Vanilla Sky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just came back from seeing it and yes, just about all of Wild Honey is in it, just during a scene in a bar. It fits perfectly at the time though.

Also in it is an R.E.M. song and Radiohead and some other good stuff.

As for the movie, WOW. It's a TRIP. I liked it, but not overwhelmingly so, I think we are starting to see more and more movies like this in a way and the novelty is wearing off. But I thought it was well done, a little bit slow and longer than it needed to be but a good movie. The actual review will be up by Wedensday at my OTHER website, www.currentlyplaying.com !

l8r, enjoy your Friday night im still enjoying mine...

I love mind-fuck films. I adored Memento, Lost Highway, Eyes Wide Shut, Twin Peaks, etc.
I adore Cameron Crowe and Tom Cruise. Separate. Together. Whatever. The thought of all 3 coming together for a mind-fuck should have been an exercise in greatness.

But Vanilla Sky, the one movie this winter I looked forward to, has got to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen.
This is only my opinion though, and so I will proceed... not with a review, just with thoughts in passing...

I, personally, found the film incomprehensible, self-indulgent and extremely tedious. I found myself asking "Why? Why the need for this tangent?" "Why the need for prolonged sequences of the innane?"

Afterwards, coming out of the theatre, basking in disappointment of what would have been my new favorite movie -

I thought this of Vanilla Sky:

Vanilla Sky= Eyes Wide Shut +Lost Highway +The Matrix +The Game

*sigh* just my .02.

------------------
No alarms and no surprises, please.

[This message has been edited by HelloAngel (edited 12-14-2001).]

It did look like a great film in the previews but the critics (I know, critics suck) are beating on it... I think I will wait for the video.

By the way, for a great movie review site go to www.rottentomatoes.com - numerous reviews are averaged and the movie is then given a percentage. Anything over 70% will usually be a good bet.

Yeah, I've got to say I was disappointed as well....It's not even a movie you can try to figure out!!!! Ugghhh.....

Anyway, the guy I went with said the Spanish version is much, much better (the original version)

Oh God...Look at this! http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/blairwitch2.html
And while youre at it, check this out: http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/battlefieldearth.html
I used to visit that site a lot, not so much lately. Glad I went back.
------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 12-15-2001).]

Hmm...interesting views on this. I'll be seeing it tomorrow so I can settle the score here!
wink.gif

------------------
Sitting on a cornflake
Waiting for the van to come

I just saw it and I like it very much. I also saw the original 2 years ago which I loved. My one criticism is certain scenes lacked the dark genius that this film needs to really be great. Also, Kurt Russell was a bad choice of casting. I am surprised that the critics are bashing it. It is certainly not terrible. The music for the most part is great. Again, mt one critique is that the film does reval the limitations of Cameron Crowe as a director; I would have loved to have seen David Fincher, Adrian Lyne, David Lynch, or Darren Aronofsky direct this.

Saw it last night.
confused.gif
for sure, or maybe I'm just stupid.
wink.gif

I don't want to give the ending away, but does anyone else think the last shot means the whole thing was a, well, you know...?

Definitely a TRIP. The music was great, and the best acting in it, IMO, was from Cameron Diaz. I do think Tom is a talented actor, and his performance was fine-maybe this role was just not the best match for him.

A good review wont be enough for Penelope Cruz when she arrives for the premiere here on Wednesday. She's gonna get the worst reception ever.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
A good review wont be enough for Penelope Cruz when she arrives for the premiere here on Wednesday. She's gonna get the worst reception ever.[/QUOTE]

Is that beacause youre in Australia and everyone is mad about what Tom did to Nicole and Penelope is the other woman??

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
Saw it last night.
confused.gif
for sure, or maybe I'm just stupid.
wink.gif

I don't want to give the ending away, but does anyone else think the last shot means the whole thing was well, you know...?

Gina Marie do not give away the ending but the answer to your question is YES, email me if you wanna talka bout it!
smile.gif

------------------
Camilo Arenivar

Email: U2LA2000@hotmail.com

AOL Instant Message: nohocamilo

Yahoo Messenger: u2la2000

http://www.U2LA.com

My favourite part was when "good vibrations" by the Beach Boys started playing. That whole scene was just great. Funny, disturbing, and it had me tapping my foot and singing along.

And who can forget the great "what if God was one of us ?! Just a slob like one of us ?!"

Tom Cruise did an excellent job. Cheers. I give it a B. In other words, thumbs up.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

I rarely like movies, so it's odd for me to rave about a movie. Especially a movie with Tom Cruise. That being said, I loved Vanilla Sky! Wild Honey was a great song choice, as was "Salisbury Hill" by Peter Gabriel. It was definiately not a superb film, but much better than most of the movies I've seen in the past few years. It's worth the $7 just because it's different.

U2LA, unfortunately that is the reason why she will get a frosty reception. I do not agree with it however. All last week radio stations here in Sydney have had big debates from callers about what they want to do to her, and I feel quite sorry for the girl. As it is, no one knows what happened with Tom and Nicole, but she is being seen as the other woman. The problem is, one station has been giving away exclusive tix to walk the carpet and go to the after party, and they are some who aren't very supportive of her. I think it stinks, honestly, its Tom I've never liked, and for Penelope to cop flack over something private when all she is doing is promoting her movie is stupid.

I've been debating seeing this exact film today but after seeing the reviews of critics and non-critics alike, I'd say I'll wait for the video and go for something else.

------------------
"I sometimes get the odd twinge that I wouldn't mind playing lead guitar, just like a couple of notes, but that's about as near as I would want to get to the front." -Larry

If I'd had the time and impetus to go see this movie last weekend, that would have been one thing. However, the only movie this week that I'm waiting on pins and needles for is Lord of the Rings! Wooohoooo!

biggrin.gif

-sula

i saw "Vanilla Sky" last night, and didn't like it at all. actually, that's not true. i was enjoying it up to the last 20 minutes or so- then it just got reeeeeally stupid. what a horrible ending. save your 10 bucks... or better yet, spend it on "The Royal Tennenbaums". (haven't seen it, but have heard from multiple sources that it's quite good.)

the soundtrack to VS, however, is great.

I saw Tom Cruise interviewed on Access Hollywood, or one of those shows and he said the reason U2, Radiohead and REM songs were used in the movie was because those albums were all that he was listening to while shooting the movie. He's a fan of 3 said bands.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Ally,

I agree with you 100%....I did enjoy the movie until the last part - what a STUPID ending, indeed.
And I mean, unlike other "mind-fuck" movies (as someone above called it), you can't even try to figure it out - it's impossible without knowing that last part of the film.

Too bad U2's "wild honey" and the other song by REM (there were two in the movie) are not featured on the soundtrack album. Neither is "good vibrations" ... Complaints should follow.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Usually - I agree with the critics. But this time - I will stray. I thought the movie was a masterpiece. It had me thinking not only in terms of what the main character was going through with his life (or not really going through). But it also had me re-examining my own life and many of the choices I make a daily basis. Not many movies can do that to me.

There were several references to eternity - and eternal love - a good reason why songs like Wild Honey (a song about eternal love) are in there. I also enjoyed REM's Sweetness Follows - as at it turned out - Sweetness did follow the anguish...

I put this is up as movie of the year thus far. I need to think about for another few days - then I really need to see it again. And I think it more important to think about the "themes" brought up by scientific questions - and not necessarily the science itself...surely - we are at an age we REALLY need to start discussing the morality of human created immortality...

I loved Vanilla Sky, I've even seen it twice, and after seeing it the second time I appreciate it even more. Most of the people I went to see it with liked it, some of my other friends hated it. I have a feeling that this movie will fall under the "you-either-love-it-or-hate-it" category. The soundtrack is amazing. U2 is featured as well as 2 Radiohead songs, 2 REM songs, The Beach Boys, Peter Gabriel, Bob Dylan, and Sigur Ros. I did however check out the soundtrack at my local Best Buy and half of those songs aren't on it. I guess they didn't get the rights to put them on the CD. I thought Cameron Diaz, Jason Lee, and Penelope Cruz did great jobs acting. Tom Cruise did alright, I don't think he was best suited for this role, but he managed to keep it together most of the movie.

Well, Lord of the Rings comes out today, I am frothing at the mouth over this one. And as said before the Royal Tennenbaums should be great (it's by the sname guy who did Rushmore).

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO

Originally posted by Achtung Zooropa:

Well, Lord of the Rings comes out today, I am frothing at the mouth over this one.

going to the midnight showing tonite?

sula just got her tix.
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately I have come down with a really bad cold. So I might be bed-stricken tonight. :0( I know this movie is gonna rock though.

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO

Back
Top Bottom