Virgin Radio: Top 500 Songs of All Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sue4u2

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
For anyone listening to Virgin - online radio station?(UK)
This is their Top 500 All Time List:

http://www.virginradio.co.uk/music/top500/index.html

Led Zeppelin is # 1 with Stairway to Heaven.
U2 is #2 with - One.

Of the top 100 all time songs played U2 has 7:

# 2 - One
#15 - Pride
#25 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
#43 - Where The Streets Have No Na,e
#56 - With or Without You
#69 - Sweetest Thing
#90 - Beautiful Day
:cool:
Pretty impressive by all accounts...:bono: :edge: :adam: :larry:

Edited to say: Haven't been through the rest yet. I have company coming over. :wink:

Last edited:
Sweetest Thing isn't even on the top 10 U2 songs, how could it make that list? It's didn't even make it to the Joshua Tree album! Virgin Radio has zero credibility to me now.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Sweetest Thing isn't even on the top 10 U2 songs, how could it make that list? It's didn't even make it to the Joshua Tree album! .

Cheers,

J

Sweetest Thing is a great song as far as I am concerned, and always has been... muscially and lyrically. Whenever I read about music poll results, I always think that if a piece of music touches you, reaches you - meaning, any individual- then that's what matters.

This isn't a credibility test, jick: Not about what's better than what isn't. It's radio play form a station in the UK that even I can listen to (online) in the deep south (USA).
Try not to analyze too much into it. It's just what was the most requested play on one world wide radio station's poll.
It's info, that's all.

U2 Songs: 101 - 200

#111 - The Unforgettable Fire
#144 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
#166 - Mysterious Ways
#184 - New Years Day

Edited to say: not sure if this station is actually.. WORLD wide. :wink:

Last edited:
jick said:
Sweetest Thing isn't even on the top 10 U2 songs, how could it make that list? It's didn't even make it to the Joshua Tree album! Virgin Radio has zero credibility to me now.

Cheers,

J

Agreed. Very bizarre selection. Where's stuff like New Year's Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday, the genuine classics?

jick said:

Cheers,

J

I think it is a matter of personal opinion in tastes regardless of whether the publisher of the list is credible or not.

201 - 300

#205 - Angel of Harlem
#231 - Stuck In a Moment
#Desire
301 - 400

#359 - Even Better Than The Real Thing
#374 - Vertigo !!
400 - 500

454 - The Fly

So now I'm curious to know if any other band made it into their top 500 play list with 18 songs..
This might take some time.... :ohmy:

sweet :up:

there top ten list is sort of strange. "sweet child of mine", "angels", and "trouble" all in the top 10, but not "let it be"!?

Here's the obvious:
Most songs in the top 500.
(number after song count is average ranking, which to me, suggests the beatles rule in quantity, if not quality)

1. Beatles (28) (254)
2. U2 (17) (165)
3. Rollings Stones (16) (169)
4. David Bowie (16) (243)
5. Queen (13) (188)

Top Ranked One-Hit Wonders:
artist - song (rank)

1. Human League - Don't you want me (18)
2. Soft Cell - Tainted Love (31)
3. Derek & The Dominoes - Layla (33)

Back
Top Bottom