UK paper rates HTDAAB 11/10!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulrg

Refugee
UK tabloid newspaper "The Sun" has a review of How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb and they love it.

You can see the article at:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2004472286,00.html

But here is the text...

IT is the most hotly-anticipated album of the year — and it’s as explosive as its title.

U2’s How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb goes back unashamedly to what the band do and love best — anthemic, majestic, triumphant rock and roll.

Setting their stall out as they mean to continue, first single Vertigo, out on November 8, is big, angry and jagged. Thrusting guitars drive it along at a relentless pace and set the tempo for the rest of the tracks.

These include Miracle Drug, best song on the album, Original Of The Species, second best, Crumbs From Your Table and City Of Blinding Lights — both of which are polished, epic numbers reminiscent of material from The Joshua Tree.

While these songs are the keystone of U2’s 11th studio album, they’re not what How To Dismantle is all about. Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own is a touching ballad.

And for fans of the work BONO did with BRIAN ENO on the PASSENGERS’ Soundtracks album, One Step Closer is a beautiful, electronic, ambient number.

Of course, Bono’s political views creep in On Love And Peace Or Else and Yahweh — the Hebrew word for God — but they never get in the way of the great music. The album is a return to form for Dublin’s finest — but then being off form is something U2 just don’t do.

The quality here is bound to send CHRIS MARTIN into a spiral of paranoia about COLDPLAY’s forthcoming release.

How To Dismantle will be released on November 22.

I give it 11 out of 10.

This is a very encouraging review from a mass market newspaper.

I've just remembered that Bono referenced this newspaper in Last Night On Earth - "she's at the bus stop with The News of the World and The Sun"! It pays to treat the press kindly:wink:

paulrg said:

And for fans of the work BONO did with BRIAN ENO on the PASSENGERS’ Soundtracks album, One Step Closer is a beautiful, electronic, ambient number.

:up:

Remember this is The Sun, folks. Not exactly a prime example of quality journalism. Still, a good review is better than a bad one, provided of course, they've actually heard the album and are not just making this up.:eyebrow:

Jaxx said:
Remember this is The Sun, folks. Not exactly a prime example of quality journalism. Still, a good review is better than a bad one, provided of course, they've actually heard the album and are not just making this up.:eyebrow:

Sure - but it's the paper that is read by the most people in the UK. Plus there was supposed to be a play of the record for the press at Centre Point last night so this would have been where The Sun heard the record.

Funny how 'Crumbs' is considered as b-side material by the NME but the second best song by The Sun.

I don't like Passengers very well, so i'm a little dissapointed with this One Step Closer review. And it's cool that in each different review there is another "best song".

I MUST HEAR MIRACLE DRUG NOW!!! :drool: :drool:

Regardless of The Sun's journalistic talents...it's a review that rates the album above a 10/10 system---that's extrememly enthusiastic. Have you seen them do that with other albums? The album must be wonderful.

paulrg said:
The quality here is bound to send CHRIS MARTIN into a spiral of paranoia about COLDPLAY’s forthcoming release.

:up:

Imagine Chris "spiraling into paranoia" while listening to Vertigo! :laugh:

Last edited:
paulrg said:

These include Miracle Drug, best song on the album, Original Of The Species, second best, Crumbs From Your Table and City Of Blinding Lights — both of which are polished, epic numbers reminiscent of material from The Joshua Tree.

Ever since the first "B-Side" review, "Crumbs" is getting a lot of good attention from the other reviews. Good things. I'm very excited to hear "One Step Closer" now even though I'm not a big fan of passengers. The only songs not mentioned was ABOY and "Man and a Woman," and I think its safe to say those two tracks are of high quality too from the reviews. Bring on more reviews!

paulrg, I'm so sorry.

When I posted the same piece this morning in this forum, I briefly looked through the posts here and didn't see your post, so I thought I would post it.

Only to come back this afternoon to check the forums out to see your thread.:ohmy:

Imagine my regret....:reject:

I want to thank you for being so kind to me by not ripping me up into pieces for this mistake. It shows what a great person you must be. :hug:

"The quality here is bound to send CHRIS MARTIN into a spiral of paranoia about COLDPLAY’s forthcoming release."

anyone else here just absolutely love that line describing HTDAAB

i'm going to go into a spiral of paranoia if i dont hear this album soon dammit! :crazy:

Jamila said:
paulrg, I'm so sorry.

When I posted the same piece this morning in this forum, I briefly looked through the posts here and didn't see your post, so I thought I would post it.

Only to come back this afternoon to check the forums out to see your thread.:ohmy:

Imagine my regret....:reject:

I want to thank you for being so kind to me by not ripping me up into pieces for this mistake. It shows what a great person you must be. :hug:

:) No need to apologise Jamila! This is a great review about everyone here's favourite band so if its posted twice more people are going to see it right.:wink:

Thanks for understanding, paulrg.

You really must be a great person for being so understanding.

You just ELEVATED my day!

I just loved her giving HTDAAB an 11 out of 10! :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom