Underrated songs from each album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANZAI

War Child
U2 has a lot of songs that are overseen or disliked by most people. This is my list of underrated songs from each album.

BOY
Underrated: An Cat Dubh/Into the heart

OCTOBER
Underrated: Tomorrow

WAR
Underrated: Drowning Man

UNFORGETTABLE FIRE
Underrated: Promenade

JOSHUA TREE
Underrated: Red Hill Mining Town

RATTLE AND HUM
Underrated: Heartland

ACHTUNG BABY
Underrated: Acrobat

ZOOROPA
Underrated: The Wanderer

POP
Underrated: Mofo

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND
Underrated: When I look at the world

HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB
Underrated: Yahweh

I have to disagree with some of your selections for "underrated" songs. I generally see Tomorrow considered as one of the three classic/memorable October songs (along with Gloria and the title track), and Promenade, Heartland, Acrobat, and Mofo are very popular amongst those who know them. I've only seen a few detractors.

As far as underrated goes, I'd select the following:

Boy: A Day Without Me (I rarely see this one mentioned, despite the fact it was Boy's lead single! A great song and it should be brought back live.)
October: Scarlet (Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful song.)
War: The Refugee (Damnit, I enjoy this song. I don't see why it has so many haters.)
The Unforgettable Fire: 4th Of July and Elvis Presley And America (Not only do I appreciate the stories behind their creation, but I enjoy them both too.)
The Joshua Tree: Mothers Of The Disappeared (I've been surprised to find this song has its share of detractors as I think it's quite haunting.)
Rattle And Hum: When Love Comes To Town (It seems to have a large share of detractors, at least here, and I cannot fathom why. It's a great song, made even greater by being performed with a legend.)
Achtung Baby: Blah ... next?
Zooropa: The Wanderer (See WLCTT.)
Passengers: The whole album, especially Slug, one of the best U2 songs ever.
Pop: Wake Up Dead Man (This was a bit of a struggle, as I don't recall seeing much hate for Pop songs that I think are good. But WUDM is a song I think shouldn't be ignored at all, and it particularly annoys me that some of the Christian community writes it off, as they're the ones who most need to listen to it!)
ATYCLB: When I Look At The World (Best song on the album.)
HTDAAB: Crumbs From Your Table and One Step Closer (Second and third best songs on the album.)

For me these are the songs that I think are underrated by the public in general not just this forum. I think these are songs that could be matched up to the greats. Not equal but matched up.

BOY
Underrated: Another Time Another Place

OCTOBER
Underrated: Is That All?

WAR
Underrated: Drowning Man

UNFORGETTABLE FIRE: Underrated:Wire

JOSHUA TREE
Underrated: In God's Country

RATTLE AND HUM
Underrated: When Love Comes To Town

ACHTUNG BABY
Underrated: Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World

ZOOROPA
Underrated: Babyface

POP
Underrated: Do You Feel Loved

Underrated: When I look at the world

Underrated: Original of The Species

Boy: Shadows and Tall Trees

October: Rejoice

War: Seconds

The Unforgettable Fire: Indian Summer Sky

The Joshua Tree: In God's Country

Rattle and Hum: Hawkmoon 269

Achtung Baby: Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World

Zooropa: Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car

Pop: Do You Feel Loved

ATYCLB: When I Look at the World

HTDAAB: All Because of You

Boy: Another Time, Another Place

October: Is That All?

War: Drowning Man

The Unforgettable Fire: Wire

The Joshua Tree: Mothers of the Disappeared

Rattle and Hum: Heartland

Achtung Baby: So Cruel

Zooropa: Babyface

Pop: The Playboy Mansion

ATYCLB: Grace

HTDAAB: One Step Closer

:drool:

Boy: Stories for boys

October: Rejoice

War: Surrender

UF: Promenade

JT: One tree hill

RaH: Heartland

AB: So Cruel

Zooropa: Babyface

Pop: If you wear that velvet dress

ATYCLB: In a little while

Bomb: One step closer

boy:another time another place, into the heart

october:i through a brick through a window

war:like a song

the unforgettable fire: indian summer sky

joshua tree: none

rattle and hum: silver and gold

achtung baby: none

zooropa: zooropa

pop: if god will send his angels

all that you can't leave behind: when i look at the world

how to dismantle an atomic bomb: miracle drug

Axver, I'm gonna pick on your post, because yours has commentary:

Axver said:
War: The Refugee (Damnit, I enjoy this song. I don't see why it has so many haters.)
:up:! The first time I listened to War, I was like "OMGYES!" So much energy, impossible not to dance to. So what if it's not a super deep song with a lyrical tapestry, it's fun, and sometimes we need fun songs.

The Joshua Tree: Mothers Of The Disappeared (I've been surprised to find this song has its share of detractors as I think it's quite haunting.)
I had trouble getting into it mainly because Exit is so powerful, that it would leave me feeling slightly bewildered, and then I'd only give MOTD a halfhearted listen.

Pop: Wake Up Dead Man (This was a bit of a struggle, as I don't recall seeing much hate for Pop songs that I think are good. But WUDM is a song I think shouldn't be ignored at all, and it particularly annoys me that some of the Christian community writes it off, as they're the ones who most need to listen to it!)
Wonderful song, and oddly the things some Christians don't like about it are the things I like best about it. People do get angry and frustrated at God, and should have every right to express it. To quote the movie The Apostle, "Sometimes my son talks to God, and sometimes he yells at God."
In my opinion (and I have quite a bit of biblical knowledge/religious background), I always saw the whole "Listen to the words" bit as being God talking back, saying "Shut up listen to me for a change", the "words" in question being the bible, and God's voice, and all of the other sounds mentioned being the worldy distractions that keep you from hearing God.

HTDAAB: Crumbs From Your Table and One Step Closer (Second and third best songs on the album.)
I agree about One Step Closer, but I still cannot stand Crumbs From Your Table. I think what bothers me most about it is the melody, I just find it too swingy, and somehow too cheery. U2 shouldn't write songs while drunk, is all I'm saying.

I love threads like this!

Boy: a day without me (i agree with axver, its never really talked about, and i dont think they have played it live? not on any of the more recent tours anyway)

October: tomorrow (the one song off october i have only just started listening to, and i cant believe ive been skipping it, its so different from alot of u2. i like how irish it sounds)

War: the refugee (would be nice if we heard it more often given the ignorance people have towards refugees in the uk at the moment)

The Unforgettable Fire: a sort of homecoming (i kind of think it should have been released as a single)

The Joshua Tree: red hill mining town (such a shame bonos voice couldnt handle doing it every night on tour, i think it would be amazing to hear live!)

Rattle and Hum: van diemens land (the only song with edge on lead vocals that i really like)

Achtung Baby: trying to throw your arms around the world (i know alot of people hate this, but i think its just a generally nice song - not one of their best, but has that sort of makes you smile factor!)

Zooropa: lemon (sounds quite different from everything else they've done, and it should be appreciated more!)

Pop: wake up dead man (quite haunting..'im alone in this world, and a fucked up world it is too' and i always appreciate the odd profanity from bono!)

ATYCLB: when i look at the world (i love the guitar part to this, and the beginning)

HTDAAB: a man and a woman (a proper love song from a proper band! not some 'wonderful tonight' sort of thing, but a love song in the same vein as with or without you that feels quite bitter at the same time..why do people not like it?!)

I don't think such a thing as an underrated U2 song exists
the only one I could think that could almost be one would be Rejoice

partygirlvox said:
I love threads like this!

HTDAAB: a man and a woman (a proper love song from a proper band! not some 'wonderful tonight' sort of thing, but a love song in the same vein as with or without you that feels quite bitter at the same time..why do people not like it?!)

:yuck: I hate this song, I think it's way too cheesy :down:

WalkOn21 said:

Agree. It puzzles me how underrated this song is, because I think it's the song that captures the message of the album. If there's one song on POP that criticizes modern society, it's The Playboy Mansion.

I think the people who criticize this song (and pop, for that matter) are the ones that dont get it, dont get that its being ironic.

heartland is way too underrated

it is actually possible to not like The Playboy Mansion while getting the irony of the lyrics
irony doesn't all of a sudden turn this song - that just sounds quite mediocre to me - into a great track

Boy: A Day Without Me, Shadows And Tall Trees, The Ocean

October: I Threw A Brick Through A Window, I Fall Down, Is That All

War: Surrender, Red Light, Two Hearts Beat As One

The Unforgettable Fire: 4th of July, A Sort Of Homecoming

Joshua Tree: Trip Through Your Wires, Red Hill Mining Town, Mothers Of The Dissapeared

Rattle And Hum: none

Achtung Baby: none

Zooropa: Some Days Are Better Than Others

Pop: If You Wear That Velvet Dress, Do You Feel Loved

ATYCLB: New York, Wild Honey

HTDAAB: One Step Closer

Boy: A Day Without Me (love the lyrics...)

October: Scarlett (so beautiful... why does nobody talk about it either?)

War: Drowning Man (I love this song, it' means a lot to me... And nobody talks about it...)

The Unforgettable Fire: Promenade (No particular reason)

The Joshua Tree: One Tree Hill (can't get enough of this song) and Mothers...

Rattle and Hum: Van Diemen's Land (it makes me feel good I don't know why...)

Achtung Baby: So Cruel (I don't think it's underrated but it's the most underrated of this album)

Zooropa: Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car (No doubt! Too much people seem to hate this song...)

Pop: Wake Up Dead Man (nobody talks about it!)

ATYCLB: When I Look at the World (love it love it love it)

HTDAAB: A Man And A Woman (I don't particulary love the song but I don't understand why almost everybody hates it...)

Boy: Shadows and Tall Trees (great lyrically, mature for a young band)

October: (I don't own it, so it wouldn't be fair knowing only half the songs)

War: Seconds (I think it's catchy, and I like the lyrics, and Edge singing has a nice change of pace)

UF: Unforgettable Fire (superb vocals by Bono)

JT: One Tree Hill (I don't think RHMT is underrated, I think it's just missed since it's not live - OTH is one of U2's top 15 songs)

RH: Hawkmoon 269 (great live on LoveTown with Bono singing so well towards the end)

Achtung Baby: none are underrated, MAYBE Love is Blindness

Zooropa: Dirty Day

Pop: [see October]

ATYCLB: none - I don't like any of the tracks after the first four, frankly

HTDAAB: Vertigo (underrated in here, I think the popularity makes people WANT to dislike it, but I really like the guitar, and it's SO much better live, love the snippet of SFB in Chicago DVD, and I too scold people for saying it's the only song they know by U2:wink:)

Rattle & Hum - All I Want Is You :hug:

Achtung Baby - Love Is Blindness :love:

Zooropa: Stay :flirt:

POP - If God Will Send His Angels :angel:

ATYCLB - The Ground Beneath Her Feet :dancing:

HTDAAB - Love & Peace :bonodrum:

BOY
Underrated: Out of Control

OCTOBER
Underrated: Scarlet

WAR
Underrated: Seconds

UNFORGETTABLE FIRE
Underrated: Promenade or A sort of Homecoming

JOSHUA TREE
Underrated: Where the streets have no name... I know it's not really underrated, but it's just such a great song!

RATTLE AND HUM
Underrated: Heartland

ACHTUNG BABY
Underrated: Acrobat

ZOOROPA
Underrated: The album itself is underrated, but I'd say Bayface

POP
Underrated: This whole album is very underrated! If God will send his angels...

Underrated: Kite or Grace

Underrated: Yahweh

A lot of people are listing Another Time Another Place for Boy, and I'd agree with that. Way cool song.

Fire, despite being a single, is not a song I see a lot of people talk about, when really I think it's one of the best songs from October.

I don't think The Refugee is a great song, but it's not nearly as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, so I'd say that's probably the most underrated song from War.

Indian Summer Sky has always been one of my favourites from UF, but no one ever talks about it. It's not that it's hated; it's simply overlooked.

Trip Through Your Wires is xtremely underrated. I don't know why everyone hates this song. I've always liked it. It's got the sorta bluesy feel that some of the R&H stuff has. Also, I think the studio version of Bullet is often overlooked for the admittingly superior ZooTV version. It may not be as good as the live versions, but Bullet is still a great song, even on the album.

Heartland is NOT underrated, not around here anyway. To the general public, possibly yea. Really, I don't know what is underrated from Rattle and Hum. I guess I underrate the entire album 'cause I don't listen to it much :shrug: Van Dieman's Land is nice, and When Love Comes to Town is better than people give it credit for. Just the fact that U2 did a song with B.B. King is way cool.

From the perspective of the masses (and the band itself?), Acrobat is clearly underrated. However, I don't think much of anything from Achtung is underrated here. Maybe Tryin', but it seems the majority of fans here like it. One, though held to pretty high standards among critics and Rolling Stone lists, has garnered a lot of hate around here, I think mostly from overexposure. But it's really a fantastic song.

I'd say the general public doesn't even know Zooropa exists, but here I'd say the underrated song is Babyface, or maybe Daddy's Gonna Pay. The Wanderer, too.

Pop is underrated by everyone ever. No, really, probably the most underrated songs are Miami and The Playboy Mansion. They frequently make people's least favourite song lists, when really I think they are in U2's top 50.

ATYCLB is underrated here as a whole, particularly Stuck and New York. New York is one of the best songs on the album, yet most people here hate it. WIALTW seems to get a lot of praise here, so I wouldn't really call it underrated.

HTDAAB...I'm gonna say A Man and a Woman. Again, I think it's one of the album's better songs despite the fact that the majority seem to detest it. I don't think Vertigo gets nearly enough praise either. The energy in that song is amazing.

Boy - Into the heart
October - don't know really
War - Surrender
Unforgettable fire - Wire
Joshua tree - Mothers of the disappeared
Rattle and hum - van Diemen's land
Achtung baby - So Cruel
Zooropa - Dirty day
Pop - If God will send his angels
ATYCLB - When i look at the world
HUT DAB - none

Boy- An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
October- Tomorrow
War- Two Hearts Beat As One
The UF- The Unforgettable Fire (one of u2's all-time greatest)
Joshua Tree- Exit
R&H- Hawkmoon
Achtung Baby- trying to throw your arms around the world
zooropa- babyface
pop- do you feel loved
atyclb- new york
htdaab- all because of you

Boy- A Day Without Me
October- eh..i cant give too much opinion on this, i dont listen much
War- Drowning Man
UF- uhh i just started getting into this album, so see October
Joshua Tree- ooo maybe..Mothers of the Disappeared
R&H- When Love Comes to Town
Achtung Baby- tryin' to throw your arms around the world (love it live)
zooropa- (i dont like babyface or daddy's gonna pay) but i do think wanderer just like when love comes to town is way too underrated on these boards
pop- hmm....do you feel loved? (i like it alright)
atyclb- STUCK IN A MOMENT (why dost thou hatest it so?)
htdaab- a man & a woman (though it is slowly getting some love on these boards)

Boy- A Day WIthout Me, I agree with Axver, this should defianately be brought back live, its my favourite track off Under A Blood Red Sky video. SHadows and Tall Trees!
October- Scarlet, this song is so beautiful, I love it!!
War-The Refugee and Drowning Man, I'm not a huge fan of War, but I think these two are inderrated but are two of my faves.
The Unforgettable Fire- Elvis Presley and AMerica.
The Joshua Tree- Trip Through Your Wires, I love the "you...I'm waiting For you, you...you set my desire, you...." Love iT!!!!!
Rattle and Hum- I cant believe how unpopular Helter Skelter seems to be, I never realised..I think its a great opener to the album.
Achtung Baby- This is my favourite album of all time, and I'm happy to see that it is generally loved here too, not sure which songs are underrated, but I love trying to throw your arms and as Ive noticed that it isnt loved here by that many, i will pick that one.
Zooropa, I will say The Wanderer as I think it is one of the greatest songs of all time, and isn't known by enough people.
Pop, Wake Up dead man and Miami
ATYCLB- When I Look At The World, and TGBHF
HTDAAB-Crums from your table
But the most underrated music by U2 is everything from PASSENGERS!! I love everything on this album, ok most people like miss sarajevo, but Slug and your blue room are perfect also!! Criminally underrated!!!

Back
Top Bottom