Velvet Dress Appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RA-D said:
Question: am I allowed to like only the live version? I can't stand the album version but the Discotheque with IYWTVD tagged onto the end of it is divine, I tned to listen to just the ending of the Mexico City version (which is 7th on my iTunes 'most played' list).

When Pop first came out, I didn't dig on "If You Wear..." all that much; in fact, it was far and away my least favorite song on the album. For a while, I can honestly say that I HATED the song--no kidding. After seeing the band live in the summer of '97, though...well, things changed. I was just fascinated by the song's live performance, and it gave me an excuse to go back to the album version and see just what it was all about. While I still think that the song could've done with a few different production choices and maybe wasn't recorded so well, its essence is still a beautiful one. As the years have gone by, this song (particularly the live versions, which often sound a lot better than the album version, if you ask me) has really grown on me and become one of my favorites from the Pop-era.

I very much dislke the album version but I LOVE the live version. It sounds great with that slow and very distorted guitar at the beginning and the beautiful drum and bass work. Also beautiful lyrics and melodies. The Jools Hollad version is fantastic! :love:

Love the song. Both the album and the live version. It grew on me so much. I didn't like it at all on first listen.

---POP was great in that it was different and creative---it was not this bands best album---the best album was, is and always will be Joshua Tree--it was the defining moment of this band---great music--no catches or cliches just pure creativity and an incredible moment in the history of music in general-----no disrespect to anyones opinion intended--but be realistic---this band has put out some fantastic music and it is very dear to me in alot of ways---but JT was IT!---it had that thing that you cant describe and will always define what U2 is

pjp2771 said:
---POP was great in that it was different and creative---it was not this bands best album---the best album was, is and always will be Joshua Tree--it was the defining moment of this band---great music--no catches or cliches just pure creativity and an incredible moment in the history of music in general-----no disrespect to anyones opinion intended--but be realistic---this band has put out some fantastic music and it is very dear to me in alot of ways---but JT was IT!---it had that thing that you cant describe and will always define what U2 is

... so, as this is the Velvet Dress appreciation thread please give your views on this song. Thank you.

Pop is my favorite album, it has been for years. If You Wear That Velvet Dress is the first song I want to listen to when I want to take it easy. It's great for playing in the dark! (hmmm... that could be taken a few different ways...)

Live it sounds okay, and I haven't heard the Jool's version. I'd probably like to, but if it doesn't have that slow, syrupy, bittersweet music behind it, then I seriously doubt I'd give it more than a few listens...

goat

I love Pop (I will admit, I bought it, heard it once and it lay hidden among a pile of cds for over a year), especially this song. :heart:

One of my favorite Edge solos, I just wish Bono would sing instead of whisper in the first part of the song.

Back
Top Bottom