Wake Up Dead Man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuvandPeace1980

War Child
I just recently realised I had not played this song in a while.

It's an amazing song and it's just so blunt and beautiful.. I don't know if there is anything like it.

Something bad has happened health wise in my families life And I am really seeing this song from those lyrics perspective at the moment.

Sorry to hear about your fam...

The song is actually one of my favorites, yet in a way it falls short for me...

But I've spoken about that before, this thread is about how this song is taking you through a difficult time. I wish you the best...

Sorry to hear about your family. :( It's a tough thing when you can actually relate to this one first-hand.

Top 10 material for me, this one. I think it's incredibly powerful.

There is something really dark about this song, it gives me shivers every time I hear it.

Sorry to hear about your family. :hug:

Possibly U2's darkest song. A great closer for any album. There is no light at the end of the tunnel here. A song of despair, screaming at God, who doesn't seem to care at all. Fantastic. One of my all time faves.

Something so exhausted about the song. From Bono's vocals to the performance to the mix. Really nails the theme of the song, but also, I guess, the difficulty in making Pop.

I want to hear the "gothic" version that was recorded for Zooropa, but this stripped down version really hits you where it hurts......love it

Yes, I love the acoustic version at Slane Castle. One of my favorite performances of this song.

I love the spirit of this song. The emotions are so raw, real, and honest. It's so like a biblical psalm in that way. This is really where the difference between U2 songs about God and Christ and contemporary christian pop is made clear -- no sugar-coated, perfect relationships with God. Real human emotion.

So sorry to hear about your family. Prayers will be sent your way!

I dream for the day when they play this song, full band, full electric, with an extended solo...that would be amazing.

Best wishes.

I love how it's one of U2's most pensive, faith-related (albeit in a questioning/ accusatory way), and yet it's the only song Bono's used "fuck" in. LOVE it.

Great song too, and I'm glad you are able to use it to help you cope.

Edge wrote the lyrics for Wake Up Dead Man right? At least the first couple verses anyways. Also Bono says motherfucker alot in Mofo.

Sorry about your bad news LuvandPeace1980. I wish the best for your family.

ahittle said:

What's that?

the song was recorded possibly for the zooropa album along with hold me thrill me kiss me kill me,if god will send his angels, and velvet dress. you can read the song titles on the cover of the album.

bonocomet said:
Edge wrote the lyrics for Wake Up Dead Man right? At least the first couple verses anyways.
He wrote the first verse and chorus...

bonocomet said:

Also Bono says motherfucker alot in Mofo.

What, in a remix? And wouldn't he be sayin' motherfuckin instead of motherfucker?

Brilliant song. I really miss that dark, depressing side of U2 (Love is Blindness is a similar example).

BonoVoxSupastar said:

He wrote the first verse and chorus...

What, in a remix? And wouldn't he be sayin' motherfuckin instead of motherfucker?

Ah thanks about the songwriting.

On the 2nd question, no I mean the album studio version. I know it doesn't say "mother-fucker" actually printed in the lyric sheet. It says something like (scat singing) after the word mother, but I've always thought it was very clear that he's saying that in the chorus. (For reference... the first time would be at 2:21 and 2:29) I hear it pretty clearly and that happens to also be the only word they substitued with "scat singing".

Plus he also says "fuck-yeah" at 4:18 right?

bonocomet said:

Ah thanks about the songwriting.

On the 2nd question, no I mean the album studio version. I know it doesn't say "mother-fucker" actually printed in the lyric sheet. It says something like (scat singing) after the word mother, but I've always thought it was very clear that he's saying that in the chorus. (For reference... the first time would be at 2:21 and 2:29) I hear it pretty clearly and that happens to also be the only word they substitued with "scat singing".

Plus he also says "fuck-yeah" at 4:18 right?

Wow, I always thought @ 2:21 and 2:29 he's just singing "Mother" over and over.

Yeah, he may be saying "fuck-yeah" @ 4:18...

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

Wow, I always thought @ 2:21 and 2:29 he's just singing "Mother" over and over.

Yeah, he may be saying "fuck-yeah" @ 4:18...

Really? Huh. I never heard it like that. I hear "fucker" on the 2nd word, (and if it were a repeat of "mother" wouldn't they have just printed the lyric?) I listened again and I still hear the word pretty clearly. Not to mention that is the name of the song after all. :wink:

Sorry for the off topic anyways.... Wake Up Dead Man is great.

Back
Top Bottom