Upon Further Reveiew...Elevation DVD...Truth in Labeling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think some of you need to get a grip.
Or, to put it another way: reality check time.
The reason that I don't have a fundamental problem with editing crowd shots from both nights is because the band did the same thing with the PopMart Live from Mexico City VHS release. They certainly did the same thing with Rattle and Hum. On R&H we see Bono spray painting "rock and roll stops the traffic" on a sculpture during All Along the Watchtower. Bono actually did that during Pride. The beloved intro to Streets with the red screen, blue flashes and clips of Larry hitting the cymbals, Edge chiming away and Bono strutting onto the stage with an upheld arm was shot on a sound stage in LA. There's a great account of Bono turning to Phil Joanou during the filming of that scene and saying, "what's my motivation ET?" (E.T. was Bono's petname for Speilberg protege Joanou.)
There are myriad other examples of "sneaky" editing in Rattle and Hum and it doesn't bother me in the least. That's what film-making is about. It will never capture a live performance perfectly.
Moreover, U2 does similar things with most of their live performances. Wide Awake in America wasn't recorded in America and the performance of A Sort of Homecoming was recorded during a soundcheck in an empty arena in Europe. The crowd noise was edited onto the performance later. That's a hell of a lot more dishonest than a crowd reaction shot being taken from a previous show.
The album release of U2-Live at Red Rocks features only one or two performances from Red Rocks!! The remainder of the show is from a performance in Germany a couple of months later!! (Obviously the video is entirely from Red Rocks.)
So get over it already and enjoy the dvd because this sort of thing is nothing new with U2.

MAP

p.s.- I'm completely with the folks bitching about the "cut" songs though. What the heck were they thinking when they cut One? It's part of the encore for God's sake. And People Get Ready, Pride and I Remember You would have been great additions to the show.

Another observation from the DVD - many of the crowd shots are from 6/5. If you notice in many shots there are quite a few people holding up signs, even people in the front. At the 6/6 show they didn't let signs into the heart, because of the taping. I know this for a fact because I had to give them my sign before I went in the heart on 6/6 and pick it up when I left and let me tell you there were alot of signs being stored that night.

Holy Cow Batman!!!
wink.gif

This is like a Where is Wally book! You guys are getting good at this. Keep up the observations.

------------------
"I know that this is not goodbye." -Kite

thought you guys would be interested in this. Got this from the U2NYC group regarding some songs that were completely missing from the DVD.

>>>I e-mailed Ned O'Hanlon @ Dreamchaser about why some of the songs from
June 6th weren't on the video. Here's his reply:

Thank you for the e-mail. We're pretty pleased with it ourselves.

Regarding the missing tracks. I've noticed quite a few comments about this on-line. A simple decision in the end. Space on the disc is the culprit. The band wanted PCM stereo for Disc 1 and this takes a huge amount of space.
Something had to give...

Ned<<<

I think the belief that Bono only wore the BonoCam on 6/9 is based on the fact that they showed it live on the arena screens that night. Doesn't mean he only wore it that night, of course.....

[This message has been edited by hibricc (edited 11-27-2001).]

Originally posted by Like someone to blame:
amybatt:
Where did you hear/see that he only wore the bonocam on 6/9?

Go look at any pictures of Bono with shades on from 6/5 and compare them to 6/9. You can actually see it mounted on his right corner of the shades. It's there 6/9, not 6/5. It is clearly visible.

And aren't I good...figuring out Pride, One, MW, PGR, were cut for space constraints. Stick with me kids, I'm on to something.
wink.gif

Haven't yet figured out much more than the on/off, skip buttons on the remote yet. Will need to check out the easter egg thingy.

AB

Originally posted by Like someone to blame:
Thanks, Judah. And to stress that point about truth in advertising even MORE, it has now come to my attention that apparently the bonocam shots are indeed from the 6/9 show...NOT 6/5 OR 6/6 as I originally believed!!! Hmmm...
Couple that with the recent revelation that others here picked up on that Edge's guitar for "Gone" changes color from scene to scene...it was RED on 6/5...but BLACK for the 6/6 show...because he had destroyed it on the 5th!
The plot thickens...Stay tuned...

Let me understand you then...You don't object to the content of the dvd, you only object to the fact that U2 weren't up front about some of the editing? It seems like a silly thing to get worked up about. Either it's a good dvd or it isn't.
And if you do object to the editing done than my original point stands: U2 do this sort of thing with all of their live releases. Therefore Live in Boston shouldn't be judged any differently.

And Judah, regarding Under a Blood Red Sky...almost everyone associates it with the concert at Red Rocks, including most of the U2 fans I know.
But regardless, my original point stands: U2 have always edited, mixed and matched their live performances and concert clips. It's nothing new. If you object to that on principle than you have to take issue with Red Rocks (edited out Send in the Clowns and cut a couple of songs), Rattle and Hum (dozens of examples), Live From Mexico City and Wide Awake in America. You can't say that Live From Boston is the worst U2 live release because of editorial decisions the band made with EVERY SINGLE MAJOR LIVE RELEASE IN THE BANDS HISTORY.

MAP

well the dvd is close to 8 gigs...so space has to be considered..and I'd rather have good audio than anything else...but I wodner..why didn't they just chuck the extra tracks as a bonus on disc 2?

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 11-27-2001).]

Good points, Mathewpage. Just one minor correction: the "Live at Red Rocks" album was actually titled "Under a Blood Red Sky." The picture on the cover is from Red Rocks, but they weren't really trying to sell the album as the concert from Red Rocks (obviously, the accompanying concert video was a different thing). The live album lists where where the songs were played/taped. That's why "Like someone to blame" has a point: if the DVD explicitly is trying to say in its packaging (and narration) that the concert is from 6/6, and parts of it is not, that is misleading. U2, the band we love, should not be selling us anything that's misleading...at least not on purpose.

Thanks, Judah. And to stress that point about truth in advertising even MORE, it has now come to my attention that apparently the bonocam shots are indeed from the 6/9 show...NOT 6/5 OR 6/6 as I originally believed!!! Hmmm...

Couple that with the recent revelation that others here picked up on that Edge's guitar for "Gone" changes color from scene to scene...it was RED on 6/5...but BLACK for the 6/6 show...because he had destroyed it on the 5th!

The plot thickens...Stay tuned...

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
If you object to that on principle than you have to take issue with Red Rocks (edited out Send in the Clowns and cut a couple of songs), Rattle and Hum (dozens of examples), Live From Mexico City and Wide Awake in America. You can't say that Live From Boston is the worst U2 live release because of editorial decisions the band made with EVERY SINGLE MAJOR LIVE RELEASE IN THE BANDS HISTORY.

Oh, and don't get started on overdubs, etc. I listened to the Boston '83 concert yesterday. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock from that concert ended up on UABRS. Well, hearing the song as it was played I'm really doubting if it is the same song. It sounds nothing like the version that ended on the UABRS album.

Oh, and All Along The Watchtower on Rattle & Hum? There have also been some edits and dubs on that track. But this is a whole other issue...

C ya!

Marty (who isn't implying that every U2 live track is tampered with)

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Back
Top Bottom