velvet dress.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickFly

Refugee
i have had my mom ask me a question about "if you wear that velvet dress"
she was like "what?" what will happen if you wear that velvet dress"? i was curious if anyone has heard of the answer to this. or you opinions.

This is a question a read already on other sites. It is unkown because the conditional meaning of that sentence opens oportunities, but those aren't given in the song....
I personally think that it means that if you wear that velvet dress it all will start again and in the end the woman will be hurt again (never listened to you anyway.......). With wearing that certain dress, the singer knows that all this will happen again - and again...and again.....

This is why I like U2, they arent obvious. Too much music is spelled out for everyone, too many lyrics are so straight forwardly cheesy it makes me sick half the time.

Re: Re: velvet dress.

madonna's child said:

Bono will suck you.

[color=royal blue]LLLLLLLLMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*passes out*

:lol: :lol: !!
[/color]

Pedro Rodrigues answered this question beautifully four years ago:

"Another important thing to point out is that the chorus is a condition (if), but its consequence is never specified. What happens if she wears the dress? What happens if the world turns into that absolute irresistible temptation for a moment? This is the touch of genious in the song: what happens is that he will choose, and he can still choose right or wrong. So can you, so can I, ... this is where the song "opens" to become an anthem for freedom, and freedom so real it hurts. This is where love has a chance to prove itself..."

I know that I, for one, can't say it any more brilliantly than that.

MixingBliss said:
Pedro Rodrigues answered this question beautifully four years ago:

"Another important thing to point out is that the chorus is a condition (if), but its consequence is never specified. What happens if she wears the dress? What happens if the world turns into that absolute irresistible temptation for a moment? This is the touch of genious in the song: what happens is that he will choose, and he can still choose right or wrong. So can you, so can I, ... this is where the song "opens" to become an anthem for freedom, and freedom so real it hurts. This is where love has a chance to prove itself..."

I know that I, for one, can't say it any more brilliantly than that.

That's been that quote I was reading as well once..........whoever Pedro Rodriguez might be.....

Back
Top Bottom