Unforgettable Fire - "Winter" or "Summer" ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UF... a "summer" or "winter" album?

• Summer

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Winter

Votes: 28 82.4%

• Total voters

One Tree Still

Acrobat
I've always fancied UF as a "winter" album, but my pal thinks it's more of a "summer" album - what do you all think?

(He thinks of JT as a "winter" album. He's obviously high on drugs w/ all the desert/dust/sun references in JT, but what-ev)

I said winter...Had to ponder that one for a moment. The album is so atmospheric and I think it's really uplifting in the middle of winter when I want to scream for being inside so much because of the cold weather.

Definitely winter...if for no other reason than the first few words Bono utters on the album.

"and your heart it beats so slow, through the rain and driving snow..."

sulawesigirl4 said:
Definitely winter...if for no other reason than the first few words Bono utters on the album.

Good point! I hadn't even thought of that one.

sulawesigirl4 said:

Exactly. My very first thought and that's why my first "season" i thought of was winter.

:)

But then there's also very "summery" references in the lyrics...

1. Indian Summer Sky

2. "...slideshow, seaside town, coca cola, football, radio..." (from Promenade)

3. "on this the longest day..." (Summer Solstice?)

4. 4th of July

Even so, I just think of it as a "winter" album - maybe because I remember listening to it on the way to Whistler, BC one time.

Hmmm...Well, even though there ARE references to summer, for some reason I think the overall sound of the album has a more wintery feel.

Indian Summer Sky is my traditional "listen to when the snow is melting and the sun is coming out" song.

I put summer. Then again, I relate pretty much everything to summer... you've got the hot, wild summer sunny days, and then the dreamy slow expansive summer nights. Winter is just winter.

I think of UF as a late fall-early winter album. Novemberish. It's not the kind of album you want to groove to when it's 90 degrees out.

Back
Top Bottom