vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
honestly, I couldn't care less about vertigo at this point.

when I go running with my walkman and put on HTDAAB, vertigo is good because it gets me going.

but apart from that I think it's really boring....and that main riff is stolen from the pixies, and anyway I think it's a dumb riff.

and bono said this was "the mother of all rock tunes".

yeah.

It remains a fantastic song, really addictive and an unexpected sort of song for U2 at this stage of their career I would have thought.

i think vertigo is a 'mood' song. 'cos if you are really in the mood for something fast and loud then vertigo sounds fantastic!

but other times when i want to listen to HTDAAB, i skip it.

still a great tune though:wink:

Mac Phisto said:
Vertigo is the best rock song they've done in 20 years...hands down.

no.

the lyrics are dumb, but the guitar is pretty good even if it's a pixies ripoff.

that can be said about the whole album though. really weak lyrics, but good work from the others.

JOFO said:

but apart from that I think it's really boring....and that main riff is stolen from the pixies, and anyway I think it's a dumb riff.

and bono said this was "the mother of all rock tunes".

yeah.

Correct. It's an unoriginal song, and in no way should be considered one of the better U2 tracks in my view. Frankly, it won't stand the test of time.

Well I don't think a song is any less for being "unoriginal"...its not supposed to be some ground-breaking epic, its a short, punky enjoyable song that does its job well.

As for rip-offs, the riff sounds more like "dirty boots" by Sonic Youth to me.

Mac Phisto said:
Vertigo is the best rock song they've done in 20 years...hands down.

how about these instead?

exit
the fly
HMTMKMKM
bullet
wire
god part 2
UTEOTW
acrobat
desire

:eyebrow:

musically and lyrically, these all piss all over vertigo.

*don't get me wrong, I love HTDAAB, but I've come to regard vertigo as something of an anomily.

JOFO said:

how about these instead?

exit
the fly
HMTMKMKM
bullet
wire
god part 2
UTEOTW
acrobat
desire

:eyebrow:

musically and lyrically, these all piss all over vertigo.

:up: Agree. Those are all better than Vertigo. I like how it rocks but can't stand the line "give me what I want and no one gets hurt" :no:

g'day

they should re-release vertigo in its banjo form - i think i'd get off on that
found the edge playin banjo a scream

marty

Live is how it should have sounded. Live it rocks.

edit: I don't know how they manage to ruin some songs in the studio when they sound SO much better live. Vertigo is an exelent example. The same thing goes for LAPOE solo...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom