Video for Sometimes You Can't Make It...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cruisin97

Babyface
This song is probably scheduled to be released as the third single from HTDAAB. It has major hit written all over it as many on this board have suggested time and time again. A lot will have to do with the way its presented. Soooo, what type of video should U2 do for this single?

Something akin to One?
Perhaps a live performance?
Perhaps a photo album type video of Bono and his father?

I think this will be a critical fork in the road that determines the commercial success of this album.

Suggestions?

I like the idea of a photo album type video. They could show shots of Bono and his dad as well as shots of the band itself throughout the years. I would love that.

SYCMIOYO photo album good

Include other friends of the band who have passed as well, Bono's mum, the heroin friend from the Virgin Prunes(can't recall the name, I know how cold that sounds), Hutch, etc. Or maybe that would be too exploitative

I think it should certainly have more of a story feel to it. No more strictly performance videos. This song has a very personal story, I think the band should tell the story to some extent.

madonna's child said:
I think it should certainly have more of a story feel to it. No more strictly performance videos. This song has a very personal story, I think the band should tell the story to some extent.

I remind you of the Stuck In A Moment video and then say that a performance video is the way to go with U2. I also remind you of the Elevation video.

Performance video all the way but with some good textures seems to be the best route to go with U2. Electral Storm was a good video. Beautiful Day was good. Just keep Bono in front of the camera and don't let him get charged up about bringing in John Madden.

LiveFire said:

I remind you of the Stuck In A Moment video and then say that a performance video is the way to go with U2. I also remind you of the Elevation video.

That's quite unfair to the videos for "One" and "All I Want is You"

:)

UnforgettableLemon said:

That's quite unfair to the videos for "One" and "All I Want is You"

:)

But One wasn't so much of a story video was it? It's Bono singing in a bar/drag and then BUFFALOES!

Besides if One was up to the epicness of what was the Thriller video John Madden completely cancels out any credability the band had with story videos.

It's obvious they just didn't really give a fuck about the videos for ATYCLB.

Beautiful Day is a great video. Really well directed. And the airplanes are awesome.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Oh, and I like the whole expressionistic take on videos, too. Though a vid like "Please" probably wouldn't suit SYCMIOYO

LNOE was the last great story video I'll put that out there and see if anyone can think of a newer better one.

William Burroughs folks! And ZOMBIES!

I wouldn't like a performance video too much probably, if Vertigo and ABOY are already going to follow that route. I would be interested in a story-like context, a la "Bono singing in a bar" or telling the story to some degree. Something like that would be interesting.

trevgreg said:
I wouldn't like a performance video too much probably, if Vertigo and ABOY are already going to follow that route. I would be interested in a story-like context, a la "Bono singing in a bar" or telling the story to some degree. Something like that would be interesting.

Let's have the story be about a baseball team and the one superstar slugger goes out and instead of hitting a homerun he strikes out and then a rookie who he gave shit to comes up and hits a bloop single to score the winning run and it proves that sometimes you can't make it on your own and then we can have Joe Buck in it and he can be like "SLAMALAMA DING DONG!" and ring his bell and that would ROCK!

U2 has to watch that video now and just be all :reject:.

trevgreg said:

That'd be cool for me too..

I'm glad I'm not the only crazy person speculating on SYCMIOYO video possibilities. This has the potential to be one of the most emotional, powerful U2 videos ever. I would love it if Mark Romanek did the video - he did the "Hurt" video for Johnny Cash and that was one of the amazing videos I've ever seen. I can't watch it without tearing up.

I think it should be a very personal and slightly disturbing video like Johnny Cash's "Hurt" and John Mellencamp's "Walk Tall."

Back
Top Bottom