Vertigo played on FOX NFL Sunday.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
no, not the whole thing.:wink: but they had a little segment with big hits, with Vertigo playing over it.

that's a good sign for Vertigo, imo. i've had more people come up to me and comment on the single than they did Beautiful Day, Discotheque, and Numb combined.

fox always likes to use u2.

i remember back in the 2002 NLDS when electrical storm came out, they used the radio 1 version for a segment with the braves/giants pregame

StlElevation said:
fox always likes to use u2.

i remember back in the 2002 NLDS when electrical storm came out, they used the radio 1 version for a segment with the braves/giants pregame

yes! i remember that!

yep, i believe it was for game 4 if my memory serves right.

sorta scary that i remember this :reject:

Yep, at the very end of the unbelieveable 2001 (?) World Series, they played Stuck in a Moment while showing a hightlights montage.

They've been played on all three major sports championships..

Football:
Super Bowl - performed at halftime '02

Baseball:
World Series - 2001 (see above); '02 NLDS

Basketball:
NBA Final - 1997 (clips from POP [DYFL] during segway to commercials); halftime performance '01

Somebody stop the Yankees.

Last edited:
hopefully the NFL learns from the Janet Jackson Superbowl debacle and gets U2 for this year's Superbowl :)... and to the above post, I believe they showed Beautiful Day and Where the Streets Have No Name from the Boston concert (that eventually ended up on DVD) on the half time of Game 1 of the 2001 NBA Finals because they were on the same night, I think BD wasn't shown live, but I think Streets was

edit: noticed you already mentioned that

Last edited:
They also played In Gods Country the night U2 played the superbowl and Until the end of the world to go to and from commercial breaks!

My local news 10 station likes U2. They have played Until the End of the World and Streets during commericals advertising the station.

PBS also played the intro to One Tree Hill on one of thier commercials too.

Last edited:
The NFl always uses U2 songs. I would bet that Desire is probably one of the most used "sports anthems" ever. I mean there's We are the Champions, Rockn'Roll part 2, We Will Rock You, Welcome to the Jungle and Desire. Those songs are absolute constants. Desire seems to be used by networks on an almost weekly basisis when it comes to the NFL.

Hallucination said:
The NFl always uses U2 songs. I would bet that Desire is probably one of the most used "sports anthems" ever. I mean there's We are the Champions, Rockn'Roll part 2, We Will Rock You, Welcome to the Jungle and Desire. Those songs are absolute constants. Desire seems to be used by networks on an almost weekly basisis when it comes to the NFL.

Really? Maybe I should start watching football more often.:hmm:

indigo tree said:

Really? Maybe I should start watching football more often.:hmm:

And Hockey. Desire is always played at games. Too bad there's no NHL this year to play it at:mad: The Vancouver Canucks and the Montreal Canadiens use Where the Streets Have No Name as their entrance music when they hit the ice. Vancouver has a very cool version with the intro looped over and over again with a siren going off in the background while Montreal uses the live version from the Boston show on the Elevation DVD.

back in the good ol days when MJ was leading the Bulls to all those NBA titles, 'Streets' was played in the stadium at the jumpball to start the game. it was very cool- got your heart pumping, especially during the playoffs.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
the NFL doesn't like to repeat themselves so quickly... the chances of u2 playing the half time show this year are quite slim, although with all the outrage over janet jackson, anything is possiable

well they did the following year ask them to do the opening day kickoff, no?

im sure they wont ask them to do it this year, but that would be the nfl repeating themselves, albeit not the half time show. i may be wrong though.

ESPN really loves u2 also. During the NBA broadcasts, their pre game show was in NY. I heard "New York" many times during the broadcasts. Also before the Kings Vs. Wolves series game, they played ISHFWILF.

"Desire" is played between innings at virtually every baseball stadium in the land.

Then there is that ESPN list of ballplayers "intro" songs as they come to bat. I still remember going to college games and one of the guys always came to the plate with "Hold Me, Thrill Me" in the background. Good times.

Who'd a thunk U2 and sports would go so well together. Must be that soaring uplifting anthem vibe.

CBS Football used Vertigo twice when displaying a little montage of the Patriots pursuit of the record tying winning streak on sunday.

"People say you shouldn’t mix music and politics or sport and politics or whatever, but I think that’s bullshit."

Back
Top Bottom