Vertigo Chicago vs Vertigo Milan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Galeongirl said:

it would be Hamish sucks, since there does NOT exist such thing as best fans....
can we please quit this argument people?

Corianderstem, most EU stadiums have a roof, but it can be taken 'off'... I know the dutch stadium has a glass roof... but I don't think Milan had more of a roof than shown in the first seconds of the film...

It's Hamish sucks - right, but that most European Stadiums have a roof that can be full closed is not true. There are some not many -

- you are right: Milan you can definitly not close completly -
http://www.sansiro.net/

Lot of stupid answers i can read in this post.

People are discussing here and they dont know in fact what are they talking about.

First, Milano DVD, even only 10 songs on it, is well ahead comparing to boring Chicago DVD (lot of reasons why is boring - US crowd, Hamish directing, band looks unchallenged to play because of bad crowd response).

Second, power outage happend first day in Milan but only film crew suffer of it, so what we have on dvd are songs from second day.
And there was no fucking rain at all, because I WAS THERE!!!

And last but not least, u may say whatever u want, you who dislike Milan dvd, but Bono voice was perfect on that part of european leg, listening now bootlegs from melbourne, where his voice is also perfect, but have to say that pavarotti line in Miss Sarajevo was much better in Milan...

So that is...

enjoy

Galeongirl said:

it would be Hamish sucks, since there does NOT exist such thing as best fans....
can we please quit this argument people?

Corianderstem, most EU stadiums have a roof, but it can be taken 'off'... I know the dutch stadium has a glass roof... but I don't think Milan had more of a roof than shown in the first seconds of the film...

The best fans part was a joke, honestly. For me it's just that Joanou>Mallet>>Hamish, and there's the reason why the older dvd's are better.

And I like Slane...imagine what a better director could have done with it.

U2girl said:

(that said, they're almost always a bit tight on official DVDs; compare those shows to bootlegs of shows they play right after the shoot)

Very very good point. For all the abuse Boston takes around here, I know quite a few people who were at the 3rd & 4th Boston Elevation gigs, and said they were awesome shows.

I do think they tend to be tight...which would make sense, when you consider how they insist on the editing of all the live releases. I get the sense they're perfectionists when it comes to music, or at least releasing music.

I'm curious... how much influence does the director of a concert DVD have over the performance of the band? Surely U2 play for a filmed concert the same way they would for a non-filmed one... or am I being horribly naive?
Or is this about how the film was cut and edited? Is that the director's fault, then, or the editor's? And if U2 edits their own DVDs.... :shrug:

CTU2fan said:

Joanou>Mallet>>Hamish, and there's the reason why the older dvd's are better.

And I like Slane...imagine what a better director could have done with it.

:up:

exactly.
Hamish - that's clear. But I'm also not such a big fan of Mallet and I always wondered how beautiful a ZOOTV DVD must have been if Joneau would have directed it. I just hate the Video-Material on ZOOTV. That's so beautiful about Rattle and Hum: 35 Film- Material and every piture looks like I could put it on the wall as a poster.

I think really most people will understand the Hamilton critics when next year the Pellinton-Film comes out - then you can really compare to Milan. I think this will open some eyes.

Alisaura said:
I'm curious... how much influence does the director of a concert DVD have over the performance of the band? Surely U2 play for a filmed concert the same way they would for a non-filmed one... or am I being horribly naive?
Or is this about how the film was cut and edited? Is that the director's fault, then, or the editor's? And if U2 edits their own DVDs.... :shrug:

The cutting/editing is the director, but I think U2 play a little bit "tight" when they know they're filming a DVD. I enjoy Zoo Sydney & Popmart Mexico but I feel like even in those DVD's the band's performance isn't top-notch.

Not sure how Rattle & Hum avoided this, maybe because they pretty much shot the whole 3rd leg and the band just got used to the cameras?

perrypickwick said:

:up:

exactly.
Hamish - that's clear. But I'm also not such a big fan of Mallet and I always wondered how beautiful a ZOOTV DVD must have been if Joneau would have directed it. I just hate the Video-Material on ZOOTV. That's so beautiful about Rattle and Hum: 35 Film- Material and every piture looks like I could put it on the wall as a poster.

I think really most people will understand the Hamilton critics when next year the Pellinton-Film comes out - then you can really compare to Milan. I think this will open some eyes.

One of the things I love the most about Mallet is the respect he gives to the moment of music , like if Someone is soloin then the camera goes to him PERIOD And the special effects he put like in Sydney :

Camera going B/W on 2 Edge Solos
Keeping the footage of the 2 cams on Edge during Bullet :drool:

I mean Just look at what Hamish did in Boston , Edge is doin Bullet solo , and the bloody Cam goes to Bono's shoes ? How retarded is that ?

Funny that looks like Hamish was copyin Mallet in Chicago , who knows after all the critics .......... :wink: I mean look at these traditional Mallet angles in Chicago :

-The way the angle of the cam is on Adam in the intro of NYD
-The Behind View , like during the end of One
- The bullet solo itself

dazzlingamy said:
:up: I'm putting in for the IMAX vote. ITs going to be SMOKIN!!!

Since I seem to be oblivious to the effect different directors have on U2 concert videos, I'm just looking forward to seeing U2 on a frickin huge screen with surround sound... Especially if some Melbourne footage gets in there. :)
It won't be the same as seeing them live but it'll be fun :D

I have just finished with Milan Dvd. :yes:

And its :drool: :drool: :drool:

Everything is fine, even Hamish directing is not so bad.

Lot of new different viewing angles, crowd is fantastic and boys really enjoyed playing. Thats it.
Im only sad because we havent got whole concert. :sad:

Ciao Milano.:love: :love: :wave: :wave:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom