Vertigo jumps to #39!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkramer

War Child
Vertigo jumps into the top 40 this week, moving a healthy five spots. This is their first top 40 single since Beautiful Day.

Join us in peeling off those dollar bills for a more in depth discussion...

Is that the top 100 in the US? how does that chart work, is it just airplay? what the most played song over in the US anyways?

This chart is for North America. It's MOSTLY based on airplay these days, but digital sales are going to change the model I think.

Here's the breakdown:

Hot 100: from #44 to #39

Digital chart: #4 again. but billboard indicates it as a stronger 4 than last week (this will be higher next week I think)

Modern Rock: #2 again, but billboard indicates it as a stronger 2 than last week

Adult top 40: from #19 to #18

Mainstream Rock: from #10 to #6

That's kind of sad actually when you realize the number in question is 39 and not something in the top 10. It just shows you how unpopular this song is since it came out, so i don't understand why you guys are so excited ? 39 is pretty pathetic. :( Here is a list of songs that are currently popular in the states:

Welcome to America people ! :(

1 Maroon 5 SHE WILL BE LOVED
2 Avril Lavigne MY HAPPY ENDING
3 Ryan Cabrera ON THE WAY DOWN
4 Ciara Featuring Petey Pablo GOODIES
5 Ashlee Simpson PIECES OF ME
6 Black Eyed Peas LET'S GET IT STARTED
7 Kelly Clarkson BREAKAWAY
8 Destiny's Child LOSE MY BREATH
9 Lil" Flip featuring
Lea SUNSHINE
10 Finger Eleven ONE THING
11 JoJo LEAVE
12 Alicia Keys IF I AIN’T GOT YOU
13 Eminem JUST LOSE IT
14 Terror Squad
Featuring Fat Joe & Remy LEAN BACK
15 Bowling For Soup 1985
16 Seether (Featuring Amy Lee) BROKEN
17 Houston Featuring Chingy, I-20 & Nate Dogg I LIKE THAT
18 Usher featuring Alicia Keys MY BOO
19 Christina Milian featuring Fabolous DIP IT LOW
20 Switchfoot DARE YOU TO MOVE
21 Ashlee Simpson SHADOW
22 Linkin Park BREAKING THE HABIT
23 Nina Sky featuring
Jabba MOVE YA BODY
24 Kevin Lyttle TURN ME ON
25 Britney Spears MY PREROGATIVE
26 Nelly & Christina Aguilera TILT YA HEAD BACK
27 Nelly featuring Jaheim MY PLACE
28 Jojo featuring Bow Wow BABY IT'S YOU
29 Nitty NASTY GIRL
30 Juvenile SLOW MOTION
31 Vanessa Carlton WHITE HOUSES
32 Franz Ferdinand TAKE ME OUT
33 Simple Plan Welcome To My Life
34 The Killers SOMEBODY TOLD ME
35 Good Charlotte PREDICTABLE
36 Trick Daddy featuring Twista & Lil' Jon LET'S GO
37 Skye Sweetnam TANGLED UP IN ME
38 Akon featuring Styles P LOCKED UP
39 Nelly featuring Tim McGraw OVER AND OVER
40 Hilary Duff FLY

EvolutionMonkey said:
That's kind of sad actually when you realize the number in question is 39 and not something in the top 10. It just shows you how unpopular this song is since it came out, so i don't understand why you guys are so excited ? 39 is pretty pathetic. :(

Not so fast, you have to take into consideration that the US Billboard Hot 100 is quite a slow chart. Songs often don't rush to the top, but climb slowly. Vertigo entered the charts 4 weeks ago and has now climbed to #39. In the top 40, there are only 4 songs higher than Vertigo that have been on the charts for 4 weeks or less. Including those, there are also only 15 songs above Vertigo that have been on the chart for 10 weeks or less. When you consider that you can see that Vertigo is doing quite alright and has a lot of potential to climb even higher. Now that it has entered the top 40 it will hopefully be played a lot more on the Top 40 stations.

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:

Not so fast, you have to take into consideration that the US Billboard Hot 100 is quite a slow chart. Songs often don't rush to the top, but climb slowly. Vertigo entered the charts 4 weeks ago and has now climbed to #39. In the top 40, there are only 4 songs higher than Vertigo that have been on the charts for 4 weeks or less. Including those, there are also only 15 songs above Vertigo that have been on the chart for 10 weeks or less. When you consider that you can see that Vertigo is doing quite alright and has a lot of potential to climb even higher. Now that it has entered the top 40 it will hopefully be played a lot more on the Top 40 stations.

C ya!

Marty

But how high do you actually think it will go ? How high did Elevation, Beautiful Day and Stuck go ?

My point is the States is a market dominated with crap pop music and even with U2's big budget its going to be very difficult to crack the top 10 for the singles. The album will maybe be in the top 3 for 1 or 2 weeks but will slip because of artists like Destiny's Child, Eminem and a slew of others coming out. I'm not telling you anything you don't know of course but i personally think it's pretty sad that a band as great as U2 will be hard pressed to get any of their singles IN THE TOP 10 ! I'm not saying #1 or #2 but any where in the top 10 while one of those flash in the pans like Ashley Simpson WILL probably make it there. :madspit: What is wrong with Americans that they have such an unhealthy fascination with crap music ? :confused:

People wake up.
This song is only 4 weeks old.
It takes weeks for top 40 stations here to even look at artists like U2 anymore. They quite literally will not play untested songs. They wait till they are popular on other formats. Unless you are D Child or M&M you won't get a free pass.

Now that it is in the 40 or above catagory, we will see if it takes off.
These numbers are actually quite encouraging.

(Don't forget Pride never made it above #33, and now you hear it all the time. Final chart position doesn't matter, it's how long you sit on that chart.)

Last edited:
EvolutionMonkey said:

But how high do you actually think it will go ? How high did Elevation, Beautiful Day and Stuck go ?

My point is the States is a market dominated with crap pop music and even with U2's big budget its going to be very difficult to crack the top 10 for the singles. The album will maybe be in the top 3 for 1 or 2 weeks but will slip because of artists like Destiny's Child, Eminem and a slew of others coming out. I'm not telling you anything you don't know of course but i personally think it's pretty sad that a band as great as U2 will be hard pressed to get any of their singles IN THE TOP 10 ! I'm not saying #1 or #2 but any where in the top 10 while one of those flash in the pans like Ashley Simpson WILL probably make it there. :madspit: What is wrong with Americans that they have such an unhealthy fascination with crap music ? :confused:

Guys, most songs aren't even chosen by the local public. It's a program director sitting at Clear Channel three states away that will determine what your local so-called "MIX" station will be playing. Corporate consolidation, not public taste, determines these "crap" songs you hate. Blame them, not your average american.

Sleep Over Jack said:
Album sales are what count, and anyone will be hard pressed to match U2's coming area in that regard.. ;)

Yes, in this respect, U2 is very strong in the States. ATYCLB sold 4 million in the USA, and that's nothing to sneeze at. Most acts will never sell this many here, and I think HTDAAB has a better than average shot at duplicating the same success.

EvolutionMonkey said:

Beautiful Day - 21
Walk on - did not chart
Elevation - did not chart
Stuck in a Moment - 52

And for even further comparison, One only made it to #10 and that is considered one of the greatest songs of all time. Do not expect a top 10 song from U2 in the US. #39 at this point is actually very good.

tkramer said:

Yes, in this respect, U2 is very strong in the States. ATYCLB sold 4 million in the USA, and that's nothing to sneeze at. Most acts will never sell this many here, and I think HTDAAB has a better than average shot at duplicating the same success.

and probably 10million+ worldwide too!

tkramer said:
People wake up.
This song is only 4 weeks old.
It takes weeks for top 40 stations here to even look at artists like U2 anymore. They quite literally will not play untested songs. They wait till they are popular on other formats. Unless you are D Child or M&M you won't get a free pass.

Now that it is in the 40 or above catagory, we will see if it takes off.
These numbers are actually quite encouraging.

(Don't forget Pride never made it above #33, and now you hear it all the time. Final chart position doesn't matter, it's how long you sit on that chart.)

U2 was not that famous in America when Pride came out but they sure as hell are now and to say that Destiny's Child and Eminem are going to get a free pass but U2 won't get one is exactly what i'm talking about that U2 is not as popular in America as we all would like or think they are. Why is that ? Why does Emenem get a free pass but U2 doesn't ?

It's good to be optimistic and all but look at the cold hard facts of where the singles from the last album charted.

bsp77 said:

Beautiful Day - 21
Walk on - did not chart
Elevation - did not chart
Stuck in a Moment - 52

And for even further comparison, One only made it to #10 and that is considered one of the greatest songs of all time. Do not expect a top 10 song from U2 in the US. #39 at this point is actually very good.

Discotheque got to no.10 right? If there is a new wave of U2 hype and amazing word of mouth about the album, I wouldn't count out a U2 top 10 from this album!

Last edited:
EvolutionMonkey said:

U2 was not that famous in America when Pride came out but they sure as hell are now and to say that Destiny's Child and Eminem are going to get a free pass but U2 won't get one is exactly what i'm talking about that U2 is not as popular in America as we all would like or think they are. Why is that ? Why does Emenem get a free pass but U2 doesn't ?

It's good to be optimistic and all but look at the cold hard facts of where the singles from the last album charted, maybe somebody can post it.

Again, the last album did 4 million in the US, and about 11-12 million across the globe! that is what matters in terms of commercial success.

Simmer down ;)

Well look,to me the singles charts are pretty irrelevant, U2 will sell tons of albums again and could be about to release one of their greatest albums so I am not too worried:wink:

EvolutionMonkey said:

It's good to be optimistic and all but look at the cold hard facts of where the singles from the last album charted.

You are still missing the point. It does not matter if the song gets into the top 10. The album will sell a lot and more people will hear the song that way. As I said, One only reached number 10, but is still played on the radio all the time. Most of the current top 10 songs will not be remembered in one year by the fickle teenyboppers that put it there. U2 will be remembered, who cares if the song breaks the top 10. By U2 standards (which in the long run are very high), Vertigo is doing well.

EvolutionMonkey said:

Read my post about program directors and the curse that is the top 40 format.

Also remember that if the album sells 12-15 million worldwide and 4 or 5 of that comes from the states, that they are getting 30% of their sales from one country. We don't hate them that much. Calm down.

tkramer said:

Read my post about program directors and the curse that is the top 40 format.

Also remember that if the album sells 12-15 million worldwide and 4 or 5 of that comes from the states, that they are getting 30% of their sales from one country. We don't hate them that much. Calm down.

So do you think Elevation and Walk On not charting is a good thing ? I didn't say you hate them, i said your country likes alot of crap pop music and i'm just trying to figure out why. Even Bono said in the 80's about all the crap pop music dominating the airwaves.

EvolutionMonkey said:

So do you think Elevation and Walk On not charting is a good thing ? I didn't say you hate them, i said your country likes alot of crap pop music and i'm just trying to figure out why. Even Bono said in the 80's about all the crap pop music dominating the airwaves.

Exactly, there is a lot of crap pop music. So once again, why do you expect or care if Vertigo makes it to the top 10? Our tastes our shitty overall so good U2 songs don't make it that high. In the long run though, the U2 songs are the ones that are remembered and get repeat play.

EvolutionMonkey said:

...i said your country likes alot of crap pop music and i'm just trying to figure out why.

I told you. Corporate consolidation is the current issue for mainstream radio in the USA. You have one program director sitting in an office hundreds of miles from your city deciding what gets played. NPR (national public radio) had a wonderful piece on this very issue. They showed how radio has been consolidated, focus grouped, and second guessed to the brink of extinction. The average Joe isn't actually happy with music here. They showed how a few (Satellite radio will also help splinter listenship) stations have actually bucked the trend of corp. radio and added a bunch of songs to their playlist. They also *gasp* cut commercials some. The result is that the public listening to those stations stay tuned. They don't hear the same song thirty minutes later. They don't hear commercials 20 minutes of every hour. The biz model works because people will sit through commercials if they aren't jammed down their throat every two seconds.

Besides, remember the hot 100 isn't the be all end all list for music here. Check amazon.com. Check the other charts. Sheesh. Sorry I posted anything...

tkramer said:

Besides, remember the hot 100 isn't the be all end all list for music here. Check amazon.com. Check the other charts. Sheesh. Sorry I posted anything...

It's alright, most of us understand.

Back
Top Bottom