Updated iPod U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colinmchapman

The Fly
Thats a kick in the teeth! With all these nice fancy color iPod screens out I was able to think "well...atleast I still have the cool U2 edition" but nope...now they make a iPodU2 with a color screen and its $30 bucks cheeper. Ah well...thats life. I guess you can't always have the nicest and coolest things.

not bad, not bad

i did a search and came upon an ipod forum and there was a topic about the U2 ipod, and someone had this quote

"I think of the U2 IPod as a relationship shortcut. It automatically says "There's someone i don't wanna hang out with"."

i thought that was pretty funny, though i probably wouldnt want to hang out with someone who posts in an ipod forum either

Eh, that's not too bad. I don't need a color screen, and $20? Shit, the extra $20 I paid was well worth the extra months I got to spend with my beloved U2 iPod. :wink:

I think they are worth getting.
The battery life is all that annoys me....12 hours...my arse....I've never got that long, without the AA battery Add on (which is $100 over here)

But now I burn bootlegs from this tour as Audio CD's...I wish I had a discman :lol:

For once, I actually win at life (I use this phrase alot, btw. I'm not thinking my life is validated by the introduction of the colour U2 iPod).
I'm glad I cancelled my order on the original one now - and I finally have something to ask my family for for my b'day :up:

Ha, you can ask them to buy my old one off me if you want j/k. Im thinking i can sell my old one and with my apple store employee discount break even.

awww...i should have waited to buy one...but oh well, apple is always coming out with new stuff all the time, what can i do.

Well I got my 20 gig a couple months before the first U2 edition came out, and I felt screwed then. Now I just feel straight slapped in the face.

Oh well, I still love The Fly.

That's my ipod's name... :reject:

colinmchapman said:
Ha, you can ask them to buy my old one off me if you want j/k. Im thinking i can sell my old one and with my apple store employee discount break even.

I'll take it.

Why does everyone hate Apple because they upgrade their products? Doesn't every company do that on occasion?

Well I hate this particular case because no one at the store mentioned it. There were no signs. Apple did this almost covertly it seems and thats what peeves me. Had I known, I would have waited one week. They couldn't make it known one week in advanced? Its a good thing I haven't done anything yet with my Ipod at least I can exchange it and just pay the restocking fee.

Well it sucks that they not mention it before it will happen so people could make an informed decision before buying it. I don´t regret it because I have been enjoying my U2 ipod since february and still love it. Every time you buy some electronic device you have to take into consideration that an update will be out in a short amount of time (even weeks sometimes). However I do think it sucks for the guys you just bought one, if they had known better they could have decided if they wanted the ipod then or wait a few days for the color one.

Of course Apple wouldn't tell you as they need to get rid of their previous stock of the older ipods. Must be annoying though. I see it hasn't been released in UK yet.

Think they will ever stop selling U2 editions and bring out a new band? Hmmm might become more collectable in the future if they do :hmm:

But they do this all the time, any company that sells any product. Every version of their iPods are routinely updated, just like Apple computers, the Mac OS, etc, etc. You want them to put up a sign that says "please don't buy our products now! new ones will come out eventually". If you wanted to know when a new one was coming out, you could ask or check, but don't assume someone's going to go out of their way to tell you. The reason I haven't bought an iPod yet is b/c I've been waiting for the upgrades. I figure if I'm gonna drop over $200 on a tiny piece of electronics, I'd better do the research and wait for what I really want.

I like how the sample U2Pod is playing "One Tree Hill."

thesuburbskill said:
:ohmy: so its an ipod photo also?....
Yeah, they merged the iPod Photo with the normal iPod today. Now they all have color screens, can view photos, etc.
TheRooster said:
Well I hate this particular case because no one at the store mentioned it. There were no signs. Apple did this almost covertly it seems and thats what peeves me. Had I known, I would have waited one week. They couldn't make it known one week in advanced? Its a good thing I haven't done anything yet with my Ipod at least I can exchange it and just pay the restocking fee.
Apple is always really secretive about their product launches and upgrades, so the fact that this was unexpected was, uh, expected.

Really, I don't know why people get pissed about this. It was worth the money for you when you paid for it, so why isn't it now? What's changed?

typhoon said:

Really, I don't know why people get pissed about this. It was worth the money for you when you paid for it, so why isn't it now? What's changed?

Yes...and if people hate Apple so much, why buy the iPods in the first place?

Maybe its the fact everyone always wants the latest model. I used to lug around the 1st generation before my U2 ipod.

typhoon said:
I like how the sample U2Pod is playing "One Tree Hill."

Yeah, they merged the iPod Photo with the normal iPod today. Now they all have color screens, can view photos, etc.

Apple is always really secretive about their product launches and upgrades, so the fact that this was unexpected was, uh, expected.

I think at least in my case I have a problem because I only bought the Ipod a week ago. I waited to see if they would upgrade since it had been a while since Apple's last upgrade. I'm not saying that it isn't worth the money. But apparently to Apple it isn't since they both improved the U2 Ipod and lowered the price. And I'm not asking for my money back. I would have gladly paid the same price for this improved Ipod. In the end I will end up paying more anyway. I know that companies update and come out with products all the time. But perhaps a sign, much like they did for Tiger, that says that 6.28.05 the new Ipods will be released would have been nice say on 6.21.05 the day I bought the Ipod. Just because other companies do this doesn't mean I'm going to like it or that it is right. Its interesting how the sales associate can take the time to be nice and courteous while they are trying to sell me and Ipod warantee but not courteous enough to give me a heads up on the fact that a newer better and cheaper edition is coming out in a weeks time. But I guess from some of replies this is all my fault, the consumer. I should know better than to buy things or expect fairness. Damn my silly ideals.

"Come down off the cross
We could use the wood"

--Tom Waits

It's nobody's "fault." You got the product you wanted for the price you wanted. Sounds fair.

inmyplace13 said:
Well I got my 20 gig a couple months before the first U2 edition came out, and I felt screwed then. Now I just feel straight slapped in the face.

Oh well, I still love The Fly.

That's my ipod's name... :reject:

Mine is Bono :D

So the new U2 iPod is an iPod Photo? Fucking tight dude. Too bad I already HAVE a U2 iPod...though it's almost full...

it would be hilarious if I had two U2 iPods. I doubt dad will buy me another one though, so unless I come across $350 lying around somewhere...

inmyplace13 said:

haha...i remember when i bought my U2 ipod back in november i thought to myself, "yes...i'm glad i waited". but i also remember thinking, "wouldn't it be cool if the U2 ipod had a color screen too".

should i have waited another 8 months? no, it's ok, my ipod is good to me.

It's interesting Apple is mentioning Podcasts in the official iPod literature now....
No matter how many songs, podcasts, photos or audiobooks you bring with you, iPod U2 Special Edition remains small and light enough to carry in your pocket:
Go go Adam Curry.... :wink:

Well, I guess Apple has quietly phased out the non-colour models now. Notice how they quietly dropped the iPod Photo tag as well. If only they did the U2 iPod in 40 or 60GB flavours, my next iPod would be a larger colour U2 one from the one I have right now.

I'll be happy though with my 20GB U2 iPod for a while though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom