Vertigo (again and again and again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meghan

Refugee
First, there was this news on atu2.com

NEW @U2 TWO FROM U2 AT GRAMMYS?
January 26, 2006
posted by: m2
Via our friends at U2tour.de: A Universal Music staffer says U2 will perform two songs at the Grammy Awards: "Vertigo", and then "One" as a duet with Mary J. Blige. A recent Billboard article mentioned "One," but left out a U2-only performance of "Vertigo."

And then I go onto my RANDOM ipod party shuffle, and I get this:

eternalv.jpg

I smell conspiracy. :shifty:

shart1780 said:
Mary J. Blige :madspit:

Somehow, I actually enjoyed her duet with the boys.

Like someone else had said, the song had grown stale in this tour - just luck at the emotionless delivery in the Chicago DVD - and she came in and injected some freshness into it.

If only they would alternate the third verse so they could both sing it it would just right.

Ugh, I hate other people singing One. It's all wrong, wrong, wrong!

I won't get to see the Grammys anyway so no worries.

they have to play one because theyre doing the duet with MJ Blige and she has one on her new album.

that said i'd rather have them play something else, but if theyre going to place twice then it's no big deal for me.

Last edited:
chickadee said:
Ugh, I hate other people singing One. It's all wrong, wrong, wrong!

agreed. I really didn't dig MJB's version of the song, sorry. But I guess if it gives U2 more stage time...you know, maybe some people will consider U2 who normally wouldn't. It could expand their fanbase? :shrug:

Meghan...do you have any other songs in your iTunes? :wink:

I think Mary J sort of saved this song for me. It went all global message when it was so personal. She brought it back to that personal level. Especially knowing her relationship with her father.

For me, One is at its most perfect being played and sung by U2, because it's just my favourite song ever. But if you're going to go for another version, really the only one you can choose is Johnny Cash's. Now that's personal, without all the Mary J stuff, can't really be fussed with her at all. Cash's is amazing, it's like the father's version of the song, in response to Bono's son.

I don't get the reasoning behind having Mary J Blige duet with U2 on One all the time. I know some of you like it but I think she takes the soul out of the song. I thought this when they performed it on Tv for the katrina benifit and I thought the same thing when I saw it live in New York. It's just not as good with her singing it. As for Cash's version yeah it's really good but I don't think he owned the song the way he did with NIN's Hurt.

what i don't get is why they would play "Vertigo". i think the Grammy audience would just eat up "OOTS"!

AtomicBono said:
Meghan...do you have any other songs in your iTunes? :wink:
A few thousand actually. It was all very odd, and I can't figure out what the iPod's obsession with Vertigo is all about. It is a U2 iPod though, so maybe that's one of the special features.

:edge::bono::larry::adam: : "Now you HAVE to listen to Vertigo all day long! :happy:"

mikal said:
what i don't get is why they would play "Vertigo". i think the Grammy audience would just eat up "OOTS"!
:yes: I agree that OOTS would be a better song to play, and it is their newest American single, so that angle would make sense too.

Maybe it's because last year they played Sometimes You Can't... and they didn't want to play another song written about a relative of the band.

while id rather see them play oots, maybe they are going to open the grammy's this year and kick ass with vertigo? no idea. i love vertigo so i don't really care, but it would be bitchin' to see them open with City or to play Original. either way, im happy. its just an awards show, i don't really care what they play.

Vertigo would a great surprise... Green Day, The Boss, the Killers will be there...

personally dont think OOTS would be a good choice, as once again its quite a slow song, and they could suffer they same reaction as they did last time when they played sometimes,

Playing a 15 year old song (while backing another artist's latest album) and what should have been played last year?

:down: Original should have gotten a chance, or at least City if they feel like playing something a bit faster this time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom