismiss Surrender, it is beautiful!! I like the female backing vocals in both, I always felt that an occasional female voice on U2 records was needed.
40 is perfect, what a way to end such a loud," shouty" album:), so subtle, quiet and beautiful, I think it ushers in the Unforgettable Fire quite nicely.

The only thing I don't like about War is that '40' finishes too early! Sure they played much longer live but the studio version has a much better sound and you CANNOT BEAT THE BACKING VOCALS, so if an extended version of the studio recording ever came about I wouldn't be complaining. :wink:

gareth brown said:
so if an extended version of the studio recording ever came about I wouldn't be complaining. :wink:

:drool:

Hmmm....I kind of hope that the very last U2 album ever ends with a new performance of '40'.......:sad: but :drool:

J_NP said:

BTW People tell me if you didnt have buy yet , between War and UF , what would be ur 1st choice ?

Buy War first then the UF. It's good to see the transition U2 made in their sound by enlisting Brian Eno.

J_NP said:

Buy The Unforgettable Fire. It's their best album of the Eighties. In contrast, War is their worst album ever. The songwriting isn't that good on the whole album (side 1 is very good, side 2 is week) and Bono's vocals are horrible.
The Unforgettable Fire has excellent songwriting, nice Bono vocals and it's more than just a straightahead arena rock album.

:)

I remember Adam who once said in the interview "U2, a Year in Pop" that he considers only the records from The Unforgettable Fire (or Joshua Tree, don't remember well), and that the others (Boy, October, War) were just demos......................
Was he joking or serious?

J_NP said:

War.
Bono really starts to shine as a singer and songwriter on that one.

Back
Top Bottom