Vertigo in the context of the album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaxx

The Fly
So, now that we've heard the entire album, starting with Vertigo (I hope you didn't skip it) and ending with Yahweh, how do you feel it fits with the rest of the material?

As was expected, it's not totaly representive of the sound of the rest of the album, but I think it works even better as an opener for it than as a stand-alone song. Vertigo is raw, energetic and loud, it's a wake-up call. It's U2 saying "we're back, we're still relevant, we're still trying to make sense of this crazy world we're spinning around in, and now that we have your full attention we're gonna hit you with the heavy stuff".

What do you guys think?

I agree, Bono wasn't kidding when he said the rest of the album went in a new direction.

Vertigo is the perfect start for the album. I guess All Because of You could be an opener too, but Vertigo is, as you said, fitting perfectly, lyrics-wise also.

Guys is the album version of Vertigo any different from the radio edit? Mine is exactly the same, wasn't there meant to be an extra layer of guitars in there?

I think Vertigo definetly fits. The central character is forced to deal with all of his doubts and Vertigo is where all he has been trying to supress explodes onto his conscoiusness. The rest of the album is an exploration of these feelings, while Vertigo is the big confrontation.

Back
Top Bottom