Vertigo Chicago vs Vertigo Milan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's not as good as i thought it would be. all videos are up on youtube now. only oots and miss sarajevo are good excuses for buying the dvd, imo.

Chicago was an absolute let-down. Seeing U2 live then getting that on DVD was so lame it's unbelievable, the American 1st Leg shows were just bland. Milan hands down.

I see people talk a lot bad here bout Chicago , but I have to say , well it's still in my eyes way better than boston , though it's the same crappy director , at least they didn't cut 3 fucking songs

U2Man said:
it's not as good as i thought it would be. all videos are up on youtube now. only oots and miss sarajevo are good excuses for buying the dvd, imo.

Did you HEAR in a good source bootleg thing or like : Vertigo, I will follow , AIWIY-COBL , it's pretty damn good mate

Hell even I hard to be pleased by I will follow , was blown out by Milan's vers

I love both actually, I think there are some extraordinary beautiful moments in each. When I think Chicago, I think beautifully shot footage, a totally from the heart performance of Original of the Species and that absolutely nailed version of The Electric Co.

I wasn't expecting to be quite so blown away by the Milan DVD for some reason. I thought it might be difficult to capture on film how intimate U2 managed to make those outdoor shows feel in places but how wrong could I be!

I thought just like Chicago, it was beautifully shot and edited. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, All I Want Is You, Miss Sarajevo and With Or Without You are sublime moments in the film for me. The only real criticism of the Milan DVD is that Original of the Species seems a bit rehearsed and polished and loses some of its charm that earlier performances on the tour had but is still very enjoyable nonetheless. From start to finish I was mesmerised.

I think that we can campare them only if we had a complete Milan
On the Milan concert, where I was, U2 played an incredible Eletric Co., an incredible BD....a really energy Lapoe/Sbs/Bullet and really strong zootv moment......I hope that in a day to come we can have the complete concert (maybe for u2.com members or sharing it like a torrent......dont know)

anyway also with only 10 songs I think that Milan is better than chicago
the odience........the performance.........

the only thing I dislike of Milan is the Hamilton director.....too much confusing

J_NP said:

Did you HEAR in a good source bootleg thing or like : Vertigo, I will follow , AIWIY-COBL , it's pretty damn good mate

Hell even I hard to be pleased by I will follow , was blown out by Milan's vers

Chixago IV is the best bootleg of the tour so far, imo, actually. a bootleg can easily sound good. doesn't mean that the dvd will turn out well. depends on the editing and mixing. in this case, i don't get all the hype about i will follow from milan, for instance. the daylight shots don't work for me.

Having seen the 10 songs on Youtube, there are things I enjoy about both of those DVDs. I think it would be only fair to compare if we had the full Milan show. (why oh why didn't they do it?)

Highlights are I still haven't found... (well shot, "I don't know what I'm talking about"), Elevation ("stasera facciamo amore") and I will follow for the crazy audience and WOWY which is better than Boston or Slane. Also nice dance on AIWY and of course MS is a bonus. I prefer Chicago OOTS to Milan.

Overall, I'd still say Slane is better in terms of emotion. Can't beat playing at home.

Last edited:
Mirrorballman83 said:
I think that we can campare them only if we had a complete Milan
On the Milan concert, where I was, U2 played an incredible Eletric Co., an incredible BD....a really energy Lapoe/Sbs/Bullet and really strong zootv moment......I hope that in a day to come we can have the complete concert (maybe for u2.com members or sharing it like a torrent......dont know)

anyway also with only 10 songs I think that Milan is better than chicago
the odience........the performance.........

the only thing I dislike of Milan is the Hamilton director.....too much confusing
I really love the directing on the Milan DVD, great work by Hamish. Far better than Chicago or even Boston. It's good at the slow songs with not too many different shots and it's energetic with the fast songs like IWF, Vertigo and the end of Elevation.

Milan's WOWY is the best I've seen in a long time...

just because of the finale... when Bono shouts OOOOOOOOOH.. then the crowd, and then he just stays there, and the crowd finishes the song...

THAT'S the way to go

goosebumps I tell you, goosebumps :combust:

chicago is not bad, but there's just nothign special, nothing rivetting and moving about it when i watched it. I guess it doesnt' really stand out to me the way watching 30 seconds of "I still haven't found what I'm Looking for" from milan totally gave me the chills (the good kind) and sent goosebumps down my spine (the good kind of goosebumps). I was so moved by the audience singing back every single word. You can tell the boys of U2 are standing there looking back with appreciation and awe. I mean, how awesome must that be to go to a foreign country where enlgish is not the primary language, and still have every single member of the audience know every single lyric of your songs and sing them back to you? It must be a wonderful feeling. For sure it's a testimony to how U2's music knows no boundaries, and it will move everything and anything with a beating heart <3

partygirlvox said:

:up:

Although thats only because it reminds me so much of my buffalo concert. (the lights and the staging etc is similair.. buffalo was a much better concert than chicago :wink: )

Yeah, the Philly show I went to was similar, yet owned Chicago. :lol:

I haven't seen Milan yet, so I shouldn't vote. :slant:

I just finished watching the Milan DVD tonight and it was awesome.

I have to say that I also enjoyed the Chicago DVD but for different reasons. Everyone else has commented pretty thoroughly on the songs already, so I'm going to focus more on two major points that struck me in particular:

First, I have to think there's a significant cultural factor involved in the level of passion and exuberance displayed by those raised in the Mediterranean as opposed to the thousands of Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana and downstate Illinois fans who traveled to Chicago for the earlier show.

I'm included in that demographic, and I'm the first to admit that for many Midwesterners, the individual excitement level could be equally as high but perhaps less passionately displayed and thus not as camera-friendly. Of course I'm not foolish enough to paint everyone with that same brush but the sociology geek in me is still convinced it plays a role.

But more importantly for me, the difference in this DVD compared to most of the other commercially released concerts is that Bono's warmth, humor, and true gift for connecting with an audience was showcased here extremely well. And that's probably the biggest reason I will be watching this one quite often.

How can you go past Milan.

Best version of All I want is You - better then Slane.

When was the last time a braless, baggy jeans around her kness European got to dance with Bono?

I reckon Bono was spinning her around just to see if the pants went all the way down.

Check out the security guy who got her up on stage - even he looked like he enjoyed himself :drool:

Sersiously - didn't you find that footage all a little bit bizare?

H.H. - don't like him. Some of his footage from Milan looked like it came striaght from MTV. E.g. floating balloon and the superimposing of Bono on the video screen.

Muscially though - Milan is tops. How good was Miss Sarjevo; NEARLY as good as the version we heard here in Australia!

J_NP said:
Am I the only one here who likes Chicago ?? :scratch:

I mean , the Milan audience is way much better , but .........

In Chicago :

COBL is perfect ; Elevation though Bono's vocals sounds great ; Electric Co needless to say ; The Whole Boy Trio is great ; B Day is much better than Elevation versions ; RTSS sounds great ; So does Streets ; And also very worth mention : The Fly , ABOY , and the amazing improvised OoTS , without forgetting Yahweh-40

Can someone explain me where the band , Edge whatever sounds so bad ??? :shrug:

Well... it's not the band so much as Bono's voice and the general tenor of his performance. He seems awkward and uncomfortable. Every single song on Chicago sounds better on every bootleg I've heard of other Vertigo shows. It isn't that Bono's voice is hoarse, which is fine, but that it's weak. There are band problems - Edge's solo on MW comes to mind - but they really don't bother me too much. It's just that on the Vertigo Tour the boys have been so much better than this. Worst U2 DVD ever, yes. But if you love it, awesome - glad that it has its fans :)

Ok I loved what of Milan we got, but some of the comments here are a bit off base (for me anyway) AIWY better than on Slane?? Not possible. WOWY from the way it was talked up disappointed me, don't get me wrong, it was awesome but hardly the best it's been. On OOTS Bono sounds better than ever, and I liked the full out string section, but like someone said earlier, even with weaker vocals, OOTS on Chicago had so much more emotion in it. There are pros and cons to both, but man do I wish they put the whole thing out, it just reminded me even more of wishing this when they left the clip of Bono saying they were making a DVD to the crowd.

I don't see why they passed up the chance to make all that money off of a full Milan DVD, although this tactic definitely increased the sales of U218 among the hardcore fans that wouldn't have bought it otherwise...that's probably the reason.

gonad said:
How can you go past Milan.

Best version of All I want is You - better then Slane.

When was the last time a braless, baggy jeans around her kness European got to dance with Bono?

I reckon Bono was spinning her around just to see if the pants went all the way down.

Check out the security guy who got her up on stage - even he looked like he enjoyed himself :drool:

Sersiously - didn't you find that footage all a little bit bizare?

Yeah...at first I thought she had some weird pants on...like jeans with black fabric at the tops...and then they kept slipping down...and you start seeing ass....and notice they went to great lengths to edit it so you don't see that much...but it really did seem kind of weird....out of place or something. I dunno...

As for all the Chicago talk....I was at all but one of the shows...the first...and I don't think it helped any when one of the crew came out and told the audience to be loud because they were being filmed before the show started. You could almost feel the place tense up...and then the band had problems and some of the lights and screens weren't working...on any of the nights if I remember correctly. And of course, the best crowd and best show was the one they didn't film.....

But I agree with the Chicago DVD not being all that good...

j

I only got my U2:18 combo yesterday and haven't watched Milan yet, but I can't wait to see it. I am only a little sad that it's "only" 10 songs and not the whole show. I also like Chicago, there are good moments and some that are not so good. But I think it's hard to capture the most outstanding show on video, it will always be the show that is not filmed. After all I have heard about the Australian leg of the tour, these concerts should be interesting to watch.

bgmckinney said:

I agree. I will never ceased to be amazed by what they caught for Rattle & Hum.

that`s right - some moments in Rattle and Hum are a completly other league than Milan, Chicago, Boston - and even Slane. My opinion.

There are some shots in Rattle and Hum they are so great that this is still the greatest Music - Film for me of all time!

Pride and Bad - close to perfection. And also SBS, WOWY, Bullet and WOWY - just more than beautiful -

The main difference for me is some Songs in Rattle and Hum I can watch over and over - but I cannot do that with Hamilton-DVDs.

perrypickwick said:

that`s right - some moments in Rattle and Hum are a completly other league than Milan, Chicago, Boston - and even Slane. My opinion.

There are some shots in Rattle and Hum they are so great that this is still the greatest Music - Film for me of all time!

My film professor is fond of showing Rattle and Hum in his lectures.

The thing I regret the most of Chicago , is that the Audience is sometimes really a joke , like In Edge's solo in Eletric Co , that moment is fucking awesome , Edge is literally on hell , but the audience don't go crazy with him ..... And they don't are necessarily very excited

Still I say again , of Course Slane is amazinh the energy but for instance , take One , in Slane it just didn't sound good , on Chicago may not be the best version , but is much better , U can actually hear Edge's rhythm beating

Yeah in the end it's all about taste , but like I said a dvd with more than 20 songs , moments like Eletric Co , OOTS , Fly And COBL , and say it's u2's worst dvd , that's pure bullshit ........ Sounds like Bomb haters goin against Vetigo tour as welll

Back
Top Bottom