uncool things bono has done in the past year,s. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2002, 05:05 PM   #21
you are what you is

Local Time: 10:21 AM
he'll never be as cool as Adam though

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Old 04-06-2002, 05:36 PM   #22
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by NicaMom:
Flying FuManchu, what did Bono say?

From MTV news:

Bono's introduction of singer Patti Smith at a pre-recorded tribute at a music magazine awards ceremony in London last week apparently raised the punk-icon's blood pressure a bit.

Smith was present to accept a lifetime achievement award. According to a report in Britain's "NME," Bono referred to Ms. Smith as a "sister, lover, and mother."

Smith took umbrage at the description, saying as she accepted the award, "I'm not your mother, Bono. Do your own dirty work. F**k you."

Bono told 'NME," that he expected "nothing less" from Smith, and that "she never let's you down."

U2's spokesperson added, "It's not a lovers tiff. He's still a fan."

Smith later explained to "NME," "I just thought it was presumptuous. I like to be considered a person; I'm not up for grabs."

Old 04-06-2002, 05:40 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:
From MTV news:

Bono's introduction of singer Patti Smith at a pre-recorded tribute at a music magazine awards ceremony in London last week apparently raised the punk-icon's blood pressure a bit.

Smith was present to accept a lifetime achievement award. According to a report in Britain's "NME," Bono referred to Ms. Smith as a "sister, lover, and mother."

Smith took umbrage at the description, saying as she accepted the award, "I'm not your mother, Bono. Do your own dirty work. F**k you."

Bono told 'NME," that he expected "nothing less" from Smith, and that "she never let's you down."

U2's spokesperson added, "It's not a lovers tiff. He's still a fan."

Smith later explained to "NME," "I just thought it was presumptuous. I like to be considered a person; I'm not up for grabs."

Jesus Christ! What a bitch! Nobody talks to Bono like that!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com
Old 04-06-2002, 06:12 PM   #24
New Yorker

That's an excerpt of what he said in that speech.

If people want to know... Bono said that after the Joshua Tree came out, Smith gave him a book as a gift, and a compliment. I think she really liked that album. I think she's on good terms with Bono IMO but some people are sensitive, and the speech did sound emabarassing although I'm sure he wanted to make it sound cool. Bono and U2 seem like huge fans of hers and I don't think Bono would appreciate negativity towards her.

Keep in mind, Patti Smith was not appreciative of the award in the first place (so she might have been in a bad mood) b/c she said it made it seem like her work of the present day wasn't relevant b/c they were trying to glorify her past and make her seem like an artifact. That was the gist of what I thought she was saying. Either way she was pissed. PJ Harvey also made a big deal about how Smith was her idol/ influence. I don't think she was appreciative of the butt kissing. Felt bad for Bono though.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

[This message has been edited by Flying FuManchu (edited 04-06-2002).]
Old 04-06-2002, 06:37 PM   #25
Banned

Location: my lovenest / in bed with Larry, Bono, Larry, :heart: Adam, Larry, Edge, *swoon* kisses and THUD !!!
what a bitch-whore

------------------
The FIRST and ONLY Banana
Old 04-06-2002, 07:30 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I have a recording of the band playing in NYC prior to the Elevation Tour, and during one break, Bono talks about how they were influenced by The Ramones, Patti Smith, and the CBGB's. It seems like he's a BIG fan of Patti's...I know that if I was giving a speech about U2, I'd probably sound uncool and dorky too, you know?

------------------

Old 04-06-2002, 07:42 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:21 AM
Patti Smith and her band were on David Letterman a few nights ago and they performed Dancing Barefoot. I didn't care much for her vocals at all.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.
Old 04-06-2002, 07:47 PM   #28
War Child

Local Time: 08:21 AM
I thought New Day kicked ass I know it was kinda corny, but seriously, I liked it, Bono's 2nd line is really nice, and hey, gone til Novermber is a b side, I dunno.........

Oh, and nice attempt on shit stirring there mister shawn voe
Old 04-06-2002, 07:50 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by lazyboy:
I thought New Day kicked ass I know it was kinda corny, but seriously, I liked it, Bono's 2nd line is really nice, and hey, gone til Novermber is a b side, I dunno.........

Oh, and nice attempt on shit stirring there mister shawn voe

I'm not a big rap fan, but Wyclef Jean seems cool. I really like "Gone Til November." It's got soul.

Oh, and my favorite part of "New Day" is when Wyclef says, "Introducing Bono straight outta Dublin!" I don't know why. I just like it!

Have you seen the video? Bono, baby, I love ya, but that hat...uh uh! lmao...

------------------

Old 04-06-2002, 07:55 PM   #30
War Child

Ya wertsie I like that bit too, and hehe, yeah, that video scared the shit outta me to be honest!
Old 04-06-2002, 07:58 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie:

I'm not a big rap fan, but Wyclef Jean seems cool. I really like "Gone Til November." It's got soul.

Oh, and my favorite part of "New Day" is when Wyclef says, "Introducing Bono straight outta Dublin!" I don't know why. I just like it!

Have you seen the video? Bono, baby, I love ya, but that hat...uh uh! lmao...

no the best part of new day is when wyclef says 'all mah poor people sing for me now'.
bono abruptly stops singing.
i personally really like that song.

------------------
pssst: gravity pushes.
Old 04-06-2002, 08:01 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Ya wertsie I like that bit too, and hehe, yeah, that video scared the shit outta me to be honest!
Me too! lmao...Hey, new thread idea alert!

------------------

Old 04-06-2002, 08:03 PM   #33
War Child

"Midnight she is on the street she cant sleep she's afraid to dream, ten years old, my spanish rose, you see things you never should have seen"

Dem some damn fine lyrics in my opinion, and I like the whole Sesame Street feel to the whole song, wicked mon! Just listened to it for the first time in ages.........and hey, are those people in the backround shouting "go bono, go bono"?

Booyakasha!
Old 04-06-2002, 08:06 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
and hey, are those people in the backround shouting "go bono, go bono"?

Booyakasha!
I don't know...Could be...I've always kinda wondered that myself!

------------------

Old 04-06-2002, 08:48 PM   #35
The Fly

i understand Bono's reasons, but seeing him hanging out with Bill Gates for a photo-op, and that revolting Jesse Helms, Orrin Hatch, and the rest of those purile Pat Robertson/Jerry Falwell wannabes is disgusting.
Old 04-06-2002, 08:48 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Actually, the whole "we are the best band in the world" thing and the people's reaction to it sort of amused me. Personally I thought it was a tongue-in-cheek remark, but it seems that many people, fans and non-fans alike, tend to take whatever Bono says sooooo incredibly seriously. I almost think that he sometimes deliberately says stuff like that just to annoy people because he knows the reaction (and attention) it would get.

One thing that made me cringe (apart from Bono's hideous POPMart look) was his Zooropa acceptance speech. I just don't buy this idea that rock stars swearing on TV somehow makes them mega-cool "rebels".

I always thought that Bono's a bit of a dork, to be honest, but hey, I still love him and his lack of fear of being uncool,
Old 04-06-2002, 09:18 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2live:
i understand Bono's reasons, but seeing him hanging out with Bill Gates for a photo-op, and that revolting Jesse Helms, Orrin Hatch, and the rest of those purile Pat Robertson/Jerry Falwell wannabes is disgusting.
I think Bono is cool. I think Orrin Hatch is cool. Why shouldn't they be cool together?

Old 04-06-2002, 09:35 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene:
I always thought that Bono's a bit of a dork, to be honest, but hey, I still love him and his lack of fear of being uncool,
Some chick in my lit class called him that a couple weeks ago, and I wanted to throttle her!

I don't mind people saying "fuck." Heck, I say it on occasion...But people cheering when people say it is just moronic, imho...One of the parts that irks me in the Boston DVD is that when Bono is talking about how he felt "really fucked up" in Albany, the crowd went nuts! okay...so you think it's cool that he felt lousy? No....they thought it was cool that he said "fuck." Sheesh.

------------------

Old 04-06-2002, 09:42 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

wrong thread.

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 04-06-2002).]
Old 04-06-2002, 09:45 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't have a problem with him "hanging" with Republicans (although I would definitely consider myself a Democrat!). Whatever he feels he needs to do to get the job done...But the point is that he CARES and that CAN'T be a bad thing.

------------------