Uncut - David Quantick.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boozyuzi

Acrobat
Laughable review of the 3 remasters in this month's Uncut.

Boy & October get 2 stars and War gets 3.

"the band come over as a second rate Scars"

"I certainly will never be able to empty my mind of it's idiot chorus and specifically a night at the Brixton Academy where a thousand sweating bozo's sang "how long ?/ how long must we sing this song" until presumably dogs attacked them"

"Taken as individual albums, then, this early trio don't really stand up as well as, say, Coldplay's first three albums "

What a clown and a disgrace that Uncut let him get away with it.

Subscription cancelled.:hmm:

i like Uncut, but it looks like this guy's just trying to rewrite music history :eyebrow:

You obviously are unaware of David Quantick and his history as a music writer.

And no slagging off of Scars either! :mad:

*onlypersoninhistoryofInterferencewhoknowswhotheyare*

is it meant to be tongue in cheek then?

and i hope he didn't spell "its" "it's" in the actual article tut tut

Just read the article. He really doesn't give any good comments out on Boy or October. but does recognise the brilliance of songs like NYD and SBS when talking about War.
Why does he have to mention Coldplay 3 times?? Purely to annoy the u2 fans that are reading I guess! He ends by saying: "A short time later they contacted Brian Eno. Better would be to follow, and so, too, would worse" :lol::down:

Mark Blake of Q gives a more favourable view of Boy and October (no War review in here) admitting that their 2nd album was somewhat lacking (partly due to Bono's loss of the original lyrics) yet says "the sentiment behind Rejoice and With A Shout seems courageously out of step with the era".

:up:

Taken as individual albums, then, this early trio don't really stand up as well as, say, Coldplay's first three albums

have to say i find that comment a bit silly, i mean it's hard to compare really, the albums are like 20-odd years apart, different eras, different mood, different influences re. contemporaries at the time, different technology, different... lots of things!

As for the rest of the thread, who cares? It's a music writer's opinion. I've not seen it written anywhere in law that everyone has to like U2, or write flattering reviews of them. And Quantick has never written a flattering review of them, why should he start now? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom