Want to hear Stuck in a Moment... in a commercial?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wertsie

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I was browsing through one of those little magazines that comes inside the paper (USA Today or Parade...can't remember which!) and one article caught my eye because there was a caricature of Bono included...Anyway, it was an article about artists who will not allow their songs to be used in commercials (Beck and REM were also mentioned). I read most of the article and skimmed the rest, and I got the impression that the author thought it was a BAD thing that they didn't want their songs used!

There was some little comment about how if you super-glued something you weren't supposed to, you might hear Stuck in a Moment... playing, but it would have to be in your own imagination because it would never be used in a commercial...Sorry if that wasn't entirely coherent...lazyboy once said something I will never forgot, something about how he has the memory of a goldish. :lol: well, so do I, I think! :lol:

Anyway...Other thoughts?

Yeah I saw that article too! :lol: It's a good thing U2 don't let anyone use there songs for stupid commercials. Stuck in a Moment for a superglue commmercial? :eyebrow: The only good thing about the article was when they said U2 was arguably the best band in the world.

macphistosmagic said:
The only good thing about the article was when they said U2 was arguably the best band in the world.

:banghead: D'oh! I think that must have been in the part that I skimmed! Well, at least I have the article still...I'll have to look again!

Personally it makes me very, very happy that I'll never have to hear a U2 song being used to hawk a product. To do so would cheapen the meaning of the song. Stuck in a Moment was Bono's reaction to the death of a close friend, Michael Hutchence. It has absolutely nothing to do with superglue.

Bono's shades said:
Personally it makes me very, very happy that I'll never have to hear a U2 song being used to hawk a product. To do so would cheapen the meaning of the song. Stuck in a Moment was Bono's reaction to the death of a close friend, Michael Hutchence. It has absolutely nothing to do with superglue.

:yes: Exactly right! I couldn't have said it better myself!

I wouldn't terribly mind hearing a U2 song in a commercial if it's a fun, throwaway song like "Elevation" that doesn't really have a lot of deep meaning or deep emotions associated with it. But I certainly wouldn't want advertisers get their hands on songs like "Stuck...", "Streets", "One", etc.

wow i missed that--elevation a throwaway?? :mad: that song rocks more than...well, a lot of things! is this s snobby lyric thing? does "stuck" just have deeper meaning or something?

:( i like elevation.

i dont like elevation, but i dont want to hear it in a commercial. you dont take your art and give it to some corporation so that they can make money off of it. im glad u2 (for the most part, with the target and best buy things being the exception) agrees.

Ouch...Granted, Elevation isn't one of my favorite songs or anything (far from it) but I wouldn't call it throwaway! I don't think U2 HAVE any throwaway songs!

i don't like "lemon" and i wouldn't call that a throwawy song!

i don't think they've got any either...

elevation was my favourite u2 song for a while...

wertsie said:
Ouch...Granted, Elevation isn't one of my favorite songs or anything (far from it) but I wouldn't call it throwaway! I don't think U2 HAVE any throwaway songs!

the lyrics are throway.

"i and i,
in the sky,
you make me feel like i can fly
so high"

i respect it for being relatively spunky, but bono didnt do his end here.

Cow of the Seas said:
the lyrics are throway.

No, No, No! Look...

"i and i,
A brilliant existential, metaphysical look at the "other;" the "other" being "i". *sigh* Bono is fucking amazing.

in the sky,
See, SEE! He is in the sky...Bono is the *third* of the Holy Trinity. See what the B-man is doing there???!!!! Fucking amazing. *sigh*

you make me feel like i can fly
Again, SHEER GENIUS!!! We, being the "other," the second of the Holy Trinity, if you will, make Bono feel like he can fly!!!!1!1!1!1! WE are the ego, controlling the "super ego," if you will. *sigh*

And the capper!! We, the "other of the other," if you will, make Bono FLY SO HIGH!!!!1!1! Though we are weak, Bono helps us TRANSCEND the mundane, the obvious, and we in turn make him "high," or "strong," if you will.

*sigh* I love this band!! :cute:

Read the article. it disgusted me.

And the fact that they said that U2 should be used during Nike commercials proves they know nothing about the band and the politics they espouse.
What a same they aren't blatant sell outs!!!

Oh yeah, I love "Elevation", and I don't mind the lyrics except the bit with the mole... sorry but the mole has to die, :)

When I said "throwaway", I didn't mean "crap"; rather that it's basically three or four minutes of mindless rocking fun that doesn't bear much scrutiny and isn't loaded with the usual U2-ey heaviness.

Back
Top Bottom