Walk On to be re-released to radio !?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_rehearsal

The Fly
This is a copy of an email I received as part of the "at u2.com" mailing list:

"Interscope Records is re-releasing "Walk On" to radio stations in the U.S.,
with what the label is calling a "radio remix" due to arrive at stations on
Wednesday morning, Feb. 27th. This is detailed in a fax distributed Tuesday
to radio stations. The fax also confirms what we already knew -- that U2
will perform "Walk On" during Wednesday's Grammy Awards.

Fax image available: http://www.atu2.com/view.html?walkonfax_lg.gif

(Thanks to TinS for assistance.)

m2"

There ya have it. Will this work ? Is this a good idea as opposed to a new single or none at all ?

aaron

I really don't understand this. They botched the Stuck/Walk On single releases to begin with. By flip-flopping the releases between the U.S. and everyewhere else, I think it confused radio stations and listeners. Radio stations in the U.S. played both during the same 6-7 month period. So there wasn't a clear cut single. I think rule number 1 in marketing is SIMPLICITY. I think the way they released STUCK/WALK confused average (non-U2 fans) listeners. Average listeners need the same song over and over again, not two songs played during the same time. All I know is that I live in Los Angeles and Walk On and Stuck were played pretty much concurrently. That is why I don't think WALK ON took off the way Beautiful Day did. I think a single needs to have a ubiquitous quality to it (like Beautiful Day had) to really take off. Also, one last gripe. I know this has been mentioned ad nauseum, but the fact that they did not release In A Little While as single might be the biggest mis-step by Interscope. I really believe it would have been a Top 10 single in the U.S. It has a real Beatle-esque accessibility to it. Having said that, as a die-hard fan, I am very happy with the way the album has done. But I would give the single marketing dept. a C+.

Hello,

I think this is a good idea from the record company. U2 has just won Record Of The Year for Walk On and here is that track for the radio stations to play. Plus, they've performed this song during the Grammy awards, so people have heard that song on a big time TV show. So this is ideal for radio stations, a Grammy winner for everyone to play.
Last year, the Walk On single didn't do very much in the USA as it was overshadowed by Beautiful Day. Even though BD was already out for half a year, it got a sudden increase in popularity when it won 3 Grammy's. Now Walk On has won in the Record Of The Year category, so hopefully it will now get that huge airplay bump to chart in the Hot 100.

I'd give the marketing department of Interscope an 8 for the releases of U2 singles. And who knows, maybe In A Little While will be released in the future (it was already a Triple A hit, IIRC).

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Back
Top Bottom