Velvet Dress Appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
If you wear that velvet dress... probably the sexiest song U2 ever made? With lyrics like:

Tonight the moon has drawn its curtains
It's a private show
No one else going to know
I'm wanting

Tonight the moon is a mirrorball
Light flickers from across the hall
Who'll catch the star when it falls

... the same mirrorball that was in the Discotheque video I guess. The Unforgettable Fire is another sexy number in my opinion.:sexywink:

beli said:
One of my favourite songs. I prefer the U2 version to the Jools Holland version. I like the bass on the U2 version.

There is a Jools Holland version? Who the hell is that?

such a hypnotic song

when that slow guitar riff comes in over that heavy bass in the second half of the song, it's surreal

unnamed_streets said:

There is a Jools Holland version? Who the hell is that?

Jools Holland was the keyboard player with UK Squeeze. On one of his albums he plays Velvet Dress and Bono does the singing.

Many U2 fans seem to prefer the Jools version to the U2 version. Thats why I mentioned I prefer the U2 version. Sorry for the confusion.

okay, whoah, i didn't know that was who jools was. i wondered what the hell the big to do was! now i need to get my hands on this version. i still haven't heard it!

btw, love love LOVE the pop version. definitely the sexiest song they've ever made.

The album is called

"More Friends"

Jools Holland & his Rhythm & Blues Orchestra

Before you ask I can't email you the file because my CD is so scratched it won't load on to my computer. :mad:

Its worth buying though. Bryan Ferrys on it too. And Chrissie Hynde, Tom Jones, etc

PS In some countries UK Squeeze were just called Squeeze. "Cool For Cats" was their biggest hit here in Australia. Am I helping or hindering? lol

Last edited:
ooh yeah i know who squeeze are...they were just called squeeze here in the states. the first song of theirs that comes to mind is tempted.

ooh bryan ferry is on it? it is on itunes so i may have to download them.

Bryan Ferry sings "The Only Face" and its brilliant. Actually when I listen to that CD I listen to the Bryan Ferry song more than Bono.

Tempted was the first Squeeze hit in the USA. Wow. Weren't they about half dead by then? lol.

Maybe we should rename your thread. lol.

Velvet Dress is damn sexy. I think its one of the best U2 songs ever. Pop is my favourite album. I wish I had of seen PopMart I would have loved to hear Velvet Dress live.

beli said:
Maybe we should rename your thread. lol.

Velvet Dress is damn sexy. I think its one of the best U2 songs ever. Pop is my favourite album. I wish I had of seen PopMart I would have loved to hear Velvet Dress live.

You are my new favorite interferencer! :wink: I can't remember the last time someone mentioned Pop as their favorite. You know what, I missed ZooTV, Popmart and Elevation. :banghead: Hope I can catch Vertigo.

All I have seen is Lovetown, which was brilliant. Theres not much chance of Vertigo coming to my city so Lovetown might well be all I'll ever see. Oh well, I still have my albums.

There is a rumour that theres a DVD box set to be released in the first half of this year. I hope so. I have never seen the PopMart video because I don't have a video player. I do, however, have a DVD player. I'm hoping PopMart Whatever Its Called Video is in the DVD boxed set.

I think Pop is #3 for me after Achtung and Joshua. But really, I love all three equally... depends on the mood actually. The Best Of 1990-2000 DVD set has Gone and Mofo from Popmart. That's one great collection.

Hey, I just noticed that we both became members in Aug 2002.

What I meant as a DVD boxed set is a new product containing 4 or 5 DVDs eg maybe Slane, Boston, Sydney etc. That kinda boxed set

lol about the date joined. I only started posting about a year ago. I lurked for years. Actually I lurked for ages before I joined as well. I only joined to stop that annoying signup box that was introduced.

I'm moving over to U2.com now. Its a bit boring at the moment though with all the ticket talk.

Pop has always and probably will always be my fave.

I will defend it until the day I die. I hope that we will get the chance to see U2 put themselves out there again. It doesn't have to sound anything like Pop, but as long as they give everything that they have into the songs I'd love it.

Anywho, Velvet Dress is an amazing song. :wink:

I find the album version pretty dull, but the Jools Holland re-working just blew me away. I think Bono's vocals made the difference for me - they're so much more dynamic on Jool's, whereas on POP I feel like he's just muttering to himself.

colinmchapman said:
I gotta say, my CD wont load onto my computer either. I wonder if there is some kind of encryprtion?

Really? Thats interesting I thought it was just me.

I actually got it to load today by loading it from the DVD player. Previously I have only tried the CD player but I was half asleep and put it in the wrong drive and it worked. :huh:

Normally its EMI that does that bastard encryption crap. This ones Warner.

Do you have a DVD player on your computer? If so, try that.

Saracene said:
I find the album version pretty dull, but the Jools Holland re-working just blew me away. I think Bono's vocals made the difference for me - they're so much more dynamic on Jool's, whereas on POP I feel like he's just muttering to himself.

I agree. When I first heard the Jools Holland version I finally saw the full potential and depth of this song. It's amazing. I can send it anyone who doesn't have it if they want it...it is a nessacary song to have.

:up:

beli said:
PS I don't know anybody else who says Pop is there favourite album. Theyres a number of people who have Pop in their top 3 though.

Pop's always been in my top 3. Depending on the definition of favourite, it might be mine too. I've had a long time off U2 music and it's still only Pop that I can listen to in entirety and not get bored or annoyed.

I adoreth it.

Question: am I allowed to like only the live version? I can't stand the album version but the Discotheque with IYWTVD tagged onto the end of it is divine, I tned to listen to just the ending of the Mexico City version (which is 7th on my iTunes 'most played' list).

Stars, I would love to have it! :wave:

I love Velvet Dress. It's the sexiest, most erotic song U2 has ever done. Bono should definitely sing more in those lower registers of his voice. Hearing him like that gives me chills.

Back
Top Bottom