UTEOTW too low for Bono to do live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deltau922

War Child
I always wondered why they jack this song up a couple steps live. Most other songs they don't deviate much from the original key.:der:

I remember reading somewhere that they change the keys of some songs live b/c the higher keys carry better in big arenas and stadiums.

Hmmm... I've always been under the impression that they dropped the key a couple steps from the album version to the Elevation Tour version.

But yeah, I've also heard that higher keys project better in large venues.

Whatever they do, it's still one of my favorite live songs. :drool:

*eeedit: Silly me, I must have been thinking of another song (probably Pride). It is upped a few steps. I like it higher, cause Edge's solo sounds more kick-ass.

Last edited:
I believe they crank UTEOTW up one and a half tones live, probably just so it's more dynamic live.

in fact elevation tour they played it in the highest key. during zoo tv and pop it was half a step lower, but all are higher than the studio vrsn.
another example is i will follow which is played higher now than in the studio.

blindinglights said:
another example is i will follow which is played higher now than in the studio.

Yeah, but they just started that during Elevation, and it's only a half step.

deltau922 said:
I always wondered why they jack this song up a couple steps live. Most other songs they don't deviate much from the original key.:der:

LOL, all their songs deviate from the original key, they tune down at least half a step on most songs live. A whole step for SBS and Pride.

Yeah, Pride is a full step down, as is SBS. UTEOTW is in E on Achtung Baby, and in G on the Elevation tour (for those who watch the DVD religiously, you may have noticed a little thing on the neck of Edge's guitar, this is called a capo - which basically is a quick way of changing the tuning upward without putting unnecessary stress on the strings). For those who haven't performed a song in a live situation before, you need to understand that if they took the album approach on a lot of the lower key songs, like UTEOTW, the vocals would simply not even get on the radar at a live gig. You have to project your voice enough, that it overrides a lot of the ambient noise from the crowd that is also leaking into your mic. Thus, low growls and whispers simply don't work as a general rule.

As for things being too low to be done live, if ever, it's a question of whether they're too high, not low. :wink:

Last edited:
I'm happy that they're doing this, we all know that this song live is quite a lot better than the studio version, and that's saying a lot.
I want it live for the next tour!!!

Back
Top Bottom