Vertigo a failer?(not a good first single)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far as airplay goes, my husband is convinced that I have supernatural abilities because everytime we drive anywhere together we hear vertigo several times.....(my plan is working)

I believe Vertigo and Discotheque are different ypes of songs with the same elements. I like the guitars in Discothque better though the Vertigo riff is pretty good. I dunno, the lyrics have similarity to each other but I can't say the lyrics on Vertigo are that much better than Disco... Also Disco has the catchy end which takes it above a notch from Bono's ahhh/ kneel part....

Discotheque's main guitar riff is better, but Vertigo as a whole is a better rock song thus far. And Vertigo is one of those good songs that just don't get bad, just tired.

Vertigo is played here in Alberta Canda all the time. Its been #1 for two weeks now on the top 30 countdown on the Z99.

Matthew_Page2000 said:

Of course there's doubt. It's just your opinion. :wink:

Here let me give you an example of how ridiculous your statement is:

"Red Light is way better than Where the Streets Have No Name, no doubt..."

Just because you say "no doubt" doesn't mean you're Gwen Stefani. :huh:

Sorry, mind fart.

Oh please. Do I have to say "it's my opinion" everytime I type something? :eyebrow:
Yes, it's my opinion, I thought you guessed that.

Oh anyway. I think Discotheque is underrated. It's my opinion.

I live right in the middle of Dayton and Columbus, Ohio. So I get radio stations from both cities. I must say that I have been hearing Vertigo a large amount on stations of various formats. The top 40 stations, the modern rock stations, the CLASSIC rock stations are even playing it.

I have people who have never bought a U2 album in their lives telling me that they are going to buy this new album. I think they are creating a sense of hype that will lead to high album sales. I have a few friends who have always disliked U2 tell me "that's an awesome song." I think it's really going to strike a chord with a lot of people. It's not the strongest U2 song by any means, and I hope the rest of the album is better, but I think it's doing a good job as the first single.

A radio DJ was playing vertigo on the air last night, and after the song he went on for about 3 minutes talking about how much he loves the song. He said he was dancing around his office to it, and people outside were looking in the window, laughing at him. He said "I haven't had a song make me wanna jump up and rock out like that in a long time."

I watch the CD:UK performance and cant beleive people dont like the song. Anyway, different strokes??? Vertigo Rocks :up: Getting airplay here in DC

I hear "Vertigo" all the time here. I have a friend who doesn't like U2 for the most part but he loves "Vertigo" the song. The only other U2 song that I know he likes is "New Year's Day." I think that says a lot for the appeal of "Vertigo."

Shaun Vox, I'm sorry, you must not listen to the radio at all.

I live in L.A. and every time I get in the car, I hear KROQ play Vertigo.

My girlfriend is not a U2 fan (not that she hates them, just doesn't know that much about them) and she already knows the song by heart, she's heard it on the radio so often.

Quit being such a doom and gloom naysayer. Everyone is getting tired of you making these endless stupid remarks.

I heard Discotheque ONE time on the radio....when it was first released. This song is everywhere...anyways, isn't it a well-known fact that radio pretty much sucks now anyways?

The real gauge of Vertigo's impact as a first single will be the actual initial sales of the new album.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
The real gauge of Vertigo's impact as a first single will be the actual initial sales of the new album.

Cheers,

J

I predict we see first week sales around 600,000 copies in the US mainly because of the strength of Vertigo.

I think U2 will get a ton of first-week sales simply because they are U2. Vertigo certainly could help push those numbers up even higher though.

It appears the unspoken theme of this thread is that "Beautiful Day" was a forgettable first single. "Discotheque" gets plenty of mentions here, but not "Beautiful Day." Thankfully, "Vertigo" sounds less manufactured than "Beautiful Day," and as Matthew Page astutely pointed out, it's far less likely to dampen the enthusiasm of fans and non-fans like "Discotheque" did. (And "Discotheque" was great, by the way.)

Like "Discotheque" and "Pop," it sounds more and more like "Vertigo" is not really going to be representative of the rest of the album. But it's a good song. As fans, we're just overplaying it 'cause it's new. Let's just hope that less-than-inspiring album cover is NOT representative of the music of HTDAAB.

I wouldn't say Beautiful Day was "forgettable" since its pretty much the mpost high-profile U2 tune in years (pre HTDAAB of course;)) and everyone knows it. There is also the small matter of it being a kickass song.;)

Here in NYC it's still being played on 2 if not 3 rock stations -- one a mix of old & new, another a more newish/alt rock/& original new wave/punk rock and the third is a 'classic rock' station.

i'M HAPPY ABOUT THAT AND GLAD IT GOT A WHOLE LOT OF PLAY THE FIRST 2 WEEKS ON ALL THESE STATIONS. :up:

oops pinky slip... as whoever said on page 1 ....having them as older rockers still being taken seriously in a commercial world that doesn't always do that -- that makes me feel good as a long-time fan. :yes:

Whoever believes that "Beautiful Day" was a forgettable first single is sorely mistaken. Some U2 fans might not find the single to their liking, or they may not like it because it was SO POPULAR, but it is certainly not forgettable. "Beautiful Day" is one of those songs that is still HUGE to this day. In fact I was at an amusement park just last Sunday and they played "Beautiful Day" in one of their shows.

Damn, the song one 3 Grammy Awards. I know some people think that ATYCLB is a lame album, but that album vaulted U2 back to the Top of the Pops for gawd sakes.

Where does "Discotheque" rate these days? Hell the band even put out a remixed version on their "Best Of Album". Now, before you all flame me re: "Discotheque" let me say I like "Pop", but please, "Discotheque" is not the best song on that album. Give me "Gone" or "Please" any day. But even those songs were remixed....:ohmy:

It is amazing how well this song has done with no single in stores and no video until this week. Vertigo is doing great!

It's a great first single - kicks ass. In the tradition of the golden 60s 3 minutes to deliver and the hell if it does! I've heard many people who don't care much for U2 say they dig the song and that includes my boyfriend - a declared U2 hater! :lol:
And yes in this end of the world it is getting heaps of airplay - in fact I don't care much for most radio shows, but whenever I listen at home, on the bus, at stores, etc Vertigo seems to be on air! :happy:

Back
Top Bottom