Vertigo Underrated (And Has Legs!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malhithearnaz

The Fly
I was extremely disappointed when I first heard this song. I thought it was nice and catchy, but was not what U2 was about. It hung in there (in my consiousness) for a few weeks. And then it was played live...and still it hung in there. And all this while I thought ABOY, Yahweh, Love or Peace and Crumbs were the best off the album. Last 2 weeks have had me really hooked on this song. It IS PUNK ROCK FROM VENUS...I agree with Bono 100%. This IS how U2 doing Punk Rock in 2004 should sound.

Do not liken this song to Elevation...I know some of us here think that both of them serve the same purpose...they are catchy, fast and "radio-friendly" and are just there as fillers (in terms of a rockin' song taking up space on their resoective albums). While Elevation was shallow (though catchy), this one is far from it. And it is awesome LIVE. The lyrics are not your average rock song lyrics. They ARE deep. I love what the Edge does here too. Its not his usual stuff.

Anybody else think so?

i agree! vertigo is a great song...i only realised recently... i love popping in htdaab into my cd player and hearing it kick in...lovely

Vertigo is one of the best songs off HTDAAB. It is the perfect first single for that album.

Cheers,

J

I think there's a lot of Vertigo backlash from people who just wanted to watch the baseball playoffs and ended up seeing the commercial 8,000 times.

I think the song works at two levels...

One for the casual fan, just for the fact that it rocks.
The other for the hardcore fan, where the lyrics are more subjective. It helps though that it rocks... :)

I loved it from the moment i first heard it. And it's a GREAT way to kick off the album. Some days I find myself singing it in my head...it's catchy.

Vertigo has just been overplayed (a bit) and there are those in this forum who are tired of it compared to some of the newer material on the album.

Vertigo is easily their hardest lead-off single since "The Fly". It rocks, it rolls and it makes you think a bit...if you want to.

I agree with you...since the first day I heard the song!

Vertigo lovers,

This is not an "I told you so" type of answer. I've always liked Vertigo, so I looked up my earliest post about the song. I'm glad much of what I had hoped for several months ago has actually happened...

Also, the song has had a 5 week run of 10-2-3-2-2 on the GLOBAL SINGLES CHART. It jumped from 10 to 2 when the single went on sale, as this chart combines airplay and sales from around the world. There was NO SINGLE RELEASE available for purchase in the U.S., either, which would have easily made the song #1 in the world IMO. Regardless, you are correct, THIS SONG HAS LEGS!

Vertigo 1st impressions:

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99237

Global Music Charts:

http://www.mediatraffic.de/

Vertigo is better based on the lone fact that there are no lyrics referring to "a mole, digging in a hole".

*cringes yet again at the thought of that line*

Zoocoustic said:
Vertigo is better based on the lone fact that there are no lyrics referring to "a mole, digging in a hole".

Yeah, but who ever thought of rhyming "moles, souls and holes" in a rock song? Not Robert Plant, Billy Corgan, Eddie Vedder or Pete Townshend....well maybe Pete.

I love Elevation too! Maybe for sentiment only, but I still listen to it.:yes:

week 5 U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
Island - 3 weeks at No.1
week 6 Eminem - Encore
Shady / Interscope No.2

i always wanted that to happen......:)

vertigo is much much faster than elevation... i listened to elevation and vertigo both (left channel (elevation) in one ear, right channel (vertigo) in the other) and difference was clear
vertigo is a faster, catchier song with a cooler riff and it makes elevation seem kindof tedious and boring to me (even tho i enjoy the song as a concert opener)

Last edited:
Vertigo was the perfect first single. It has done it's job. Everyone everywhere has heard it, some are sick to death of it and it doesn't really matter if you like it or not but it will last just like Beautiful Day.

Zoocoustic said:

Well, I guess saying uno dos tres catorce, hola and donde esta is SO much better...

I like moles digging in holes, digging up my soul now, going down excavation is class imo...........

Vertigo has suprised me.

I loved the song when it first came out but thought it will most definitely fade when I heard the rest of the album. After having the album for almost 2 months, Vertigo is still the only song I never ever get sick of. The only other song that comes close on the album is OOTS.

I also think Vertigo has a lot more meaning in it than it's been given credit for.

..and since I love it (now), I hope that they don't start the concerts with it. I would love it being done in the encore. Or is that stupid?

I liked somebody else's idea of starting with Love and Peace or Else. Its won't be the joyous start like Elevation, but will sure as hell be a HARD one.

Back
Top Bottom