Visually speaking, how does the Vertigo stage rank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
J_NP said:

Who's Robbie Williams ?? :scratch:

He's very famous in Europe.

Here's his stage:

RobbieWilliamsEscapologyConcertTour.gif

Here's KISS's stage:

newest_kisspic_3.jpg

kiss.jpg

what U2 songs would pyrotechnics work for without making it look really stupid?

it seems like they often get the crowd fired up, but they almost seem to take away from the song. U2 is about getting reaction from fans because of the music, not from silly explosions.

DontExpect said:

it seems like they often get the crowd fired up, but they almost seem to take away from the song. U2 is about getting reaction from fans because of the music, not from silly explosions.

I totally, agree. However, what if they had explosions on Bullet the Blue Sky where Bono says "slapping them down...one hundred" fireworks..."two hundred"...more fireworks.

Chizip said:
I'm just saying Streets was a letdown compared to other versions I had seen. If I hadn't seen Streets live before, then I wouldn't have had anything to compare it to and I'm sure I would have liked it better.

Vertigo was my first and only U2 show ever. But I had seen previous DVD's and I admit I was disappointed at the lack of "explosion" in the visuals.

The flags were just too passive and didn't add to the song.

DontExpect said:

Come on, U2 with a few flares, some explosions :love:

Beats Bono crawling on his belly like a cat! :D

I wonder why U2 passed up on the "make the stage a screen, too" stuff that George Michael and Paul McCartney used, their last times out? I could see them making great use of something like GM used (Macca's was... good for Macca, cos he never moves, but it would look clunky to anyone else).

Agreed.

I have to say the light strands worked pretty good for what they were intended for.

I personally think that Vertigo was a large improvement over Elevevation but it was kind of like Elevation version 2.0 or something, where as the differences between other tours have been much larger quantum leaps.

I have a feeling that when U2 has a successful tour they take the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it - too much" approach....

It's only the "failures" in their minds that they need to re-imagine completely.

Just my opinion mind you.

elevated_u2_fan said:
I personally think that Vertigo was a large improvement over Elevevation but it was kind of like Elevation version 2.0 or something, where as the differences between other tours have been much larger quantum leaps.

I don't think that's normally the case. Sure, Lovetown --> ZooTV was a "quantum leap", and so was Popmart --> Elevation, but otherwise? ZooTV --> Popmart is as contentious as Elevation --> Vertigo, with people arguing both ways. And the eighties tours? It was essentially just changing the backdrop and sometimes moving to a bigger stage, e.g. from theatres to arenas.

Axver said:

I don't think that's normally the case. Sure, Lovetown --> ZooTV was a "quantum leap", and so was Popmart --> Elevation, but otherwise? ZooTV --> Popmart is as contentious as Elevation --> Vertigo, with people arguing both ways. And the eighties tours? It was essentially just changing the backdrop and sometimes moving to a bigger stage, e.g. from theatres to arenas.

But further into the post, the person said that they thought that (generally) the band completely revisioned tours when they thought it was a failure. Was Zoo TV a failure? No. Was Popmart a failure? Arguably, yes. Was Elevation a failure? Hardly. And apparently the band either didn't have this system back in the 80's or they considered all of their tours a success.

The post was definitely correct.

Axver said:

I can't speak for all of them of course but the Zoo TV > Popmart falls more under the 'successful tour they take the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it - too much' approach"

LemonMelon said:

But further into the post, the person said that they thought that (generally) the band completely revisioned tours when they thought it was a failure. Was Zoo TV a failure? No. Was Popmart a failure? Arguably, yes. Was Elevation a failure? Hardly. And apparently the band either didn't have this system back in the 80's or they considered all of their tours a success.

The post was definitely correct.

Thank you for posting this :up:

I had already replied when I noticed you did it for me.

LemonMelon said:

Was Popmart a failure? Arguably, yes.

Lemon u say that , and I will have to say again What country saw it as a failure .....

What I'm sayin is old , yes , but that is OLDER .... and plain bullshit

J_NP said:

Lemon u say that , and I will have to say again What country saw it as a failure .....

What I'm sayin is old , yes , but that is OLDER .... and plain bullshit

Personally, I loved Popmart, but when the greatest band on earth is only playing stadiums at 50-75% capacity, something is wrong. :huh:

I consider it a failure commercially more than anything, because I enjoy listening to the bootlegs and all. I just think they could have done more with the setlists...kept DYFL, played a full WUDM, etc...

I think the biggest problem with Popmart (and possibly the main reason for the negativity around the tour) is that it came after Zoo TV, the band's finest hour; It did everything that it should have and more. So following that was quite a task, and IMO, they failed. But of course, I must say, the only thing they failed to top was their own peak.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
It doesn't rank, it stank.

I don't understand this. It seems like you're just being negative for the sake of being negative. It certainly didn't stink.

elevated_u2_fan said:

I can't speak for all of them of course but the Zoo TV > Popmart falls more under the 'successful tour they take the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it - too much' approach"

Yeah, but you said U2 generally had quantum leaps between tours ... and then you contradict yourself by saying they go for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" most of the time with only a couple of quantum leaps. So which is it?

LemonMelon said:

Personally, I loved Popmart, but when the greatest band on earth is only playing stadiums at 50-75% capacity, something is wrong. :huh:

I consider it a failure commercially more than anything, because I enjoy listening to the bootlegs and all. I just think they could have done more with the setlists...kept DYFL, played a full WUDM, etc...

I think the biggest problem with Popmart (and possibly the main reason for the negativity around the tour) is that it came after Zoo TV, the band's finest hour; It did everything that it should have and more. So following that was quite a task, and IMO, they failed. But of course, I must say, the only thing they failed to top was their own peak.

:banghead: :banghead: This old discussion only makes me ..... feel like :banghead:

Look L Melon I respect ur opinion and commentaries , but Since I had this discussion over and over here I will only point out some things ....

-Popmart Was A Sucess , Financially and Artistically in Europe , South America , Pacific
- You are a american , and no Wonder I've never seen any european or other part of the world call it a failure

I don't know , I'm kinda sick of this argument , and before a couple of persons here call me Anti-American again but I must say .......

All I see u're talkin is what I see as American view of this subject / u2 like , Most Americans don't seem to like Stadium shows ..... That Popmart was a joke ..... I doesn't matter if it went good in other places , went bad here it went BAD all round

Maybe Blue Room or other I had this conversation can come here and continue this but I'm really tired of this ' Popmart was a failure ' bullshit

J_NP said:

:banghead: :banghead: This old discussion only makes me ..... feel like :banghead:

Look L Melon I respect ur opinion and commentaries , but Since I had this discussion over and over here I will only point out some things ....

-Popmart Was A Sucess , Financially and Artistically in Europe , South America , Pacific
- You are a american , and no Wonder I've never seen any european or other part of the world call it a failure

I don't know , I'm kinda sick of this argument , and before a couple of persons here call me Anti-American again but I must say .......

All I see u're talkin is what I see as American view of this subject / u2 like , Most Americans don't seem to like Stadium shows ..... That Popmart was a joke ..... I doesn't matter if it went good in other places , went bad here it went BAD all round

Maybe Blue Room or other I had this conversation can come here and continue this but I'm really tired of this ' Popmart was a failure ' bullshit

:eyebrow: It's nothing to get upset over...I just may have a different perspective is all. :shrug:

I am an American, and sort of have the American U2 fan (AKA caveman) stereotype going on:

Elevation good, Popmart bad. :wink:

Axver said:

Yeah, but you said U2 generally had quantum leaps between tours ... and then you contradict yourself by saying they go for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" most of the time with only a couple of quantum leaps. So which is it?

Sorry if I was unclear, what I said was U2 seems to stick to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality if they have a sucessful tour:

Zoo Tv --> Popmart - two "similar" tours in design and staging, Popmart was sort of a rethinking of Zoo in many ways

Elevation --> Vertigo - like I had said, Vertigo almost felt like Elevation version 2.0

U2 seems to make more drastic changes when they fail in their minds; like the change from Popmart to Elevation.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

I don't understand this. It seems like you're just being negative for the sake of being negative. It certainly didn't stink.

I was being sarcastic.

Back
Top Bottom