unlistenable bootlegs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mackemlad

The Fly
I have tried a few bootlegs from the Vertigo tour and find them pretty un listenable to be honest.

I have Manchester and Munich plus I have heard snippets of others.

The reason for this is

Not dodgy vocals
Not poor sound quality
Not mistakes
Not bad versions of the songs.

The reason is crowd noise.

The constant whooping just drowns out everything.

I have listened to earlier bootlegs Zoo Tv, Lovetown, Joshua Tree etc and it doesnt seem as much of a problem on these.

Whooping once seemed only an American trait now it has landed over here big style.

I can understand it during loud exciting songs say Vertigo for example but on quieter more reflective moments such as RTSS it totally spoils it.

So for all you whoopers out there Shut up please and let others enjoy the show too!!!!

Anyone else with me on this?

The Whoopers are just enjoying the show in there own way. Better to make noise than no noise.

But I know what you mean though...it's annoying when seemingly constant.

No way, I've been to loads of shows, and i whoop the whole way through, Ok maybe not during RTSS etc, but I sing througout. Its a concert for God's sake. Seeing the best band on the planet, the guys I've worshipped since I was 13, of course I'm going to crazy! Especially at a large show, ehen youre surrounded by loads of miserable bastards who are clearly only there to say they've "seen" U2 and have no interest in the band whatsoever. If i ever have anyof them near me, which is quite often, I make sure I whoop and scream right in their boring sad assd faces!!

Ugh. I hate screamers. And drunken fools -- who seem to be screamers too. :mad:

Yeah. I'm grumpy. But when I go to a show I wanna hear the band, not some idiot.

indra said:

Yeah. I'm grumpy. But when I go to a show I wanna hear the band, not some idiot.

In the good old days, you could basically wherever you wanted. Certainly that was the case back in the Zoo Tv days. We were sitting with some right old boring grumpy bastards so we just went and danced somewhere else.
This is supposed to be rock and roll for fucks sake.

Also, whenever ive been to a U2 concert, it doesnt matter how loud someone screams all you can here is the band anyway.

The worst one was the first Jersey gig when you could hear some bastard bitching about ticket prices etc during B's One speech...thank God I got another recording of the gig, better quality and you can't hear that jackass.

Eh. I'd rather let everyone who wants to go nuts at a U2 show go nuts.

Here's the real reason why there's more crowd noise in recent bootlegs:

The availability of cheap & easy recording tools, plus how-to instructions on the internet, have made it so any average joe who wants to try and tape a show can do it.

Is that bad? No--I think it's actually great. We now have bootlegs of almost every show. Also, more people who try to tape will eventually result in more experienced tapers down the road.

My suggestions:

1). When you see U2 live, enjoy them in whatever way you want. Don't waste the experience by not getting into it.

2). When it comes to bootlegs, enjoy all of these free bootlegs that some stranger put hard work into and then gave to you for nothing. :shrug:

Utoo said:
Here's the real reason why there's more crowd noise in recent bootlegs:

The availability of cheap & easy recording tools, plus how-to instructions on the internet, have made it so any average joe who wants to try and tape a show can do it.

1. This thread isn't attacking the recorders. The thread attacks the people who make it harder to have good recordings.

2. In my opinion, the reason that there is more crowd noise is because more 'superficial' fans/ people going to see U2 since its cool, are going to shows. After ATYCLB, U2 became more mainstream which meant more people who have barely listened to anything beneath the singles are going to shows. But that's just my opinion.

I agree with Utoo. When I go see a U2 show, I WANT the audience to get loud and crazy! I WANT to be able to hear from a new fan about how they had such a kickass time at a U2 concert! Do you have any idea how depressing it is to go see a show when the rest of the audience is so subdoed? I've been told that the European shows can get very loud and very crazy. I love that. :up:

Yes bootlegging is great, but, it's nothing compared to the real thing.

Cleasai said:
I agree with Utoo. When I go see a U2 show, I WANT the audience to get loud and crazy! I WANT to be able to hear from a new fan about how they had such a kickass time at a U2 concert! Do you have any idea how depressing it is to go see a show when the rest of the audience is so subdoed? I've been told that the European shows can get very loud and very crazy. I love that. :up:

Yes bootlegging is great, but, it's nothing compared to the real thing.

I agree 100%

CTU2fan said:
The worst one was the first Jersey gig when you could hear some bastard bitching about ticket prices etc during B's One speech...thank God I got another recording of the gig, better quality and you can't hear that jackass.

I have that one and I had to stop listening to it because of that idiot guy :mad:. That's the only bootleg I never finished listening to because of someone in the crowd. It wasn't just during One, but I think it got so bad at that point that I couldn't take in anymore :lol:.

The point I was trying to make was not about crowd noise. Crowd noise is a fantastic and essential part of any live concert experience.I get excited and scream & sing as much as anyone!

The point was about the increased amount of whooping that is more apparent now than on bootlegs from previous tours.Crowd noise does not make boot legs hard to listen too. Whooping does!.

Download the Munich bootleg and you will hear my point.

I must be missing something...what's the difference between whooping, screaming, and screeching? I think I know what you mean actually...when somebody right near the taper goes "whooooooo" throughout the songs? That is pretty annoying, along with close screamers. Crowd noise is cool though, take 1990-01-10 Rotterdam, very loud crowd, singing, but none of the individual screamers that ruin the tape.

Ive got news for you most of the recordings from earlier tours came off a soundboard...the recordings from this tour did not and I dont think the people in the crowd care if you are listening to a bootleg of the show or not, I am glad a U2 crowd is loud....this isnt a lounge show.

On the one hand, I want to respect the tapers' space and not ruin their recording.

But on the other hand, am I just supposed to assume there might be a taper near me and be quiet, just in case?

On the third hand, I am physically incapable of not cheering, yelling, screaming, whooping, whatevering when I'm at a U2 concert. I like to express my excitement and joy.

indra said:

:tsk:

Drunken fools :heart:

CTU2fan said:
We can't listen to this one either, and we were at that show! :mad: Where did you find a better recording? BTW, we're in CT too. :wave:

~Liz (Sarah's Mom)

Back
Top Bottom