Vanessa Carlton - Where The Streets Have No Name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you can find the mp3 here -

hxxp://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/wa/default?user=thereisnospoon94&templatefn=FileSharing98.html&xmlfn=TKDocument.98.xml&sitefn=TKSite.8.xml&aff=consumer&cty=US&lang=en

its entitled 07- streets have no name

That's pretty good actually! I liked her version of Paint It Black on the first album too :)

If anyone can send me the version with Maynard James Keenan and the rest that'd be muchly appreciated!

squishypeanut @ gmail.com (no spaces :))

This is f*(&%$ gorgeous. The song translates to Piano surprisingly well. I'd be interested to see what she could do with some other U2 songs. Maybe what Dylan said about people remembering their songs but not being able to play them is true, if they're using the original instrumentation. This has potential to bring a lot more fans in, especially with it's release a few weeks before HTDAAB.

just heard it, good stuff. Really impressed me, even had the buildup in the beginning. I can see teeny boppers posting on their Vanessa Carlton sites "this is so much better than the original version u2 tried to do."

RademR said:
just heard it, good stuff. Really impressed me, even had the buildup in the beginning. I can see teeny boppers posting on their Vanessa Carlton sites "this is so much better than the original version u2 tried to do."

They already have. Although I don't think her hardcore fanbase is entirely teenybopper. She's got a weird following. The devotees are not the ones that buy the Now compilations from what I gather.

On a side note, her boyfriend (Stephen Jenkins of 3rd Eye Blind, 40 years old no less and dating her in her early 20s) could learn a thing or two about covering U2...

Forget the quality, remember his "I Will Follow" introduction?

"This is the first song I learned how to masturbate to!"
Wouldn't it be interesting if Vanessa said the same thing about streets?

UnforgettableLemon said:

Forget the quality, remember his "I Will Follow" introduction?

"This is the first song I learned how to masturbate to!"

What?! :scratch: :huh:

I don't think her fans are really all teenyboppers either. I kinda like her, not what I usually listen to but I think she's ok. :shrug:

Last edited:
neutral said:

What?! :scratch: :huh:

I don't think her fans are really all teenyboppers either. I kinda like her, not what I usually listen to but I think she's ok. :shrug:

When 3eB opened for U2 on the Popmart tour, they did a cover of "I Will Follow," in which Stephan Jenkins made the aforementioned comments. You shouldn't have too much trouble digging it up on a file sharing agent, I myself no longer have it. It's not a horrible cover, but it's not exactly great either. The introduction is, however, beyond bizarre

Vanessa Carlton gets props definetly, I just said teeny boppers because I would expect them to make annoying statements like that. I heard the "I will follow" cover and had it also but eventually deleted it. It was OK, the vocals were horrible though. I like at the end when the guitarist played that really short sample of GLORIA.

So is there a mp3 of the Axis of Justice version anywhere?

Morello, Maynard and Flea? Good God that HAS to be good.

Me neither. The music was fine, I just didn't like her voice.

But I rarely like covers anyway.

Her voice sounds nice and cleaned up - I want to see this live. I saw her live on TV once and I thought her voice was really mediocre. :|

they use computers to make the tones of the voice sound perfect probably.. i'm pretty sure avril lavigne uses it, and same as eminem

i may be the minority here but i honestly don't like it at all. the arrangement's pretty good but her i don't like her voice. to each his or her own i guess.

The piano is wonderful.

Shame her voice doesn't really suit the song.

Yeah, after listening to it a dozen times it's not quite as impressive.

Personally, that piano arrangement is worth a download alone although her voice is not anywhere near powerful enough to carry the song.

Piano/strings A+
Vocals/rhythm section D
Overall B-

The best cover of a U2 song was the cover of With Or Without You buy that japanese female singer that performed it on MTV Japan's Unplugged. Second best is Tori Amos' nice cover of Running To Stand Still.

Her voice is pretty and on-key and all that, but it lacks, you know, conviction. Which is what makes the song.

She also occasionally zigs where Bono zags, but I try to excuse things like that in covers (and live performances).

Last edited:
I like it... the way she sings I guess is more to her style, so I can understand why she did it the way she did.
Piano is great...could almost inspire me to get back into playing again.

Back
Top Bottom