Wake Up Dead Man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I just downloaded it after listening to it on Slane....I reckon it's very overrated here. I don't really enjoy it that much. But it's okay. It's grown on me already, but I think it's a bit boring and left-field. Is this what the the rest of Pop is like?

Give it time, man. I'm convinced it's either the second or third best track on Pop behind Gone and Last Night On Earth. It's got heaps of depth - I don't just mean lyrically (though it does have some of Bono's deepest and heaviest lyrics), but also in terms of production. All of Van Diemen's Land is hidden underneath the surface of Wake Up Dead Man!

In terms of lyrical themes, yes, it's like much of Pop - dark, heavy, introspective, sometimes doubtful and questioning (i.e. Mofo, If God Will Send His Angels, Gone). Musically, no. It has absolutely nothing in common with, say, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, which is a very sensual song. There's a good variety on Pop, despite what some people will tell you. LNOE and Gone, for instance, are two of U2's very best rockers.

And I've said it elsewhere, but I feel Wake Up Dead Man covers the majority of the Biblical Book of Job and Beautiful Day is the conclusion.

No, the rest of Pop isn't like Wake Up Dead Man at all. Bono once described the album as 'it starts with a party and then it turns mean on you'. WUDM is the closer of that album, thus the downer song. Most of the rest of the album is more upbeat, a bit more dance-y and rocking.

I absolutely cherish this song.

It couldn't be overrated no matter how much we praised it, imo.

Slane-version gives the lyrics even more depth than it already had.

just thinking about that metalic guitar intro with bono's pleading radio voice backgrounded by a screaming wall of despair makes me go to other dimension. blessed should be the day that this song has born.

It has grown on me...I'm listening to it now. It's just a bit left-field. Pop sounds exciting, but nothing will stop me getting The Joshua Tree next.

COBL_04 said:
It has grown on me...I'm listening to it now. It's just a bit left-field. Pop sounds exciting, but nothing will stop me getting The Joshua Tree next.

Don't let anything get in the way of you getting The Joshua Tree next. Three words can tell you why you need it: ONE TREE HILL.

COBL_04 said:

Good point... Pop is great but Joshua Tree is the masterpiece. The best U2 album, this is one of the only things about U2 that I'll never change my mind.

Tracks 1 to 9, all :drool:
The last two tracks I don't like them so much but are still great.

Now, Pop and Wake Up dead Man.

Wake Up dead man, at some time, was my favourite song on Pop. So beautiful, so deep, so sad... Now, I still like it but I prefer the rockers: Last Night on Earth and Gone and also Mofo, Staring at the Sun and Playboy Mansion who grown up on me. The other songs are still cool, I only dislike Miami, track 8, but I don't hate it. They tried to sound something different on this song but don't made it very well IMO.

All in all, you have tou get Pop someday, it's a must, but first Joshua Tree! And after JT, maybe TUF and R&H to complete that great trilogy, U2's better trilogy IMO.

After that get Zooropa and Pop since you've got AB and complete the U2's 2nd better trilogy :wink:

One Tree Hill isn't three words though Axver. The only thing that is three words is three words. Nothing can be three words but three words. You youngins' don't understand.

Wake Up Dead Man is an album closer. Only two songs are both album closers and not dramatic. Wake Up Dead Man is one of the more dramatic ones.

Axver said:

Don't let anything get in the way of you getting The Joshua Tree next. Three words can tell you why you need it: ONE TREE HILL.

How about these four words :
RED HILL MINING TOWN

Back
Top Bottom