Upon Further Reveiew...Elevation DVD...Truth in Labeling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got done wathcing the DVD for the third time and I need to mention a few observations about it's claim that it is from the 6/6 Boston show.

My observations are based on the fact that I was in the very front row of the heart on 6/5 right in front Edge and in GC seats on 6/6. Anyways...

*Most (if not all) of Elevation is from 6/5...at least the crowd shots anyway. How do I know this? Well, I can briefly see myself and my wife during the "bonocam" part when he scans the crowd as he takes the stage and the two guys we hung out with all day in the GA line are PROMINENT during much of the song. They ended up directly in front of Bono on 6/5...and neither one attended the 6/6 show! This leads me to a possible conclusion: That the actual concert footage was culled from 6/6 but that the director used the 6/5 crowd footage of Elevation POSSIBLY because of the now infamous Controversy in the Heart on 6/6...you know, where a number of fans staged a "sit in" to protest the heart selection process that night. Anyways...without question most if not all of Elevation (or the crowd itself) is from 6/5...not 6/6 as the DVD alleges.

*GONE. Here again, somewhat misleading. We all know by now that Edge's temper tantrum occured on 6/5, which culminated in the eventual smashing of his guitar. The DVD shows this rare event...but upon further review I can emphatically state that the performance of GONE is indeed from 6/6...with the exception of a clever edit by the director which shows Edge's tantrum from 6/5 which was tacked on at the end. You see, from my prime vantage point on 6/5, Edge was IRATE throughout the ENTIRE song, Dallas even came on stage during the song and he and Edge had words...not to mention that Egde spent a considerable amount of time during that song on 6/5 with his back turned to the audience as he and Dallas were fooling around with his guitar equipment and electronics behind him. So...while I have seen many of you here state that the performance of Gone from the DVD is actually 6/5...it really isn't...with the exception of the ending that was cleverly inserted. In fact, it "happens" when the camera pulls away from Larry at the end of the song and gives you a panoramic view from the back of the arena...the 6/5 footage is then spliced into the song from there. Trust me.

*UTEOTW. Again, I can briefly see myself, my wife, and two others who were next to us on 6/5 in the DVD. I had GC seats for 6/6...so either the performance is from 6/5 or again...the performance is from 6/6 but the crowd shot is from 6/5.

*DESIRE. What a MAJOR disappointment on the DVD. Anyone who was there or has the bootleg can attest to this. On the DVD, Bono's "rap" about Boston and the Kennedy's is edited out. In other words, there was a whole lot more to DESIRE than the DVD reveals. In fact, I believe that the 6/6 version of DESIRE was quite possibly the BEST live version EVER of that song, yet it didn't survive the cutting room floor. Therefore, DESIRE just doesn't "look" or feel right when watching the DVD.

*STREETS. I believe that a good chunk of STREETS is the 6/5 performance. Why? Because the 6/6 performance had the whole NBA thing with Bono bouncing a ball on stage and tossing it into the crowd etc. So, this was either heavily edited from the 6/6 performance or was from 6/5.

*Awkward editing before Wake Up Dead Man. We all know that ONE was played before this in concert, but the DVD cuts to Wake Up Dead Man. From my observations, just doesn't look natural and omits Bono's commentary regarding Third World Debt etc made prior to One.

Are these observations nitpicky? Probably, but I'm a little disappointed in the "marketing" of this product to the public because this is NOT the ENTIRE CONCERT FROM JUNE 6th as the DVD states (MW, ONE, PEOPLE GET READY, SECOND PART OF DESIRE) were omitted from the DVD, in addition to more than a few occurences of clever editing that actually contains crowd and band performance from 6/5 as I pointed out above. To the average fan who wasn't their and who doesn't have the bootleg they probably won't know the difference. But to those of us who were there (and possibly more as a matter of principle to me) I'm disappointed this is being portrayed as a "complete" concert from "6/6" when in fact it is neither.

Truth in labeling re: the DVD...I think in this case it could be a hung jury but I believe AT BEST the packaging and marketing is somewhat misleading...but does anyone besides me really care?
tongue.gif

Other than that...the DVD is da bomb and sounds simply smashing on my home theater system!

Also "Kite" appears to have some 6/5 edited in as well...if you recall, om 6/6 Bono missed the "summer i can taste the salt..." line before Edge's solo, and sang it in the tag at the end instead of the normal "Last of the rock stars..." tag. On DVD the 6/6 ending is there, but Bono doesn't miss the line during the song, so they must have edited in some of the 6/5 performance of the song.

Well as for STREETS it is the 6/6 version. If you put in disc 2 and watch the alternative view from the crowd, it shows the whole NBA thing. I find your claims very hard to believe that the crowd shots were from another night because on the DVD "making the concert" section, they talk about both nights and how the first night was FLAT and the crowd was much better on the second night. I mean you have to be right if you were there, so Im not saying your wrong. I suggest you watch the alternitive angles from the concert and you will see that a lot was edited, like WALK ON, at the begining of the song bono says "walk on" but in the real concert as shown on DVD 2 from the crowds perspective he says "for ang sui kie" or what ever his name is.

I don't know, I have to agree on the editing crap. I'm thankful for the DVD, and there are great performances and everything, I just wish they had made it a one night, one concert thing. I understand that there were certain circumstances that screwed things, but dang...It does just seem kind of misleading.

Good anaylsis Like Someone to Blame.

One question: If the performance of Gone was in fact from 6/6 with the end part edited in, then wouldn't Edge's shirt number be different(I am assuming it is the same as I don't remember.) Unless they wore the same clothes.

Karl

Originally posted by karl:
Unless they wore the same clothes.

They wore the same clothes-I believe for all 4 shows-due to the filming for the DVD.

I just think it's great to have the DVD-no matter how they edited it.

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

Vox626: You are correct about STREETS from the alternate angle being from 6/6. However, I still question whether or not on Disc 1 if it is the ENTIRE 6/6 performance. I believe some heavy editing was done around the whole NBA scene and that more than likely, in order to crop that NBA scene out from the official "concert", shots from the 6/5 STREETS performance were pasted in.

Yes, while the DVD acknowledges that the crowd was "FLAT" on 6/5, I was indeed there and believe me, I'm in some of the Elevation shots AND UTEOTW and I was nowhere NEAR the heart on 6/6! Also, the dead giveaway that 6/5 crowd shots was used for some of the songs, but especially Elevation, is the prominence of the two guys I hung out with in the GA line all day. I don't have the exact time elapsed, but shortly after the DVD goes to color, look for a guy in a gray T-shirt, with a reddish-brown foo manchu and reddish brown hair pumping his fist in the air. He only had tickets for 6/5 and (I have an EXCELLENT memory...especially when it comes to people and faces) that is the EXACT shirt he wore in line all day! His buddy is next to him on his right (our left if viewing) and his buddy is wearing the EXACT clothes he wore in line all day on 6/5 as well...so it's either the biggest coincidence in the world or, as I suspect, shots of 6/5 are littered throughout the DVD...lending credence to the fact that the marketing and packaging of the DVD is somewhat misleading.

Karl: Yes, the band wore the EXACT same clothes both nights...probably so they could do the fancy editing we are discussing here!!!

Look, the DVD is great. I just wish it wasn't so heavily edited and was truly of one night and the COMPLETE show!!! I'm perplexed as to why they wouldn't have put on the DVD that the show was from both 6/5 and 6/6 since shots and some performances from 6/5 are used in the DVD. Oh well...just an observation.

Wow! This is a very interesting thread; this is what makes being a U2 geek, excuse me--FAN, interesting. And I'm including myself in the geek crack, so don't get mad!! This reminds me of Wide Awake in America, with all the recording skullduggery going on. Keep this up. I don't have the DVD yet (hell, I don't even have a DVD player yet), but I like this sort of detective work.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

[This message has been edited by martha (edited 11-26-2001).]

if you were there then it is indeed a big shame and a bit disapointing, I understand completly 100%. However, as some of you stated to the non Boston attendee it is simply stunning, whether it be from one night or from another U2 had fun in Boston and you all should be proud that at least you have a document that you were able to attend in person
smile.gif

Today I watched the DVD carefully and also discovered that there are many shots from the 6/5 show. I was in the heart on 6/5 and have seen myself during Elevation, Beautiful Day, UTEOTW, the end of Gone, Kite, and I think I Will Follow and SBS. One way you can tell which night it is is by the color of the wristbands-- 6/5's were red, 6/6's were bright orange.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed in the DVD. It's not even a concert- it's more a music video. It has audio from mostly 6/6 combined with camera shots from both nights. The DVD was manufactured and doesn't accurately capture a U2 show because you don't even know whether you're looking at footage from 6/5 or 6/6. That's crap. Why does the box claim it's 6/6 when it's not?

And, the camera angles change way too quickly. The new director guy sucks if you ask me. I could have directed a better show using 8 cameras and actually filming band members for more than .75 seconds at a time. I also would have used only one night's footage.

I'm pissed off about the diditng, there is no reason for it and I wold prefer the full show w/ One, MW, People Get Ready (Awesome version) and without the additional tracks. But, I disagree, the camera is amazing! The director is very good and to whoever said they could do a better job, why aren't you in the business?

This DVD is awesome, could be better, but we get a quality product that we can enjoy. Please stop complaining, at least you got one or are going to. If you don't want one, I'll take an extra.

Yup, you are right Hewson. I forgot about the "Kite" screw-up!

Ivan, not sure what you are talking about in your post, but I can ASSURE you that at the very least the crowd shots of the heart during Elevation is from 6/5, not 6/6! I wasn't in the heart on 6/6 and neither were the people in front of Bono who I hung out in the GA line all day on 6/5, unless some REALLY clever editing took place!!!

Originally posted by Like someone to blame:
This leads me to a possible conclusion: That the actual concert footage was culled from 6/6 but that the director used the 6/5 crowd footage of Elevation POSSIBLY because of the now infamous Controversy in the Heart on 6/6...you know, where a number of fans staged a "sit in" to protest the heart selection process that night. Anyways...without question most if not all of Elevation (or the crowd itself) is from 6/5...not 6/6 as the DVD alleges.

I think that this is true, however in one overhead shot during Elevation I believe I see people in the heart sitting down. I think it is unfortunate that so many edits took place in the DVD, I would much rather have a complete show.

------------------
Looking for U2 bootlegs?
www.geocities.com/u2trades

The more I watch it, the more inconsistencies with the alleged 6/6 date I pick up! My newest observation:

* THE FLY. Those in attendence both nights will remember that on 6/5 Bono did his "fly" imitation at the end of the song, i.e. pasting himself to the back of the videowall etc which gives the crowd the visual impression of, well, a fly on the wall! During the 6/6 show, and I DISTINCTLY remember this because I was in the GC section this occurred directly in front of, FleetCenter Security came onto the GA floor and cleared a path for Bono to "exit" the arena at the end of the song, i.e. Bono jumping down from the tip of the heart and "sprinting" through the crowd.

In fact, the DVD shows Bono jumping down off the tip at the end of The Fly, (which indicates 6/6) but the NEXT shot of Bono is of him sprinting UP THE HEART and PASTING HIMSELF TO THE BACK OF THE VIDEOWALL! (which happened on 6/5)! So, once again we have another example of 6/5 being conveniently edited into a 6/6 performance.

Another interesting note. When one watches the "Making of Elevation" snippet on the DVD, the narrorator comments on how "flat" the 6/5 crowd was and how there were too many lights and cameras. He then goes on to mention that for the 6/6 show, they got rid of the extra lighting from 6/5 and some of the cameras as well. Why is this interesting? Because he then states that due to these "changes" it would be impossible to use ANY of the 6/5 footage!!! It was 6/6 or nothing! Yet, as I and others here have pointed out, there is quite a bit of the 6/5 footage used in the DVD! I'm not sure who they think they are fooling and why they appear to be so emphatic that the DVD is exclusively from 6/6, but it is interesting to me none the less.

As for comments about the DVD feeling like a music video...I generally agree with that statement, especially the more I watch it. I don't think Hammish Hamilton did a very good job directing this at all. I think it shows, as he states in the DVD, that he directs on "feel". I don't think Hammish was "feeling" it for these shows. It is evident to me he was flying by the seat of his pants and well, he blew it for the most part. I hate the splicing of 6/5 footage with 6/6 footage to no end and I despise some of the obvious edits that took place. For instance, once such part I abhor is the transition from UTEOTW to Stuck. In the DVD you can clearly see that Bono is near the very tip of the heart at the end of UTEOTW, yet he magically appears with tambourine in hand on the main stage just a few quick milliseconds after the last note of UTEOTW. My mother-in-law (not a U2 fan and didn't go to the concert) picked up on this immediately, saying "wow, he must run REAL FAST". A very awkward moment and amateur editing in my opinion. I could go on...there are many other instances like the one I just mentioned but I'll be nice and spare everyone the details.

Suffice it to say, of ALL the concert videos U2 has released, I think this one is the worst yet!!! Go ahead, flame me...I can take it. But seriously, both the Popmart and Zoo TV home videos are magnificent! But, as Willie Williams says in the DVD, those tours were "...made for TV", so I won't make an apples to oranges comparison with this DVD to those video releases. So for comparisons sake I believe the closest thing to this tour in terms of astetics and "feel" is the JT tour, for which we have Rattle and Hum. And I'll tell that in my opinion Phil Joanu did a much better job with shooting the bands performance than Hammish Hamilton. In fact, R & H "feels" more like a true concert than the Elevation DVD, due to superior directing in my opinion. And as for Red Rocks...well that is just a true classic and incomparable to anything else U2 has put on video to date.

So, while I think this DVD fails to capture this amazing tours spirit, emotion, and brilliant band performances, it nevertheless is worth having. While possibly the worst live video U2 has released (NO FAULT OF THEIRS, MIND YOU) their are some nice moments in there. The DVD just suffers from bad direction and horrible back room editing. It would have been much better to have just let the cameras roll and to have released the WHOLE show, not parts of it. This DVD suffers from TOO MUCH DIRECTION and not enough spontaneity.

Maybe the band realized this early on in the editing process...which may explain reports that the Slane shows were taped as well as shows from the third leg...namely NY and Providence. Could there be ANOTHER DVD or home video of this tour in the works??? I know I certainly would welcome it.

Maybe the band realized this early on in the editing process...which may explain reports that the Slane shows were taped as well as shows from the third leg...namely NY and Providence. Could there be ANOTHER DVD or home video of this tour in the works??? I know I certainly would welcome it.

Which night from Providence was taped?

The crowd shots are definately from both nites. I was in front on Bono on 6/6 and when you see the crowd sometimes you see me and my friend and sometimes you see 2 other girls! I haven't gotten to watch the whole thing so I haven't been able to figure out which song is which but the crowd is mixed up. Thats cool though - cause more people get to see themselves on the DVD!

------------------
...Its no secret that a liar won't believe in anyone else...

I saw cameras at both Providence shows, but they were more prominent on 10/31. A couple of the "big" TV network type cameras and a couple of smaller, hand-held types. One in particular was "shaddowing" Bono all night.

I'm not saying they were taping for another home video release, but taping WAS occuring for some particular reason. I've heard that Bono likes to tape himself to "critique" his performances...so that may explain it. But one cannot ignore the fact that the band feels they have been playing some extraordinary shows on this third leg...so I would say it IS within the REALM of possibility that another DVD of Elevation could be released if not now...for a future date well down the road perhaps? We'll see...

The more I watch it, the more inconsistencies with the alleged 6/6 date I pick up! My newest observation:

* THE FLY. Those in attendence both nights will remember that on 6/5 Bono did his "fly" imitation at the end of the song, i.e. pasting himself to the back of the videowall etc which gives the crowd the visual impression of, well, a fly on the wall! During the 6/6 show, and I DISTINCTLY remember this because I was in the GC section this occurred directly in front of, FleetCenter Security came onto the GA floor and cleared a path for Bono to "exit" the arena at the end of the song, i.e. Bono jumping down from the tip of the heart and "sprinting" through the crowd.

In fact, the DVD shows Bono jumping down off the tip at the end of The Fly, (which indicates 6/6) but the NEXT shot of Bono is of him sprinting UP THE HEART and PASTING HIMSELF TO THE BACK OF THE VIDEOWALL! (which happened on 6/5)! So, once again we have another example of 6/5 being conveniently edited into a 6/6 performance.

Another interesting note. When one watches the "Making of Elevation" snippet on the DVD, the narrorator comments on how "flat" the 6/5 crowd was and how there were too many lights and cameras. He then goes on to mention that for the 6/6 show, they got rid of the extra lighting from 6/5 and some of the cameras as well. Why is this interesting? Because he then states that due to these "changes" it would be impossible to use ANY of the 6/5 footage!!! It was 6/6 or nothing! Yet, as I and others here have pointed out, there is quite a bit of the 6/5 footage used in the DVD! I'm not sure who they think they are fooling and why they appear to be so emphatic that the DVD is exclusively from 6/6, but it is interesting to me none the less.

As for comments about the DVD feeling like a music video...I generally agree with that statement, especially the more I watch it. I don't think Hammish Hamilton did a very good job directing this at all. I think it shows, as he states in the DVD, that he directs on "feel". I don't think Hammish was "feeling" it for these shows. It is evident to me he was flying by the seat of his pants and well, he blew it for the most part. I hate the splicing of 6/5 footage with 6/6 footage to no end and I despise some of the obvious edits that took place. For instance, once such part I abhor is the transition from UTEOTW to Stuck. In the DVD you can clearly see that Bono is near the very tip of the heart at the end of UTEOTW, yet he magically appears with tambourine in hand on the main stage just a few quick milliseconds after the last note of UTEOTW. My mother-in-law (not a U2 fan and didn't go to the concert) picked up on this immediately, saying "wow, he must run REAL FAST". A very awkward moment and amateur editing in my opinion. I could go on...there are many other instances like the one I just mentioned but I'll be nice and spare everyone the details.

Suffice it to say, of ALL the concert videos U2 has released, I think this one is the worst yet!!! Go ahead, flame me...I can take it. But seriously, both the Popmart and Zoo TV home videos are magnificent! But, as Willie Williams says in the DVD, those tours were "...made for TV", so I won't make an apples to oranges comparison with this DVD to those video releases. So for comparisons sake I believe the closest thing to this tour in terms of astetics and "feel" is the JT tour, for which we have Rattle and Hum. And I'll tell that in my opinion Phil Joanu did a much better job with shooting the bands performance than Hammish Hamilton. In fact, R & H "feels" more like a true concert than the Elevation DVD, due to superior directing in my opinion. And as for Red Rocks...well that is just a true classic and incomparable to anything else U2 has put on video to date.

So, while I think this DVD fails to capture this amazing tours spirit, emotion, and brilliant band performances, it nevertheless is worth having. While possibly the worst live video U2 has released (NO FAULT OF THEIRS, MIND YOU) their are some nice moments in there. The DVD just suffers from bad direction and horrible back room editing. It would have been much better to have just let the cameras roll and to have released the WHOLE show, not parts of it. This DVD suffers from TOO MUCH DIRECTION and not enough spontaneity.

I totaly agree. Both the Zoo and Pop videos were much better at conveying the "you're actually there" feeling. Not to mention they included the full shows! (Except TTTYAATW in Sydney). They point out that Hammish Hamilton was used because of the way he shot them at the Brits. I saw that show and the highlight was definately "One". I CANNOT believe that song was left off the DVD.

I am happy we have a good DVD. But too bad its not a great DVD. I just hope its sooner and not later that they give us the earlier shows on DVD, and maybe, just maybe - SLANE!

While possibly the worst live video U2 has released (NO FAULT OF THEIRS, MIND YOU) their are some nice moments in there.

Why do you say the band is not at fault here? I think a band as powerful as they are has final say over product that is released with their sanction. If the DVD has U2's name on it, you can bet they had quite a bit of input as to the content of that product. They may indeed be the ones to blame.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

Martha: Point well taken.
smile.gif
Yes, ultimately our boys are responsible. However, what I meant by that statement was that the DVD doesn't suffer as a result of an inept or less than average performance by the band. Rather, the performance was great...the band DID their part. It was the poor video direction and editing that I believe ultimately causes the DVD to suffer in the end, which was overseen by Hammish Hamilton. U2 ultimately chose him to direct...so that decision is firmly on their shoulders...but in the end they HAD to work with what Hamilton gave them...which isn't much in my opinion. And after the considerable investment that I'm sure went into the project, I'm sure they couldn't just scrap it all together.

Originally posted by gherman:
So for all of you that were at both of the shows why do you think they cut out 'Mysterious Ways' and 'one'?

My guess, and this is purely a guess, is that when the band was reveiwing the material, they were not overly impressed with how Hammish Hamilton "captured" those songs on video...so they got the cutting room ax!

But really, who knows except those directly involved. Everything else is, well, speculation!

Originally posted by paul:
Too bad they didn't film NYC 10/27. Those of you who were there know what I'm talking about.

Paul, you just reminded me of another observation I made. Near the end of the "Making of Elevation" when the narrorator mentions that the first NY show at MSG on 6/17 was considered the best show on the first leg and one of U2's best ever, the narrorator takes a "cheap" shot at Boston!!! He says, directly after mentioning the NY concert, something to the effect of "...well, at LEAST there's Boston", implying that Boston is second rate!!! Maybe I'm overanalyzing that comment, but the way the announcer said it just made it sound to me, a "Boston" fan, a bit...elitist!!! I mean, even IF the NY show was the best...did the announcer have to mention it...just seems that they are rubbing it in Boston's noses at a time when Boston should be proud of the fact that it's city was chosen to film this event.

Just some thoughtless rambling on my part...maybe I'm just too paranoid about this NY thing...might have something to do with the Curse of the Bambino for us LONG suffering SOX fans...but I did find this comment intriguing!

Paul, you just reminded me of another observation I made. Near the end of the "Making of Elevation" when the narrorator mentions that the first NY show at MSG on 6/17 was considered the best show on the first leg and one of U2's best ever, the narrorator takes a "cheap" shot at Boston!!! He says, directly after mentioning the NY concert, something to the effect of "...well, at LEAST there's Boston", implying that Boston is second rate!!! Maybe I'm overanalyzing that comment, but the way the announcer said it just made it sound to me, a "Boston" fan, a bit...elitist!!! I mean, even IF the NY show was the best...did the announcer have to mention it...just seems that they are rubbing it in Boston's noses at a time when Boston should be proud of the fact that it's city was chosen to film this event.

Just some thoughtless rambling on my part...maybe I'm just too paranoid about this NY thing...might have something to do with the Curse of the Bambino for us LONG suffering SOX fans...but I did find this comment intriguing!

well if the idiots didn't prtest maybe that comment would have been left out

Originally posted by wireman:
well if the idiots didn't prtest maybe that comment would have been left out

I wasn't going to chime in here, but I will...

I don't see a whole heck of a lot of protesting going on in any "in the heart" crowd shots. Further, I was up in nosebleeds on 6/6 right over the heart, and never saw it from there either, at least not while U2 were onstage. Another urban legend?

Second, getting back to the original postings here, I definitely think the two night's tapings were merged. However, I think more of Gone is merged than at first glance. LSTB, take a look at the close-ups of Edge's guitar during that song...at least 2 different guitars are shown. I noticed that on VH-1 before I noticed it on the DVD. That points to night 1 and night 2 footage being bandied back and forth during that song, not just a splice of Edge's fit at the end. I know the "Making Of" clips say that all of Tuesday night's filming was overlit, but they obviously found some good stuff to use, I can't imagine trashing it all.

And LSTB, are you sure Bonocam was from 6/5? If you were in the heart on 6/9, I'm pretty certain it was from then, that was the only night he used it, and I see people I know from 6/9 in the heart through his cam.

I have to disagree here with the "worst ever" argument though. I think this DVD captures the night perfectly. I thought both the first and second nights in Boston were flat for a Boston crowd, and if you were at 3 and 4, you should know exactly what I mean. But, for the overall experience, I am pleasantly surprised at how well-rounded and true-to-performance this ended up being. It captures the technical aspects of the show perfectly (lighting, back stage screens, audience interaction). You can't really debate the setlist, because if you weren't at either 6/5 or 6/6, you'd never know otherwise, so only 18000+ or so of us should take offense. Ever think those songs were left off for space constraints?

I sincerely hope that none of Slane or post-9/11 shows make it to video. None of those capture the original intention of Elevation. Being in Slane with 80000+ people loses the intimacy that the show was all about. The requisite setlist edits from post-9/11 shows tragically altered the feel of the show. I don't think 20 years from now I'll want to pop the DVD in and see the blue screens during One and WO, as significant as it is now.

I'm pretty happy with the DVD myself, think it definitely captures the vibe of the 11 shows I managed to see. My only complaint is I had to buy a player to watch it!
wink.gif
But from what I've heard...others WAY outdid me in that category!

Amy

[This message has been edited by amybatt (edited 11-27-2001).]

I have enjoyed reading all the detective work in this thread. I do feel for some of you Bostonians that were lucky enough to go to the show(s) and now have to endure with having your memories cut up, repasted, or left on the editing room floor. I am sure that if they taped the Vancouver show and did the same thing, I would feel alittle upset. I guess you could say that I am the luckier fan that will not recognize the editing as easily as some of the Bostonian U2 nuts that went to the shows and have the DVD. It must be very hard to make a non-biased judgement about the DVD when your memories are on someone's floor. I am not saying that I will love this DVD no matter what when I have it, but at least, I am not the observer and the subject. It might make it easier for me to enjoy it more than you.

I made the stupid mistake of putting the DVD on my Wish List for Christmas and now I have to wait a month before I see the DVD. Up here in Canada, the DVD is not out until the 4th and MuchMusic air it on the 6th. AAAHHHHHHH!!!!

------------------
"I know that this is not goodbye." -Kite

amybatt:

I'm certain that the bonocam shot that opens the concert with Elevation is from 6/5. That was the night I was in the heart and I recognize many faces and of course, myself and my wife.

There is, however, a SECOND bonocam shot of the complete rendition of ELEVATION that appears as an easter egg...not sure if you have discovered that one yet or had the chance to access it. In order to uncover it you need to go to the end of the "Making Of" documentary, when the credits start to roll...on my DVD remote control I then pressed the STEP button...which functions as a key that fast forwards to the very next scene. PRESTO!!! The complete bonocam of Elevation appears!!! Anyways, while I viewed that only once, I do remember seeing faces I recognized from 6/5 in there as well...leading me to believe that was also of 6/5, not 6/6. Where did you hear/see that he only wore the bonocam on 6/9? So, I'm 99% sure that all the bonocam shots during Elevation are from 6/5...upon further reveiw, of course!

I respect your opinion on the DVD in general...I just don't agree. The more I watch it the more I dislike it. Feels like a music video and not a concert. Shoddy directing and even shoddier editing in my opinion. I really don't think it captures much of anything, to be honest.

But that is just my warped opinion...the DVD will go on to sell a bazillion copies and the majority of us fans will love it...probably rendering my criticism of it foolish!

Back
Top Bottom