version of the album leaked, not the real version?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Desert Dog said:
It is my firm belief that U2 knowingly leaked this album on purpose - what better way to get free advertising a few weeks prior to the record's release?

I think Interscope leaked the record, not U2.

If this album ISN'T the finished copy, we all really screwed ourselves over. It's going to be hard to transition from songs I've already come to appreciate and memorize to songs that are slightly different versions. It could completely ruin the experience for me.

Hmm...
I just got an email from my local radio station ...

LISTEN TO 99X ALL DAY TOMORROW AND THIS WEEKEND TO HEAR TRACKS FROM THE NEW U2 CD "HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB".

They wouldn't do it unless they had the go ahead...
I don't think we'll actually notice if there is any difference in what was leaked and what is on the actual disk unless we were really looking for it...

-Macphisto-UK said:
The album version is 3.14 instead of 3.11 for the single version and at the end of the album version yo can hear someone talking in the background, and it doesnt sound like one of those hidden things, infact it sounds a bit out of place and unprofessional. I could be wrong but just a thought.

Yeah, i also noticed it. What does the person say anyway, do you know?

ascender_RS said:
Fast Cars was written & recorded on the last day of work on the album. Which maybe lends some credence to this rumour. But it could just be that the CD they ripped this form didn't have it on it.

A fan on PLEBA who was taken on one of those Bono car rides to listen to new material (this was June/July) mentioned many songs "Miracle Drug" a song with a "Hello, Hello" refrain and a song with "picture in my pocket, all I want is a pcture of you" etc.

The last one is Fast Cars. They wrapped up the studio recordings before they previewed the album for anyone.

I cannot beleive the flood of emails that I get on my home computer from U2GTA members who keep insisting that they were given ready for retail copies of this album by Universal Canada people at the Into The Heart Fest this weekend.

It makes me mad, surpirsed and confused. You are so right to ask where they make their money. If they are doing this on purpose, then is it with the bands blessing? Not likely. There appears to be so much comfusion/deception regarding this release.

Regardless of who might be to blame, I would think it might be very embarassing for the band. :shifty:

There was an earlier post/news item that indicated that there is a dispute between Universal, Interscope, Island and Apple about the release of this album.

Perhaps Universal took matters into it's own hands and decided that they would begin leaking this thing to fans at a known fan function. Perhaps they are trying to force the other companies to push up the release date.

I could be wrong. :huh:

Shono said:
I cannot beleive the flood of emails that I get on my home computer from U2GTA members who keep insisting that they were given ready for retail copies of this album by Universal Canada people at the Into The Heart Fest this weekend.

It makes me mad, surpirsed and confused. You are so right to ask where they make their money. If they are doing this on purpose, then is it with the bands blessing? Not likely. There appears to be so much comfusion/deception regarding this release.

Regardless of who might be to blame, I would think it might be very embarassing for the band. :shifty:

I was at the Toronto thing and I didn't see anyone giving out any retail copies of the album...mind u, i was a bit drunk some of the time. They did play the album, but as far as I'm aware they d/l from the internet like everyone else. But i'm gonna ask some of the folks I know and moan like hell if its true cos I didn't get a copy :grumpy:

UKTan said:

I was at the Toronto thing and I didn't see anyone giving out any retail copies of the album...mind u, i was a bit drunk some of the time. They did play the album, but as far as I'm aware they d/l from the internet like everyone else. But i'm gonna ask some of the folks I know and moan like hell if its true cos I didn't get a copy :grumpy:

I would love to know if this is true or not. I'm surprised that if this was the case w haven't had a lot more people talking about it.

It seems quite a few people from this forum went to this convention and not one has mentioned getting a retail copy of this CD.

KROQ in LA started playing other songs off the album yesterday, they said they got an advance copy. They (the songs I heard, Mircale Drug and Sometimes You..) sounded like the versions we already have.

david said:
KROQ in LA started playing other songs off the album yesterday, they said they got an advance copy. They (the songs I heard, Mircale Drug and Sometimes You..) sounded like the versions we already have.

Yes, I didn't hear all of it, but they said they were going to play all of the album. I did hear All Because of You, and it was the same version.

Also, I remember a bunch of people claiming that Vertigo wasn't the final version when it was first leaked; because of the counting and "turn it up load captain" portion of the song. If the songs that we have are demos or if they didn't finish mixing it, they are the best sounding unfinished songs I've ever heard (excluding PoP that is ;) ).

Last edited:
How good is this promo album propaganda !!!!:eyebrow:

Stolen album ? leaked album is not the final version ?, etc
What´s next ? :(

Well I have to say this leaked version will be at least 95% the same than the final version. They haven´t been recording since mid year I think, so they couldn´t have put some colours at the last minute :|

I remember when I got first Radiohead´s Hail To The Thief, it was 3 MONTHS BEFORE OFFICIAL RELEASE !!!! and it was exactly the same master album, except for "I Will", in which they removed the first bars intro, that´s all !!!! :shocked:

So for sure the most important differences we´ll find, if so, will be some acoustic guitar sounding on the left channel rather than right, for example, but we won´t find a whole new version like what happened with live versions from "If You Were That Velvet Dress", "Wake Up Dead Man", etc nor whole different single versions like "Please". :ohmy:

artdirector said:
Well it might be a different version. if you guys and gals go and listen to the Miracle Drug version from the beach, its somewhat different. Also they would leak it now since we have little time left for the actual release.

I'm going to hear the beach clips one more time.

what are the beach clips ??

I can't imagine the album being better! That would be too much for me! but seriously, people it's the real thing, let's move on....

geeman said:

what are the beach clips ??

Obviously you haven't been following this album too closely:wink:

The beach clips are very rough recordings Spaniards/Portuegese people got of the songs when the band were either playing them loud in the studio or at Bono's house on the beach in France.

heres a question-why isnt the power cut vertigo version on the leaked album?

its on the official video...hmmm, somethings fishy.

Video vs. Album

lew07 said:
heres a question-why isnt the power cut vertigo version on the leaked album?

its on the official video...hmmm, somethings fishy.

Same reason the jets zooming above the band wasn't heard on the ATYCLB version of Beautiful Day. It's a video version with special effects.

Shono said:
There was an earlier post/news item that indicated that there is a dispute between Universal, Interscope, Island and Apple about the release of this album.

Perhaps Universal took matters into it's own hands and decided that they would begin leaking this thing to fans at a known fan function. Perhaps they are trying to force the other companies to push up the release date.

I could be wrong. :huh:

I don't understand that at all.

Universal owns both Interscope and Island, U2 is not affiliated with Island anymore, just Interscope, who's parent company is Universal.

Universal is the giant monster, they will get their way.

Apple, it seems only have digital distribution rights to U2 material, so the only issue with them might be being able to release it earlier on I-tunes. That would be up to Universal also.

chocky said:
The guitar at the start of ABOY also is really loud for the first second then quietens down straight away. Sounds unprofessional (or unfinished).

I'm pretty sure that was a purposely-placed effect, and a damn good one too. :D

I'd be really surprised if this wasn't the real album, though I am wondering about Vertigo... at the end of the promo video, when they're showing the HQ video, Edge's solo after the bridge in Vertigo is MUCH more noticable (I can't even hear a lead guitar part until "I can feel your love..." in the album version, just two layered guitars doing basically the same thing) and something's all weird with the "hola!" and "donde esta?" ... sounds like someone's shouting "WHASUH!" over them or something :eyebrow: does anyone know what I'm talking about? Is this on the single version or something?

It also seems very, very odd to me that Universal Canada would hand out FULL VERSIONS of the album to fans... that's basically just saying "hey! pirate me!" doesn't make a lick of sense :scratch: if this is true I wonder if U2 knows they did it, and if they okayed it? I bet not, 'cause otherwise there would be no reason to be surprised at a leak.

This is all very fishy...

AtomicBono said:

It also seems very, very odd to me that Universal Canada would hand out FULL VERSIONS of the album to fans... that's basically just saying "hey! pirate me!" doesn't make a lick of sense :scratch: if this is true I wonder if U2 knows they did it, and if they okayed it? I bet not, 'cause otherwise there would be no reason to be surprised at a leak.

This is all very fishy...

Seriously...that would be giving pirates carte blance...

I don't see why U2 would be in support of that...all the raving would be going on about this album whether it's now or on the official release date. The album is strong enough on its own.

VERY wierd. :shrug:

U2DMfan said:

I don't understand that at all.

Universal owns both Interscope and Island, U2 is not affiliated with Island anymore, just Interscope, who's parent company is Universal.

Universal is the giant monster, they will get their way.

Actually they are still very much a part of Island (which has no Def Jam attached to it elsewhere), except in the U.S.

Believe me, U2, Universal, Interscope or whoever would not need to go to any great lengths to get this album leaked.

The Toronto story seems somewhat credible to me... with one HUGE caveat. They would have distributed the copy-proof versions they give to all the magazines and radio stations for promotion purposes.

i find it weird that the version of vertigo with the powercut thing, was in: the hq video, the real video(spain one), on the beach clip one, but nowhere else(single,album.......)

Until someone corroborates Shono's version of the events at the fanfest in Toronto, I am not believing in this planned leak theory. There have already been too many lies on this message board these past few months for me to be that trusting.

Surely, if it happened, we would be seeing more people on here telling us because record reps handing out new album CD's would create a firestorm at an event like that. No matter how drunk people were, they would be all over that. We ARE talking about U2 fans here, people.

Back
Top Bottom