Vertigo and Enter Sandman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Layton

War Child
Am the only one who sees symmetry between these two songs?

They're both songs that take the power of two great Rock bands and force that power into a conventional pop/rock songwriting formula. They're both driven by monstrous riffs and catchy as anything a pop artist would do.

Personally, I think Vertigo is much better because Bono's vocals are superior to Hetfields' 'Sandman' vocals and because Vertigo has some 'groove' and 'swing' to it, whereas 'Sandman's' rhythm is just straightforward hammering.

Layton said:

They're both songs that take the power of two great Rock bands and force that power into a conventional pop/rock songwriting formula. They're both driven by monstrous riffs and catchy as anything a pop artist would do.

Personally, I think Vertigo is much better because Bono's vocals are superior to Hetfields' 'Sandman' vocals and because Vertigo has some 'groove' and 'swing' to it, whereas 'Sandman's' rhythm is just straightforward hammering.

im sorry but Enter Sandman is better than Vertigo. Better intro, better riff but not better singing of course.

They're both visceral riff-fests.

Sandman's ultimate downfall is the spoken word bit in the bridge: "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep..."

It's brutally bad and nearly ruins the song. Maybe if Vincent Price did it?

No, it would still suck.

If I'd been in Metallica whilst record that track, I'd have done everything in my power to prevent the recording of that vocal bit.

Shooting guns, throwing feces, spitting, cursing.

Anything to prevent that vocal bit.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Vertigo and Enter Sandman

Celticfc said:

im sorry but Enter Sandman is better than Vertigo. Better intro, better riff but not better singing of course.

:up: :up: :up:
and I wouldn't call vertigo's riff "monstrous" (imo)

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

Sandman's ultimate downfall is the spoken word bit in the bridge: "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep..."

No, it would still suck.

If I'd been in Metallica whilst record that track, I'd have done everything in my power to prevent the recording of that vocal bit.

Shooting guns, throwing feces, spitting, cursing.

Anything to prevent that vocal bit.

nah, then it would be too michael jacksoney

Celticfc said:

Obviously, you're not a very groovy guy. Let yourself swing to the music, dude----lol.

MrBrau1 said:

What's even worse is that is they allowed Hetfield to pull out that goofy 'Halloween'eske nightmare' spoken word crap a few more times on subsequent albums. I can't say that it ruins 'Sandman' for me, but it definatley ruined a few of their other '90's songs for me.

Well, I was hearing a live performance of HTKK and the Drums sounded very metal like, the guitar Heavy overdriven and Bono screaming at the beginning of the song pretty much like Hetfield does on his songs.

Layton said:

You try that straightforward hammering. Its more difficult to do then most people think. Hetfield is not a rhythm guitar god for nothing, he can also sing while doing it. While Enter Sandman is a pretty easy Metallica song, try singing and playing Master of Puppets. I tried for years and still can´t play it right.

Muad'zin said:

You try that straightforward hammering. Its more difficult to do then most people think. Hetfield is not a rhythm guitar god for nothing, he can also sing while doing it. While Enter Sandman is a pretty easy Metallica song, try singing and playing Master of Puppets. I tried for years and still can´t play it right.

Blah!! I'm not going down the 'what's harder to play' path with this. That stuff is irrelevant to me. Creation is the ultimate difficulty. Who cares if someone hears a song by someone and thinks how easy it is to play it. I'd like to hear that person create it in the first place, then I'll be impressed.

U2 are first and foremost about creation. With regard to the hammering rhythm of 'Sandman', I just find it lacking in 'groove'. Vertigo and for that matter most of U2's songs are exceptional in creating a little wiggle in their driving patterns. I find that to be a more intense experience than 'Sandman's' straightforward hammering.

Vertigo also contains a stupid spoken word section.

They are both overrated songs in my opinion. Master of Puppets...now that's a bangin' Metallica song! And Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me might be U2's best throwaway hard rock excursion, followed closely by Holy Joe and Big Girls Are Best.

Back
Top Bottom