Vertigo jumps to #39!!! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2004, 07:45 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 08:23 AM
Vertigo jumps to #39!!!

Vertigo jumps into the top 40 this week, moving a healthy five spots. This is their first top 40 single since Beautiful Day.

Join us in peeling off those dollar bills for a more in depth discussion...

Old 10-21-2004, 07:59 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 01:23 PM
Wow! good news...the U2 machine is gathering momentum

Old 10-21-2004, 08:17 AM   #3
War Child

Is that the top 100 in the US? how does that chart work, is it just airplay? what the most played song over in the US anyways?
Old 10-21-2004, 08:22 AM   #4
War Child

This chart is for North America. It's MOSTLY based on airplay these days, but digital sales are going to change the model I think.

Here's the breakdown:

Hot 100: from #44 to #39

Digital chart: #4 again. but billboard indicates it as a stronger 4 than last week (this will be higher next week I think)

Modern Rock: #2 again, but billboard indicates it as a stronger 2 than last week

Adult top 40: from #19 to #18

Mainstream Rock: from #10 to #6
Old 10-21-2004, 09:29 AM   #5
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:23 AM
That's kind of sad actually when you realize the number in question is 39 and not something in the top 10. It just shows you how unpopular this song is since it came out, so i don't understand why you guys are so excited ? 39 is pretty pathetic. Here is a list of songs that are currently popular in the states:

Welcome to America people !

1 Maroon 5 SHE WILL BE LOVED
2 Avril Lavigne MY HAPPY ENDING
3 Ryan Cabrera ON THE WAY DOWN
4 Ciara Featuring Petey Pablo GOODIES
5 Ashlee Simpson PIECES OF ME
6 Black Eyed Peas LET'S GET IT STARTED
7 Kelly Clarkson BREAKAWAY
8 Destiny's Child LOSE MY BREATH
9 Lil" Flip featuring
Lea SUNSHINE
10 Finger Eleven ONE THING
11 JoJo LEAVE
12 Alicia Keys IF I AIN’T GOT YOU
13 Eminem JUST LOSE IT
14 Terror Squad
Featuring Fat Joe & Remy LEAN BACK
15 Bowling For Soup 1985
16 Seether (Featuring Amy Lee) BROKEN
17 Houston Featuring Chingy, I-20 & Nate Dogg I LIKE THAT
18 Usher featuring Alicia Keys MY BOO
19 Christina Milian featuring Fabolous DIP IT LOW
20 Switchfoot DARE YOU TO MOVE
21 Ashlee Simpson SHADOW
22 Linkin Park BREAKING THE HABIT
23 Nina Sky featuring
Jabba MOVE YA BODY
24 Kevin Lyttle TURN ME ON
25 Britney Spears MY PREROGATIVE
26 Nelly & Christina Aguilera TILT YA HEAD BACK
27 Nelly featuring Jaheim MY PLACE
28 Jojo featuring Bow Wow BABY IT'S YOU
29 Nitty NASTY GIRL
30 Juvenile SLOW MOTION
31 Vanessa Carlton WHITE HOUSES
32 Franz Ferdinand TAKE ME OUT
33 Simple Plan Welcome To My Life
34 The Killers SOMEBODY TOLD ME
35 Good Charlotte PREDICTABLE
36 Trick Daddy featuring Twista & Lil' Jon LET'S GO
37 Skye Sweetnam TANGLED UP IN ME
38 Akon featuring Styles P LOCKED UP
39 Nelly featuring Tim McGraw OVER AND OVER
40 Hilary Duff FLY
Old 10-21-2004, 09:32 AM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Look at that stuff and realize that's what gets most of the airplay these days. I think it's great that the boys are at least cracking the Top 40, which can't really be said for a lot of other bands that have been around as long as they have. What are the stats on the new REM disc?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:37 AM   #7
The Fly

Look at the groups U2 is in the company with on the Mainstream Chart:

http://www.billboard.com/bb/charts/a...mainstream.jsp

Bizarre
Old 10-21-2004, 09:40 AM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by EvolutionMonkey
That's kind of sad actually when you realize the number in question is 39 and not something in the top 10. It just shows you how unpopular this song is since it came out, so i don't understand why you guys are so excited ? 39 is pretty pathetic.
Not so fast, you have to take into consideration that the US Billboard Hot 100 is quite a slow chart. Songs often don't rush to the top, but climb slowly. Vertigo entered the charts 4 weeks ago and has now climbed to #39. In the top 40, there are only 4 songs higher than Vertigo that have been on the charts for 4 weeks or less. Including those, there are also only 15 songs above Vertigo that have been on the chart for 10 weeks or less. When you consider that you can see that Vertigo is doing quite alright and has a lot of potential to climb even higher. Now that it has entered the top 40 it will hopefully be played a lot more on the Top 40 stations.

C ya!

Marty
Old 10-21-2004, 09:51 AM   #9
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

Not so fast, you have to take into consideration that the US Billboard Hot 100 is quite a slow chart. Songs often don't rush to the top, but climb slowly. Vertigo entered the charts 4 weeks ago and has now climbed to #39. In the top 40, there are only 4 songs higher than Vertigo that have been on the charts for 4 weeks or less. Including those, there are also only 15 songs above Vertigo that have been on the chart for 10 weeks or less. When you consider that you can see that Vertigo is doing quite alright and has a lot of potential to climb even higher. Now that it has entered the top 40 it will hopefully be played a lot more on the Top 40 stations.

C ya!

Marty
But how high do you actually think it will go ? How high did Elevation, Beautiful Day and Stuck go ?

My point is the States is a market dominated with crap pop music and even with U2's big budget its going to be very difficult to crack the top 10 for the singles. The album will maybe be in the top 3 for 1 or 2 weeks but will slip because of artists like Destiny's Child, Eminem and a slew of others coming out. I'm not telling you anything you don't know of course but i personally think it's pretty sad that a band as great as U2 will be hard pressed to get any of their singles IN THE TOP 10 ! I'm not saying #1 or #2 but any where in the top 10 while one of those flash in the pans like Ashley Simpson WILL probably make it there. What is wrong with Americans that they have such an unhealthy fascination with crap music ?
Old 10-21-2004, 10:02 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Most Americans wouldn't know good music if it bit them in the ass....

I can't wait to move to the other side of the pond someday....
Old 10-21-2004, 10:04 AM   #11
War Child

People wake up.
This song is only 4 weeks old.
It takes weeks for top 40 stations here to even look at artists like U2 anymore. They quite literally will not play untested songs. They wait till they are popular on other formats. Unless you are D Child or M&M you won't get a free pass.

Now that it is in the 40 or above catagory, we will see if it takes off.
These numbers are actually quite encouraging.

(Don't forget Pride never made it above #33, and now you hear it all the time. Final chart position doesn't matter, it's how long you sit on that chart.)
Old 10-21-2004, 10:07 AM   #12
Refugee

Album sales are what count, and anyone will be hard pressed to match U2's coming area in that regard..
Old 10-21-2004, 10:10 AM   #13
War Child

Quote:

But how high do you actually think it will go ? How high did Elevation, Beautiful Day and Stuck go ?

My point is the States is a market dominated with crap pop music and even with U2's big budget its going to be very difficult to crack the top 10 for the singles. The album will maybe be in the top 3 for 1 or 2 weeks but will slip because of artists like Destiny's Child, Eminem and a slew of others coming out. I'm not telling you anything you don't know of course but i personally think it's pretty sad that a band as great as U2 will be hard pressed to get any of their singles IN THE TOP 10 ! I'm not saying #1 or #2 but any where in the top 10 while one of those flash in the pans like Ashley Simpson WILL probably make it there. What is wrong with Americans that they have such an unhealthy fascination with crap music ?
Guys, most songs aren't even chosen by the local public. It's a program director sitting at Clear Channel three states away that will determine what your local so-called "MIX" station will be playing. Corporate consolidation, not public taste, determines these "crap" songs you hate. Blame them, not your average american.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:12 AM   #14
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleep Over Jack
Album sales are what count, and anyone will be hard pressed to match U2's coming area in that regard..
Yes, in this respect, U2 is very strong in the States. ATYCLB sold 4 million in the USA, and that's nothing to sneeze at. Most acts will never sell this many here, and I think HTDAAB has a better than average shot at duplicating the same success.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:14 AM   #15
The Fly

Local Time: 09:23 AM
I would guess it will break the top ten, but not make #1.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:15 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 07:23 AM
Quote:

Beautiful Day - 21
Walk on - did not chart
Elevation - did not chart
Stuck in a Moment - 52

And for even further comparison, One only made it to #10 and that is considered one of the greatest songs of all time. Do not expect a top 10 song from U2 in the US. #39 at this point is actually very good.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:16 AM   #17
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by tkramer

Yes, in this respect, U2 is very strong in the States. ATYCLB sold 4 million in the USA, and that's nothing to sneeze at. Most acts will never sell this many here, and I think HTDAAB has a better than average shot at duplicating the same success.

and probably 10million+ worldwide too!
Old 10-21-2004, 10:17 AM   #18
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by tkramer
People wake up.
This song is only 4 weeks old.
It takes weeks for top 40 stations here to even look at artists like U2 anymore. They quite literally will not play untested songs. They wait till they are popular on other formats. Unless you are D Child or M&M you won't get a free pass.

Now that it is in the 40 or above catagory, we will see if it takes off.
These numbers are actually quite encouraging.

(Don't forget Pride never made it above #33, and now you hear it all the time. Final chart position doesn't matter, it's how long you sit on that chart.)
U2 was not that famous in America when Pride came out but they sure as hell are now and to say that Destiny's Child and Eminem are going to get a free pass but U2 won't get one is exactly what i'm talking about that U2 is not as popular in America as we all would like or think they are. Why is that ? Why does Emenem get a free pass but U2 doesn't ?

It's good to be optimistic and all but look at the cold hard facts of where the singles from the last album charted.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:17 AM   #19
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

Beautiful Day - 21
Walk on - did not chart
Elevation - did not chart
Stuck in a Moment - 52

And for even further comparison, One only made it to #10 and that is considered one of the greatest songs of all time. Do not expect a top 10 song from U2 in the US. #39 at this point is actually very good.

Discotheque got to no.10 right? If there is a new wave of U2 hype and amazing word of mouth about the album, I wouldn't count out a U2 top 10 from this album!
Old 10-21-2004, 10:19 AM   #20
Refugee

Quote:

U2 was not that famous in America when Pride came out but they sure as hell are now and to say that Destiny's Child and Eminem are going to get a free pass but U2 won't get one is exactly what i'm talking about that U2 is not as popular in America as we all would like or think they are. Why is that ? Why does Emenem get a free pass but U2 doesn't ?

It's good to be optimistic and all but look at the cold hard facts of where the singles from the last album charted, maybe somebody can post it.

Again, the last album did 4 million in the US, and about 11-12 million across the globe! that is what matters in terms of commercial success.

Simmer down