VMAS: Post your comments here !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to agree with the majority, that except for Carson Daly's introduction (which was very, very generous and well-said), U2's portion and Ben Stiller, the show blew chunks.

And the whole amp issue with U2's entrance was, as Mike said, inexcusable. For this level of production, to not notice such an important detail such as whether the freaking amps are turned on or not is quite an oversight. I hope the appropriate heads are being chewed completely off.
wink.gif

That said, I thought U2 gave a great performance and Bono sounded really, really good, especially during Stuck. I did get the feeling that Stuck was a little lost on the audience, although it did receive nice applause afterwards.

Bono and U2 inviting the Ramones onstage was a very, very classy thing and it pissed the hell out of me that MTV didn't even give them one second of mic time. Reminds me of when they cut Frank Sinatra off during his speech after Bono's intro on the awards show back in 93 (or 95?).

Anyway, it's clear, as it really was well before this show, that MTV has lost touch with what quality really is.

Originally posted by Calluna:
Blarg! I am a bitter creature! I wanted Gorillaz to win!

I know me too, they deserve an award!

------------------
~*Everybody's talkin' about POP Musik!*~

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica* .???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

I hear Spears is in trouble for using animals in her performance, on a program this mornin pple ringin in said they were distressed (the animals)
mad.gif

Not having satellite I didnt see the VMA.....but it showed her with a snake, poor thang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS - anyone in the Uk know if this will be shown on our regular TV slots???????????/

Originally posted by Diemen:
I have to agree with the majority, that except for Carson Daly's introduction (which was very, very generous and well-said), U2's portion and Ben Stiller, the show blew chunks.

Those were the two best parts definitely! I laughed my ass off at Ben Stiller!!

------------------
Trust In God...But Lock Your Doors

I just saw the music critic on CNN review the show...he ripped N'Sync...he ripped Britney...he said Jamie Fox was better when the cameras were off than when they were on...he ripped pop music in general..the CNN host kept trying to say good things about N'Sync...I guess trying to look cool...the critic said their business was down 50% from last year..and he hoped young people would get into more muscians like Alicia Keyes (she at least can play an instrument expertly and writes her own songs...)
He said Britney's act was about as sexy as going to the circus...
biggrin.gif

The highlights according to him where the Ailya (sp?) tribute...Alicia Keyes and and U2...who gave a good strong performance according to him...

we are not alone...

Ok here's my opinion on the show...

Besides it sucking big time, I thought some bits were entertaining like...Andy Dick dressing up as Christina Aguilera...lmao omg that was hilarious when he went over the seats and stood on adam's and larry's seats...did you see Larry laughing?????????

P Diddy and Ben Stiller, omg that was funny when he was making fun of PD..I was like yah you go boy! lmao

That dog was funny too, lmao JLO was pissed when he said the thing about the arse lol

The Shots of Bono and Ali, Edge and Morleigh, Bono and Edge during those weird freaky guys, Bono was like "WTF is this shit?" lol

Carson did a good job with his speech, I think he did write it because when U2 came out on TRL he was like so excited and said some really cool stuff about them

When U2 came on and were shut down, my best friend called me and said "WTF happened?" we were like laughing so hard because when I heard the woo hoo's I started jumping up and down then there was nothing and I was just staring at the screen sayng "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" lol WHen they came on i was jumping up and down madly and yelling "OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGG LARRY LOOKS SO HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT" lol did ya'll notice that larry looks as young as ever *siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh* *droooooooooooooooooooool* lol

OK that's enough from me
smile.gif

That was a lame show, and since I only wanted U2's portions on tape I had to sit throught he entire thing, Ugh! I haven't seen the VMAs in years. It used to be funny, spontaneous, irreverant and fast paced. Last night it was plodding and dull and canned, yet not technically polished like the more mainstream awards. It was like the worst of both worlds
frown.gif

It started off so well with that opera thing, but then the rest of Jamie Foxx's material was lame. It wasn't just that it was geared toward an audience younger than I am. It wasn't even preteen humor, more like 3rd grader humor
frown.gif

(On the other hand, after seeing Kurt Loder interview Dream in the parking garage, it occurred to me that if that's the intellectual level of MTV's audience perhaps Jamie Foxx's material was right on target for the "stupid preteen" demographic)

I LOVED those nature bits before and after the nominees. They were the best part of the show. Aside from U2, of course, who were brilliant.

Ben Stiller was funny but he rambled on too long. He needed a better straight man. P Diddy (or whoever he is today) just stood there looking stupid. (Calling him Puff the Magic Diddy was pricless)

While the shameless plugging got a little tiresome, Macy Gray's dress was a hoot.

You can't expect U2 to win VMAs when the channel is geared toward teenagers.

Originally posted by u2utah:
Ben Stiller was funny but he rambled on too long. He needed a better straight man. P Diddy (or whoever he is today) just stood there looking stupid. (Calling him Puff the Magic Diddy was pricless)

I disagree. Puffy did exactly what a straight man was supposed to do, just stand there and take it. If it had been a stoner like Snoop Dogg or Busta Rhymes, they would've laughed through the whole thing and ruined it.

Britney got her Simpsons quote wrong; it's erotic CAKES, not snakes.

------------------
They want you to be Jesus
They'll go down on one knee
But they'll want their money back
If you're alive at thirty-three
And you're turning tricks
With your crucifix
You're a star

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld

Well I agree with most of what's been said- for the most part a mucho lame evening... MTV has just totally lost it. And there is NO excuse for the way they botched U2's performance. Good thing our guys know how to recover with a little humor & grace. And I don't think that Carson Daly is as much of a wanker as I did...great introduction! It really seemed to come from a completely personal perspective and not tele-prompted, so kudos to Carson. He did them justice. And won't we all be watchin' the video compilation of U2 through the years over & over again until the VCR says ENOUGH ALREADY!? (To which we respond, " too much is not enough").

Why didn't they just let Ben Stiller host again?? He's one of the best parts of the show & he actually knows what he's doing. He doesn't look uncomfortable like he's searching for something funny to say or do. Jamie Foxx was hurting up there to the point that he started insulting people for cheap laughs...that's the sign that you're dying up there. I'm actually surprised that they didn't get Chris Tucker this year to host the show. I was also moved by Aaliyah's tribute from her brother and the fact that he made a point to include the names of the other people who did not survive the crash because their loved ones are hurting, too.
I was glad to see Nelly Furtado, but it would have been better to see her perform one of her songs..."get ur freak on" IS an annoying song & I usually like Missy's stuff. Just looking at those 5 little boys who shall remain nameless, all I could think was how dorky they look & sound when they speak...just dorks! And Brittany's song was AWFUL! I think it's one of THE worst songs I've ever heard.
HELL YES--- THE RAMONES!!!!! But that was unforgivable, not letting them speak. And NO ONE else but U2 even acknowledged Joey Ramone's death and the HUGE role the Ramones played not just in the birth of punk, but in rock music period!!! okay, I'm done.

1. U2 were ready - MTV had no power to the guitar amps.

2. That was the worst show - let alone awards show I have ever seen.

3. U2 should have never shown up for it, and probably would not have, but I think MTV promised them the VVAward if they did show.

4. Gee, didn't the show look like a rip off of ELEVATOION2001 tour? The screen rising, the audience in the middle etc. etc. etc.

5. I have to give Carson Daly some credit for his speech, it was the only thing that was said last night with some emotion, clarity, and intelligence.

6. I can understand why PETA is pised off at B. Spears. She sucked, and the fact that she dragged animals into her sucky performance even made me mad.

7. I am pissed off.

8. How can MTV think that what they presented to us is a good representation of music in the year 2001. I missed the pre-show, but U2 and Staind wher ethe only two "bands" who performed.

9. The people who accepted awards were not speaking English.

10. Michael Jackson was so damn creepy I could not go to sleep.

READ MY COMMENTS, Y'ALL!

lol, you have to love the vma's. tasteless excess, poorly executed. they shouldn't have done it live, too many fuck ups. anyhow U2 comments:

-bono's got new shades! i like them...

-the woo-hoos sounded really cool without any music. i thought they were doing a new remix, then they cut to commerical!

-adam looked hot! (i love when he spreads his legs and holds his bass out infront of him. looks like his "instrument" is "elevated."
smile.gif
)

-larry looked sexy... and surly.
wink.gif

-edge looked good, though we didn't get to see him too much.
frown.gif

-bono looked fabulous! (ali looked pretty too... i guess...)

-was that not a really long commerical break? the longer it went the more convinced i became that something horrible had happended. (edge has been shot! sparky electricuted them!)

-they should have gone back to elevation (which sounded awesome!) after stuck. i thought they ended on a down note.

-carson's speech was heartfelt. so you can't say that everything at mtv is fake.

-i think we got screwed on an acceptance speech. typical U2, always have to be giving!

-the band handled the electricity situation like the professionals that they are.

-yeah, i noticied the rappers that didn't stand up. they probably didn't like carson's comment about how U2 could afford more bling-bling then all the posses in the room!
wink.gif

******-did you guys see the pre-show? they were on at the very end, fucking hilarious! john norris was sitting next to adam (who looked really cool) then came edge, then bono, then larry. john norris started the interview but bono and larry weren't listening. so edge elbowed bono in the gut and he immediatly snapped into action! he's a machine! after their interview, sway (who's a vj) was trying to interview jay-z over by the fan pit, but the fans kept screaming for bono!
biggrin.gif

U2 should have one best rock or best group video. i'm not surprised they didn't win video of the year. lady marmalade is a well done video, however weapon of choice is better. all in all it was okay.

------------------
Brought to you by the OTHER "creamy coated pop icon goddess."

Love,
Emily

"Free at last, they took your life. They could not take your pride."

-The pre-show interview with U2 was too funny! Bono & Larry talking away, Adam relaxing by the fountain and The Edge mortified answering the question.
biggrin.gif

-Thumbs up to Carson for the speech!
-Awesome medley of U2 video clips!
-Bono's solo ooohs at the first Elevation try was a treat even tho they had technical difficulties.
-U2's performance was the best and only good part of the show.
I liked Bono's interaction with the crowd, it brought back great memories.
smile.gif

-Britney Spears performance was like a circus show...I don't care for her music but I kind of felt sorry for her because she didn't get a good reaction from the audience.
-Is Cristina Aguilera pregnant? Probably not...Those pants didn't look righ on her.
-Moby crediting Gwen Stefani for the success of his video was cute.
-Aaliyah's clip brought tears to my eyes.

Originally posted by PopFly:
I disagree. Puffy did exactly what a straight man was supposed to do, just stand there and take it. If it had been a stoner like Snoop Dogg or Busta Rhymes, they would've laughed through the whole thing and ruined it.

True, at least he didn't laugh, but a straight man is supposed to react somewhat, not stand their like a wet noodle just staring at Stiller like an idiot. With comedy, timing is everything and, without any reaction from Puffy, Stiller had to ramble on too long which kind of took the punch out of it. Of course, getting the timing right is not easy, and Puffy is not a comedian. Like the saying goes, "Dying is easy, comedy is hard"

Stiller would have been a good host. If I recall, he and Janeane Garafallo hosted the MTV Movie awards a few years back and did a good job. I was disapointed with Jamie Foxx since his promo spots were good. Seems like he prepared for the opening sequence and forgot that he had the whole show to do.

Back
Top Bottom