Vertigo jumps to #39!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ray Charles
Renee Olstead
U2
Brian Wilson
Green Day
Queen Latifah
R.E.M.
Tom Waits
Mark Knopfler
Norah Jones
etc...

These are all artists currently sitting in the top 25 on Amazon.com.
I randomly pulled them to prove a point and then I'll shut up: 90% of america doesn't listen to just the top hot 10 songs. We get tunes from all kinds of sources. We freakin' agree with you already monkey man.

:)

Oh, and don't forget Veritgo is #4 on the download charts here. (and has spent all of its time between 5 and 1.) That's the future. That's the singles that people are actually paying to hear.

I don't even understand thet point of this conversation. U2 could never make it onto the Top 100, and I'd be perfectly happy. U2 could end up only selling one copy of the new album, mine, and I'd be ecstatic. We're all U2 fans here, and WE get how awesome U2 are. Why do we care if the rest of the world is full of people who don't understand their music like we do? If 'One' or 'WTSHNN' didn't chart well, would it really matter to any of us? It wouldn't matter to me - I do not judge the quality of a song or a band based on where it makes it on the charts. Good chart position does not a classic song make.

Maybe it's after working for an alternative radio station for a year, where we were allowed to play whatever we wanted EXCEPT anything that was played on mainstream radio, but I do not care where a band gets on the mainstream charts. A number 1 album or single would be great, and I'd feel happy for U2, but I am looking forward to this album out of selfish reasons! I'm not thinking, "Gee, it's only a month until the album comes out, when everyone will finally get to hear it!" I'm thinking, "Gee, it's only a month until the album comes out, when <b>I</b> finally get to hear it!"

(Yes, I know that where an album charts is important, and it would determine if U2 were still around today, etc etc, but it's a moot point now because U2 is huge. Their album will sell well.)

-Mike

bsp77 said:

Exactly, there is a lot of crap pop music. So once again, why do you expect or care if Vertigo makes it to the top 10? Our tastes our shitty overall so good U2 songs don't make it that high. In the long run though, the U2 songs are the ones that are remembered and get repeat play.

in our defense, i'd like to point out that after living abroad for several years i've discovered that bad taste is a nearly universal phenomenon.

Miggy D said:
I don't even understand thet point of this conversation. U2 could never make it onto the Top 100, and I'd be perfectly happy. U2 could end up only selling one copy of the new album, mine, and I'd be ecstatic. We're all U2 fans here, and WE get how awesome U2 are. Why do we care if the rest of the world is full of people who don't understand their music like we do? If 'One' or 'WTSHNN' didn't chart well, would it really matter to any of us? It wouldn't matter to me - I do not judge the quality of a song or a band based on where it makes it on the charts. Good chart position does not a classic song make.

Mostly agree in a selfish sense, but it's a natural human reaction; when people hear something they love, they want to share it with others. U2's music inspires a lot of wonderful feelings in people around here, and they want to pass that on.

I look at it as a fundamentally decent reaction, even if I don't always share it in a very broad sense.

Irvine511 said:

in our defense, i'd like to point out that after living abroad for several years i've discovered that bad taste is a nearly universal phenomenon.

So why are you the only country who would vote for George Bush!

EvolutionMonkey: I;m sorry but I can't tell whether you are just tryint o make a point that Americans have no taste in music or that you are just being a toalt d******d. What is the point in comingt oa forum to be pessimistic or negative about U2 and their new record and where it will chart, when the song hasn't even been released yet!

I could give a flying s*** where they chart, we all know the US is a place for Hip Hip, RnB, Pop and NuMetal/Punk Rock on the whole. Bands like U2, REM, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith for example will come back with albums and singles ever so often and will look to their album sales and tour sales as a sign of how well they have done. Do you really think U2 were that disappointed when ATYCLB went to No 1 in 32 countries, more than any of their pervious records? That is has sold nearly as much worldwide as AB if not more?

I know you are trying to be realistic but there is a way of saying it or going about it. I am fed up with the pessimistic and negative crap on here. They haven't even released the record yet and people in these forums are criticising the songs, the album itself, the title, how well single is doing, what si the rubbish.

What I am saying is WAIT until Vertigo is released, then WAIT until the Album is released and the following singles, see how the tour sells out and in a year's time, come back to this forum with all the stats for album and single sales and chart positions, tour profits and sales figures and then you can make a resoned argument.

At the moment you are just talking out of your a***.

Let's also keep in mind that the song will probably make a large jump on the charts after the music video comes out and gets rotation on MTV and VH1.

Exactly, hitting #39 on the American charts with NO MTV or Vh1 airplay is astonishing for a band as old as U2.

Put it into persepctive for goodness sakes. The the largest segement of the music buying population in America is teens and into early 20 somethings.
The fact that the 40 year olds in U2 have ALREADY hit the the top 40 chart in America, before the video has even PREMIERED is amazing.

And who cares really? It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that most kids like crappy music. The fact that U2 can even compete with them, modestly is a great testament to their appeal.

We would have things to worry about if the song was #1 in America, trust me. It would need a guest appearance by Nelly or Lil' john.

stop this crap about Bush or bad taste in US....

In UK every 'Teen Idol' with a cover of Unfinished Simpathy will go staight to No.1. on the singles chart (well any singer that covers that song will go straight to No.1.)...

In Germany DJ Bobo or Scooter are big superstar (well DJ Bobo s a hasbeen - but he was BIG)...

Than - Kelly Family was totaly big in Europe...

and in my Croatia there is some serious shit on the airwaves (but at least U2, REM and such bands are still the only real superstars)...

so - stupidity is universal, mainstreet always sucks, and in every country the TOP 25 singles are made up of the same stuff and only two or three songs on there are any good....

and politics - BUsh, i don't like him but who am I as a forigner to preach to americans who they should elect-... stupid stupid stupid

Marko said:
stop this crap about Bush or bad taste in US....

In UK every 'Teen Idol' with a cover of Unfinished Simpathy will go staight to No.1. on the singles chart (well any singer that covers that song will go straight to No.1.)...

In Germany DJ Bobo or Scooter are big superstar (well DJ Bobo s a hasbeen - but he was BIG)...

Than - Kelly Family was totaly big in Europe...

and in my Croatia there is some serious shit on the airwaves (but at least U2, REM and such bands are still the only real superstars)...

so - stupidity is universal, mainstreet always sucks, and in every country the TOP 25 singles are made up of the same stuff and only two or three songs on there are any good....

and politics - BUsh, i don't like him but who am I as a forigner to preach to americans who they should elect-... stupid stupid stupid

Don't forget David Hasslehoff is popular in Germany. :scream:

bsp77 said:

Don't forget David Hasslehoff is popular in Germany. :scream:

:) my god, how did I forget him....

but on the happier note - Vertigo is No.2 on our most popular radio station...

and our top 20 is:

TWENTY YEARS
Placebo Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 0
VERTIGO
U2 Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 7
RADIO
Robbie Williams Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 3
NOSTALGIČNA
The Beat Fleet Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 4
SVE JE OK
Ramirez Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 0
LEAVING NEW YORK
R.e.m. Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 10
CALL ON ME
Eric Prydz Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 0
WHAT YOU WAITING FOR?
Gwen Stefani Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 13
YOU HAD ME
Joss Stone Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 6
WALK ON BY
Seal Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 9
MILLIONAIRE
Kelis feat. Andre 3000 Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 0
OPEN ARMS
Tina Turner Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 5
JUST LOSE IT
Eminem Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 1
I'D RATHER DANCE WITH YOU
Kings Of Convenience Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 0
OLD HABITS DIE HARD
Mick Jagger & Dave Stewart Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 18
THE LOVE OF RICHARD NIXON
Manic Street Preachers Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 19
DRUKČIJA (Underground Sky mix)
Putokazi Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 0
WHATEVER HAPPENES TO COREY HAIM?
The Thrills Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 0
AMERICAN IDIOT
Green Day Prošli tjedan mjesto br. 0
ROUND HERE
George Michael

not spectacular, but there are 5 or 6 ok tunes on there :)

Miggy D said:
Let's also keep in mind that the song will probably make a large jump on the charts after the music video comes out and gets rotation on MTV and VH1.

I dunno. I'd like to think so, but I don't think that the people who stay up to 3am, when they actually play videos, constitute much of a market.

I figure my best chance of seeing the video, other than the "Making of" show, is during Classic/Current on VH1 Classic.

Ok correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure you will... In 00/01, U2 won 7 Grammys. I know they were nominated for 8 in 01. But they won for Beautiful Day before the '01 grammys. Was this because they were number on on the charts. I don't think so.

ATYCLB was U2's effort to remain relevant. This is why so many feel it was not their best album. In my opinion, it's excellent marketing and staying in the mainstream as much as U2 want's too. They will only give in so much..
With the rotation of iPod commercial's - matter of fact - when I bought a magazine today, the young sales clerk said who's that?
and I started counting... she knew immediately.. and said "yeah I've seen that commercial.. that's them"? so there you have it.
May not know the face, but they know the music. The video is going to make a difference.
Even if it doesn't matter to me where they are in the countdown. :rolleyes:

Grammys are crap... Like Oscars, they've lost their credibility a long time ago.

Thanksandy said:
EvolutionMonkey: I;m sorry but I can't tell whether you are just tryint o make a point that Americans have no taste in music or that you are just being a toalt d******d. What is the point in comingt oa forum to be pessimistic or negative about U2 and their new record and where it will chart, when the song hasn't even been released yet!

I could give a flying s*** where they chart, we all know the US is a place for Hip Hip, RnB, Pop and NuMetal/Punk Rock on the whole. Bands like U2, REM, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith for example will come back with albums and singles ever so often and will look to their album sales and tour sales as a sign of how well they have done. Do you really think U2 were that disappointed when ATYCLB went to No 1 in 32 countries, more than any of their pervious records? That is has sold nearly as much worldwide as AB if not more?

I know you are trying to be realistic but there is a way of saying it or going about it. I am fed up with the pessimistic and negative crap on here. They haven't even released the record yet and people in these forums are criticising the songs, the album itself, the title, how well single is doing, what si the rubbish.

What I am saying is WAIT until Vertigo is released, then WAIT until the Album is released and the following singles, see how the tour sells out and in a year's time, come back to this forum with all the stats for album and single sales and chart positions, tour profits and sales figures and then you can make a resoned argument.

At the moment you are just talking out of your a***.

I don't usually swear but since you have in your post then i'm gonna join your club. I don't give a flying f*** what you think Thanksandy, i DO CARE ABOUT WHERE THEY CHART (hell there's even a forum here at Interference for all things $$$ but i didn't start this thread) and so many others also care about charts so you can shove it if you don't care what I think or if it doesn't pass your 'negativity or pessemistic test' or should we call it your 'Thin Skin Test", ;) this is a discussion board about U2 not a freakin CHEERLEADING SQUAD by people like you and so many others here who get pissed at ANY questioning of the band or songs. The funny thing is even U2 don't like all the songs and things they've done yet if someone voices they don't like a song or God forbid an album then they get tore down to pieces by people like you or said things like "YOUR TALKING OUT OF YOUR ASS" . Let me repeat this for you Thanksandy, EVEN U2 DOESN'T LIKE EVERY SONG THEY HAVE DONE, SO WHY DO YOU AND OTHERS GET ALL PISSED OFF WHEN OTHER FANS QUESTION SOMETHING ABOUT THIS BAND ??? Please answer this one question because it's something i just don't understand especially lately with lots of newbies and people like you with a whopping 10 posts.

I didn't attack anybody in this thread i was questioning why so many Americans are obsessed with crap like Ashely Simpson who has 2 songs in the top 40 and yet U2 can barely crack it but people jump for joy when U2 get to #39. Why is this wrong to ask or question ??? Should i wait 2 years or how about 10 years what would make you feel better to ask this question or pass your negativty test ??? You do realize it's been on the radio for awhile now right ?, ok then why don't you tell me why Elevation and Walk On didn't crack the top 40 and if you think that's no big deal then that's great but i bet you that U2 DO CARE ABOUT CHART POSITION which is why they have representatives meeting with radio stations throughout the states. Let me repeat to everyone here, if U2 didn't care about charts they wouldn't have representatives meeting with radio station PD's and DJ's. Maybe in your fantasy land you think U2 doesn't care about charts but i bet at least Bono, Edge and Larry do. Now if you and whoever else DON'T CARE how they do on the charts then guess what GOOD FOR YOU, BUT SOME PEOPLE DO CARE SO STOP RIPPING ON THEM, some people do care about charts (..umm like U2) so you don't have to attack people for having a different view of the band or music then you.

So let me get this straight, everything that we say around here must pass the Thanksandy (and others) negativity and pessimism test because having a viewpoint or asking questions that don't fit your viewpoint or go against your blessed view of U2 are not worthy ? Are you the head of the U2 chearleading squad ?

The funny thing is some of you think i was attacking tkramer but i wasn't, i was attacking why so many Americans are obsessed with shxt music which seems to be even more than other countries, yet you guys turn around and attack me, what a joke. I think after 9-11 your thinking in your country has gone to shxt and if anybody outside of America says anything bad about your country (even music choices) then you guys get all pissed off. Once again enough of the CHEERLEADING of all things U2 around here. :mad:

How did this thread get so screwy?

Everyone calm down and return to the topic.

This is a board of U2 fans. We pick apart everything this band does because that's what you come to interference to do. It's your right to nervously watch chart positions and your right to think it means nothing.

But don't insult each other. That's not what this board is about.
I've always felt if we ever met each other we'd all get along pretty well. Sometimes faceless words and emails make us a little bold when holding our toungues might have been the kind thing to do. So I'm going to ignore a few of the previous posts and get back to the topic. (The topic BTW, was how well this vertigo tune is doing. Believe it or not.)

And share a bottle of red and some sinatra.

Sleep Over Jack said:

Discotheque got to no.10 right? If there is a new wave of U2 hype and amazing word of mouth about the album, I wouldn't count out a U2 top 10 from this album!

I'm not sure if anyone has answered this on the thread because I haven't read it all (mainly because it became so vicious), but when Discotheque was on the charts, a song had to be released as a CD single to chart. It had already had considerable airplay before the CD was released.

I'm sure the Peeling ... Dollar Bills experts can provide some more knowledge than I can (if they haven't already).

tKramer--

that's quite a big change from JT selling 10 mill out of its 21 mill copies worldwide in the STates.

Teta040 said:
tKramer--

that's quite a big change from JT selling 10 mill out of its 21 mill copies worldwide in the STates.

Certainly but diamond albums (10 million in USA) are rare and nearly impossible. There have only been a few of these and U2 was lucky to get one. I'd rather look at their popularity (from an album sales point) based on their entire catalog in north america. ATYCLB showed a 20 year old band selling 4 million copies. Thats better than half of their back catalog here. Pretty impressive if you ask me. If you are speaking from a % standpoint, I can't tell from your post, yes it was more fifty-fifty. But you can't expect the usa to sustain a fifty fifty for every album. The ten million figure quite literally means one in every twenty-five americans (at the time) bought it. That's crazy high.

Last edited:
Axver said:

I'm not sure if anyone has answered this on the thread because I haven't read it all (mainly because it became so vicious), but when Discotheque was on the charts, a song had to be released as a CD single to chart. It had already had considerable airplay before the CD was released.

I'm sure the Peeling ... Dollar Bills experts can provide some more knowledge than I can (if they haven't already).

It entered the charts at 10. The charts these days are mostly determined by radio play. Digital downloads will change this soon though...

EvolutionMonkey said:
That's kind of sad actually when you realize the number in question is 39 and not something in the top 10. It just shows you how unpopular this song is since it came out, so i don't understand why you guys are so excited ? 39 is pretty pathetic. :( Here is a list of songs that are currently popular in the states:

Welcome to America people ! :(

i think you've missed the point...charts don't work in the USA like other places...also the US market is HUGE....this is good news for U2

Back
Top Bottom