Unforgettable moments in Sarajevo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
I found these sets of pictures from Popmart in Sarajevo really great. They make me wonder what must have been that single concert for those people, so hopeless and tired of a bloody war that destroyed so many lives and so many dreams. That Popmart concert was certainly like dream come true for those fans. I hope they can get a chance of seeing U2 again in the near future.

I hope they show up here.

set7.jpg

set8.jpg

set6.jpg

I think this is the most difficult of the Sarajevo pictures to grasp:

u2sar.jpg

I'm from the Balkans, I was there during part of the war, and I don't think I could really put into words what it's like to see these pictures. There's such a joy for the human spirit, but there's also an indeterminable sadness because those of us who know Sarajevo know that it is but a shell of its former self - divisive and painful and not really free anymore.

The old Sarajevo lives somewhere. I hope I see it again one day. :heart:

It is painfully true that while so many of us in this forum argue about this album and that album and Bono's look this era against that era, that a painfully beautiful post like this one would go throught this forum like a whisper...thank you Maria for your sensitivity through these beautiful pics and moments for the people of Sarajevo, and Anitram, for sharing your story...this is the true power of the human spirit, and what U2's music does in reaching down and lifting the spirit that is crushed by the weight of human hate.

Chris

That was a great post anitram, thanks for sharing. We all know how much U2 wanted to go to Sarajevo, to take their music to people they knew were in need of some joy after so terrible and dark period. It saddens me what you said about the city being "divisive and painful and not really free anymore." I don?t know what else to say, really..

and Chris, thank you. I?m glad your liked it. :)

This a very human and heart touching thread, it makes me think on all that I have and I don't fully apreciate, thanks Teresa, Anitram and Spanisheyes, for your great posts.

There are some more pictures there...the owner said "You can copy my photos and use them freely if you want I won't mind." So I think is no problema if I post them. They are U2 related.

Some pictures were taken before the show and from a bus...I thought a lot before posting them, after reading anitram?s post. I hope I?m not hurting you anitram, with these pictures. If I am, I apologize in advance. It?s just that they touch me deeply, believe me, and as rafmed said, it makes us think in all we have that we don?t give the true value. Remembering Marvin Gaye?s words...

War is not the answer
For only love will conquer hate

set4.jpg

set5.jpg

Some pictures taken from a bus:

set1.jpg

set2.jpg

I remember those Balcan wars - i was 13 at the time (which i guess helped me from fully realising what was going on and fully grasp it and so avoiding the horror mentally) when those days of war came to Slovenia.
I remember being vaguely nervous, maybe a bit scared, constantly home, listening to the radio, watching TV, but more than anything looking up at the sky and waiting if the siren (announcing air raid) would be heard - and sort of constanly being prepared to make a run for the nearest shelter.

Luckily, we never had to go into the shelter and the war ended fastest in here, though there were casualties. :(

I can't imagine what Croats or Bosnians had to go through all those years of pain and hurt...and it still baffles me that ex-neighbours who once used to co-exist peacefully (before nationalist politicians came along) could go against each other so brutally and violently.

As for the show - i remember it was broadcasted on Slovene radio and my brother was taping it - i remember there was this excitement in the air whenever i heard the radio annoucements for the broadcast. I wasn't into Pop at the time, so i wasn't that interested, but i went up into my brother's room and he said "Bono just said fuck the past kiss the future"! and i thought that was really uplifting.

Years later, i was lucky to hear this legendary show on CD and i got goosebumps at the start of Even better... as i waited for that particular line. And what an emotional show it is- one of the best audiences i ever heard - and i think that the Pride/I still haven't found.../All i want is you trio is probably the hardest thing i ever listened to, regarding U2. It's heart breaking as you can just feel how much Bono wants to give his full to the crowd, yet he can't.
The most moving moment of the show IMO is Stand by me. :(
Also i really like how Edge turns Sunday bloody Sunday from the angry rebellious song to almost a lullaby with his sweet voice. And, i think one of the most memorable versions of One, particulary the speech at the end and the "Sarajevo! City of the future!" calls and the Unchained melody addition.

U2girl, thank you for your depoiment on your personal experiences from those hard times. And also I thank NicaMom. I cannot even imagine how a war in my country or my city would be, thank God.

You also pointed out your highlights from the Popmart concert and I agree with you. I would like to add the very best performance of Last Night on Earth ever. It?s a standout in that concert, IMO.

Thank ya?ll for your impressions about a memorable moment on U2?s career.

:up:

Last edited:
Follower, your threads and posts are always compassionate and well-articulated. Thanks for this thread. :hug:

I agree that the Sarajevo concert makes the entire PopMart tour worth it. I often listen to that concert in my car and I get chills every time the crowd sings "Stand By Me." Thinking of what those people survived, I get emotional and my heart goes out to them. Maybe in a small way, by supporting the band U2, those of us who are fans are helping to support peace and tolerance.

I, too, hope that the people of Sarajevo get to experience U2 again real soon.

Thank you HeartlandGirl for your gentle words. Love for U2 is what has moved me thru the barriers of a foreign language. And I try to do my best. So I trully appreciate your feedback. :up:

I also agree with KhanadaRhodes?s statement.

Thanks friends. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom